BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > RPM signal wire?

08-16-2017, 10:11 PM   #1
wsbc
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

RPM signal wire?

Does anyone know a convenient wire to tap into for the RPM signal? There are lots of threads on this for older M3's but given the M2 is rather new I can't seem to find any instructions on which wire (and where) to tap into.

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2017, 06:51 AM   #2
MerlinPurple
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 LBB

The most accurate reading would be from the ECU CANBUS (Flexray) bus, but you'd need a device to connect to it and also know the correct ID's to capture the right frames. Then there's the job of having to decode the hexadecimal data.

Another simpler solution would be to hookup an arduino/raspberry pi with a OBD interface and just use the OBD port. If you wiki OBD PID you'll see a list of generic 'request' commands for things like RPM, Oil Temp etc. I'm pretty sure the data is decoded too once you get it back.

The OBD method can't match the regular CANBUS for speed, but accessories like the P3 gauge use it for displaying basic parameters, so for visual purposes it should be adequate.

Can I ask what your trying to do with the RPM signal?
      08-22-2017, 10:59 AM   #3
wsbc
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

I am trying to wire up a shift light from Ecliptech (link below). I use to have one in my e36 track car and I wanted something similar in the M2, especially since BMW opted to not have shift lights on their cluster like e90 M3. I need a + and - as well as tapping into an RPM signal....or I could go to the coil but was hoping for something more elegant and frankly easier.

https://ecliptech.com.au/shift-p2/
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 08:47 AM   #4
Tiu
Registered
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsbc View Post
I am trying to wire up a shift light from Ecliptech (link below). I use to have one in my e36 track car and I wanted something similar in the M2, especially since BMW opted to not have shift lights on their cluster like e90 M3. I need a + and - as well as tapping into an RPM signal....or I could go to the coil but was hoping for something more elegant and frankly easier.

https://ecliptech.com.au/shift-p2/
hey wsbc, did you ever solved wiring up your ecliptech shift-p2? If not you could try Cartek's CAN Bus Signal Converter (~150USD) possibly?

https://www.cartekmotorsport.com/seq...l-shift-light/
Appreciate 0