E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Let's talk about the water pump

08-09-2017, 07:31 AM   #1
RED-d
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d Sport, Tuned

Let's talk about the water pump

I've searched this forum for this specific topic about the 335d and the search returns almost every thread. It seems to return anything that has water or pump despite being in quotes. It's not very effective.

I was initially concerned after reading about all the failures with the electronic pump, but I guess now that is a gasser problem as the diesel isn't electronic, right?

Is this something that is on a schedule to replace or do they just typically get replaced upon failure?

Anyone have a link to a diy for the 335d?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2017, 07:46 AM   #2
335stoner
BRR tuned
Rep
Drives: 335D black

it is not electric

When has a water pump ever been a scheduled replacement part on any car?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2017, 08:14 AM   #3
RED-d
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d Sport, Tuned

TDI with timing belt (my other car), and from what I've read about those electric pumps that give out without warning they should be.

Anyway, I found a thread that I missed that talks about this. Ironically, it's titled 'water pump'. Go figure.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2017, 08:15 AM   #4
Thecastle
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
2019 RAM 3500  [0.00]
2020 BMW X3  [0.00]
2016 BMW 550i  [0.00]
2000 Ford F450 7.3l ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335stoner View Post
it is not electric

When has a water pump ever been a scheduled replacement part on any car?
Sadly on N54 BMW's. The cooling systems on 335i's have a real tendency to self destruct about every 60-80k miles. So a lot of the N54 folks would do this as a preventative.

Personally never heard of a 335d needing a cooling pump replacement. Thermostats, yes. Heater control valves yes.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2017, 12:50 PM   #5
robnitro
Captain
Rep
Drives: x5 35d e70 2011

When I did my thermostat, I did the water pump too, since it's right there at the time.
The old water pump was a bit loose, slightly rubbing the impeller against the housing... (I guess under the flow direction, the pressure kept it from rubbing though)
But it didn't leak, so I assume it was within tolerance.

The thermostat is definitely a weak point and can cause issues with glow plugs (they stay on below 75C??) And dpf regen .
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2017, 09:48 PM   #6
Miko226
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11' 335d

My n54 electric water pump failed around 60k but the m57 pump is belt driven and does not appear to fail like clockwork on the n54 platform.

98k on my stock pump.
That being said i still might replace the water pump and Tstat anyway when i do my Harmonic Balancer & Belt Tensioner since i will be in there.

08' n54 135i FBO E85 - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2017, 07:35 AM   #7
335stoner
BRR tuned
Rep

For me if it is not a common failure point im not going to touch it..

I had a run in with my jeep commander that almost cost me the engine... I went to do an oil change and when I dropped the belly pan I saw coolant! so I went to the store and bought a water pump and installed it.. I finish the job and go to burp the coolant and everything went well, but I was not getting hot air in the rear unit I thought it was air and needed a drive.. take it on its maiden voyage and everything was fine then the temp gauge shoots over to hot I pulled over and let it cool and got it home!! though it was air I burped the motor so many times it was not funny... I tried so many different things I would never get the "air" out of the system.. turns out the plastic impeller on the water pump was not seated correctly when it was molded... when the truck was sitting idling the water pump would spin enough to cool the motor, but when you drove the water resistance would not allow it to cool enough when I finally took the new pump off I could hold the impeller and spin the pulley... got a new pump and everything was golden.. that motor overheated (never boiled over) more times then I would like to admit every time I thought it was good it got hot.. Autozone took care of me when I brought them the pump after 3 days they gave me a new bottle of coolant without me even asking for anything other than a swapping the pump. That is enough for me because good customer service is hard to find without raising hell which does not make it good anymore...

wow little rant I had here sorry hahaha I feel better now.. all that to say I will wait till this style of pump leaks before I change it, its not like a timing belt pump.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2017, 08:48 AM   #8
335dlci
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335stoner View Post
For me if it is not a common failure point im not going to touch it..

I had a run in with my jeep commander that almost cost me the engine... I went to do an oil change and when I dropped the belly pan I saw coolant! so I went to the store and bought a water pump and installed it.. I finish the job and go to burp the coolant and everything went well, but I was not getting hot air in the rear unit I thought it was air and needed a drive.. take it on its maiden voyage and everything was fine then the temp gauge shoots over to hot I pulled over and let it cool and got it home!! though it was air I burped the motor so many times it was not funny... I tried so many different things I would never get the "air" out of the system.. turns out the plastic impeller on the water pump was not seated correctly when it was molded... when the truck was sitting idling the water pump would spin enough to cool the motor, but when you drove the water resistance would not allow it to cool enough when I finally took the new pump off I could hold the impeller and spin the pulley... got a new pump and everything was golden.. that motor overheated (never boiled over) more times then I would like to admit every time I thought it was good it got hot.. Autozone took care of me when I brought them the pump after 3 days they gave me a new bottle of coolant without me even asking for anything other than a swapping the pump. That is enough for me because good customer service is hard to find without raising hell which does not make it good anymore...

wow little rant I had here sorry hahaha I feel better now.. all that to say I will wait till this style of pump leaks before I change it, its not like a timing belt pump.
Sounds like it wasn't bled correctly.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2017, 09:00 AM   #9
335stoner
BRR tuned
Rep

it was properly bled the pump was broken from the start.. everything was fine till splines started slipping on the shaft..
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2017, 07:40 PM   #10
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D

stoner, was it a hemi jeep? nice bleed screw on top of my 5.7L coolant system.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2017, 08:26 AM   #11
RollingCoal
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335D

The n54 is guaranteed to let go in the 60-70k mile range, and it is a PITA to change out as far as water pumps go. However the m57 WP is a completely different setup and seems to be very reliable.
Appreciate 0