ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Cosmetics Modification (Exterior/Interior) Discussions
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-01-2008, 05:57 PM   #1
OZ Z4M
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4M Coupe

Interior Rattle

Hi all,

I am the proud owner of a Z4MC. Lately I have had a few rattles in the car. Anyone else have this problem? Car has only done 13000kms have no mods.

Also, on some surfaces a knocking noise is heard at the front passenger side. Sounds like it is coming from inside dash???

Help is needed before I head down to BMW and they have to pull the dash out.

Thanks,
Matt
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2008, 10:39 PM   #2
ANILE8
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupé - Carbon Black

These are sports cars not Maybach Limo's.

Mine and I bet all others are the exact same when drive them the way you were meant to (hard), pump your tyres up to 40psi and travel over anything except a perfectly smooth surface.

It has been my experience that taking your new car to a dealer to fix a small problem (that is not really a problem anyway in your case, as it has been in every Z4 I have been in) can result in the dealer causing more damage.

It is all a matter of degrees.
Nitron NTR R3 | StopTech Trophy Sport STR-60 380x32mm / StopTech Trophy Sport STR-40 355x32mm | Bridgestone RE-71RS | ADV.1 | CDV Delete | TMS Rear Camber Arms | RE Diablo's | 4.10 Gears | Euro Headers | RTD REVO1 Short Shifter
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2008, 05:11 PM   #3
OZ Z4M
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4M Coupe

"These are sports cars not Maybach Limo's" lol

I can handle a few rattles. But this knocking noise is different. it is almost like the dash is cracking. It is more of a metal snapping noise as opposed to a rattle. Like you said, BMW may cause more problems than solve and thats my biggest concern.

I was hoping anyone else may have had the same problem but doesnt seem that way...
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2008, 04:16 PM   #4
Vodka G
Rep
Drives: A Horse

well i've heard some rattle from the convertiable top it seems like....which is normal for a droptop

other than that everything is normal
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2008, 06:09 PM   #5
raypeter
Private
Rep
Drives: x6m

hi, i just had a rattle fixed in my z4m coupe, it sounded like it was coming from behind passenger seat, and sounded like a loose speaker, took it to bmw sylvania, and they accessed it, and booked it in,
apprently there was a screw that had come out in the roof and there was something in roof causeing the knockin sound.
now all fixed, no rattles , and they even replaced the cup holder that was rattleing, so in this case dealer has acctually fixedthe problem with out causeing more problems!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2008, 09:43 PM   #6
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Coupe, Porsche Boxster S

The only coupe rattles I've seen mentioned on forums are speakers, cupholders, and the panel that holds the auxiliary input jack, just above the certer console. Check and make sure those are tight. I agree that this is the sort of thing that dealers often make worse, rather than better.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2008, 11:18 AM   #7
spitfire.one
4 seats good. 2 seats better!
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0si Coupé

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ Z4M View Post
Also, on some surfaces a knocking noise is heard at the front passenger side. Sounds like it is coming from inside dash???
I've got a 2007 3.0si Coupe which had a severe knocking sound coming from the passenger side. Thought the seat was loose until I discovered the seat belt clip was knocking the bulkhead... Just need to make sure the passenger seatbelt is slipped over the seat when not being used.

There are other rattles which irk me, but I've learned to live with them cos the sound and performance of the car more than makes up for it...
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2008, 05:47 AM   #8
Matjo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupé

I have plenty of anoying sound from the boardcomputer/navigation when its open, when I close it it stays quiet. I'm going to have my dealer to look at it. Anyone else experienced the same?
Appreciate 0