BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Another HK Amp shot story & info, '16 Amp Replaced with '17 Amp??

06-13-2017, 10:07 PM   #1
///MIKE M
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

Another HK Amp shot story & info, '16 Amp Replaced with '17 Amp??

Soo after much searching it seems like the amps for these cars are a POS. I can't believe the cars are new and these things are doing this. Luckily my dealer helped me out.

Last week I'm driving to work and out of nowhere this crazy loud static noise(I would describe it like you have a radio tuner on a station that doesn't exist) starts coming from the rear of the car(rear deck). Soo loud and random that I literally jumped. My music was probably half way up and this noise had to me at least double that to put it into perspective.

I never listen to music really loud soo I was like I couldn't have blown the system out. I was really annoyed and worried that this sound was just going to be this loud until I got it fixed. Suddenly, it went to a intermittent popping/cracking sound. Just randomly and sporadically. I drove to work and parked the car. I came back later in the day praying that it would have gone away by itself. But, it was still there randomly. I (thankfully) took my phone out and went to the rear of the car and noticed that the sound was coming from the driver side rear deck speaker. I went home and continued to try and figure it out.

The sound seemed to be tied to even just unlocking the car. I would unlock the car and not even have it on and the popping was able to be heard through the car

I again took a video(thank god)

I called my SA and scheduled an appointment. The next day the sound was gone. It didn't appear again for days. I was soo happy, but still concerned at the same time. I didn't go to my appointment and that day the sound appeared again

I took it in and described my sound to my SA and emailed him the videos(again soo glad I did that)

I'm sure it was going to be "we can not duplicate the sound' without them.

To my surprise they took my video for what it was and suspected the amp to be shot. Gave me a new amp.

Me being me, I took the P/N on my service bill and looked into it.

65 12 6 836 346

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I got a '17 amp installed. I've been trying to look into RealOEM documents and figure it out for sure.

Let me know if anyone knows about this. The '16 '17 amp debate on here is quite the read

I swear there is less ASD and the audio quality is improved.

Anyway, just trying to help others out. If you have an amp issue record it so you can use it. Then the dealer can't tell you "can't duplicate sound' like they like to do. Seems like the amps on these cars aren't the best.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=65_2310

I assume the 'ended one is the one that was originally on my 05/16 build date car.

But, it looks like they changed the amp 4 times according to that

Last edited by ///MIKE M; 06-13-2017 at 10:23 PM..
Appreciate 2
ried791.50
      06-13-2017, 10:16 PM   #2
///MIKE M
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...7&postcount=26

- Read the ASD removal harness thread here. A wiring issue in the rear driver's side speaker causes the rear speakers to be out of phase from the factory. It's very possible BMW caught this and fixed it for MY2017 cars, including the M2.

My issue was the rear driver speaker.
Appreciate 1
ried791.50
      04-29-2019, 02:34 PM   #3
rich8566
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 + Z-4

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
It is not fixed! This just happened today in my 17' M2. Can I pull a fuse to stop this until I can get the car in for service? Which fuse should I pull?