E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > after carbon cleaning

09-24-2017, 05:42 PM   #1
chriscpmtmp
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

after carbon cleaning

I had carbon cleaning done on my car about 6 weeks ago. Plus my DFT tank was replaced under warranty.

This car is low mikes (60,000) and I'm plannign on keeping it at least 3 more years. I might sell it to someone I know after that.

I was thinking about blocking off the EGR. If I did that, and left the rest of the exhaust in tact, would I get more or less mileage? I was thinking of a tune as well.

What is the bottom line on emissions? Terrible, or just sort of bad?

If the car thinks the EGR is there, but it is not, woudln't the DFT get dialed way down?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2017, 05:57 PM   #2
atwal187
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: bmw 335d e90 2009

Search the sticky threads, all the info u need on EGR and other emission stuff
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2017, 06:01 PM   #3
chriscpmtmp
Private
Rep

Not really. Lots of conflicting stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atwal187 View Post
Search the sticky threads, all the info u need on EGR and other emission stuff
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2017, 06:24 PM   #4
Major_90
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

Just do this:

Better MPG and less CBU.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2017, 02:15 PM   #5
Andy198712
Major
Rep
Drives: 2010 E91 325d

Any lights?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2017, 11:14 PM   #6
chriscpmtmp
Private
Rep

Thanks. I saw that one. I gave it a shot to test out. My harness has much smaller wires, but it seemed to work. I'll read up on how much this adds to my emissions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major_90 View Post
Just do this:

Better MPG and less CBU.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2017, 11:27 PM   #7
chriscpmtmp
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy198712 View Post
Any lights?
I'm not sure what this means.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 02:15 PM   #8
Andy198712
Major
Rep
Drives: 2010 E91 325d

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscpmtmp View Post
I'm not sure what this means.
Any warning lights on the dash
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 10:24 AM   #9
chriscpmtmp
Private
Rep

I did get a light. I sent my ECU to a guy for this. I figured I'd do a minor tune as well. Lots of shipping problems, and he took a while to ship it back. Then didn't catch that I disconnected the wires, so didn't actually get rid of the code. That stinks.

If I sent it somewhere else, can they leave the tune, and just do the code? Otherwise, I might just read up on the blocking method.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy198712 View Post
Any warning lights on the dash
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 12:57 PM   #10
dmanb2b
Banned
Rep
Drives: G07, F97, F30, E90, E46, E30

Quote:
I did get a light. I sent my ECU to a guy for this. I figured I'd do a minor tune as well. Lots of shipping problems, and he took a while to ship it back. Then didn't catch that I disconnected the wires, so didn't actually get rid of the code. That stinks.

If I sent it somewhere else, can they leave the tune, and just do the code? Otherwise, I might just read up on the blocking method.
Look up Matt Whitbread...he will get you sorted. I only wish I was in MI and close to his shop.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 07:16 PM   #11
Yozh
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M-Sport

OP I’m confused by what you are trying to do. Your car is stock? And you are trying to block the EGR to prevent CBU. Great. Why do you need to ship your DDE somewhere is beyond me.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2017, 02:20 PM   #12
chriscpmtmp
Private
Rep

I am stock.

I disconnected the wire like in the post above to cut the EGR to reduce carbon. The check engine light comes on.

I sent my ECU to a guy for programming. To remove that light and then to do a performance upgrade.

He did the performance upgrade, but did not do the code I needed. So the light is still on.

I think if I do the block method, I'm all set. I'd need to look at some video on that one to see if it withing my capabilities.

Even if it was, I'd rather just have it the way it is now (disconnected wire), and get the light to go out.

So if I sent it to someone else, like the local guy in Milford, can he just do the code without messing up the performance upgrade?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yozh View Post
OP I’m confused by what you are trying to do. Your car is stock? And you are trying to block the EGR to prevent CBU. Great. Why do you need to ship your DDE somewhere is beyond me.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2017, 10:37 PM   #13
rbreding
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328d, 335d, x5d

Quote:
I am stock.

I disconnected the wire like in the post above to cut the EGR to reduce carbon. The check engine light comes on.

I sent my ECU to a guy for programming. To remove that light and then to do a performance upgrade.

He did the performance upgrade, but did not do the code I needed. So the light is still on.

I think if I do the block method, I'm all set. I'd need to look at some video on that one to see if it withing my capabilities.

Even if it was, I'd rather just have it the way it is now (disconnected wire), and get the light to go out.

So if I sent it to someone else, like the local guy in Milford, can he just do the code without messing up the performance upgrade?

I see this wire method as problematic unless the blockoff is used on the exhaust side. If you don't understand why thats a whole 'nother issue.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2017, 12:28 PM   #14
Yozh
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbreding View Post
I see this wire method as problematic unless the blockoff is used on the exhaust side. If you don't understand why thats a whole 'nother issue.
Agree with this completely. Also, you need to be sending your DDE to a right “guy”.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 12:25 AM   #15
chriscpmtmp
Private
Rep

I read some concerns on the original wire method post. It doesn't seem to all fit. Nobody has had a problem that I've seen. I've been running it for a while this way too. A couple 300 mile runs to get it really hot. So that isn't my concern. I like how this way is reversible.

I did talk with the local guy. He has even another way to stop the ERG - purely in software. He claims he can't just map out the code. Instead he would need to trash the existing (minor) performance tune for a newer, better performance tune. I originally committed for next week, but I'm rethinking it now. I'd loose the reversible nature, and would be spending a lot more $$. But ... it would be a completed project. That has appeal since I've been messing with this car since June. Between the cleaning and the shipping of the ECU, I was out of commission for 6 week or so.

So ... if it possible to map out the code, but still keep my existing tune, please let me know. Otherwise, I'll figure the local guy is not making this up. I sort of suspected it anyhow.

Quote:
Agree with this completely. Also, you need to be sending your DDE to a right “guy”.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 06:42 AM   #16
335stoner
BRR tuned
Rep
Drives: 335D black

who is tuning your DDE? I there are a handful of companies who can easily code out the EGR and all the other emission stuff while keeping the tune completely stock. your guy can tune, but not turn off the easy stuff? I would question his tuning abilities. you should probably use someone who know what they are doing.

check these guys out! I do not care for these guys higher-end tunes because they smoke a lot and they still need a JBD to make the big power numbers

BUT they offer really affordable tunes and they offer the ability to turn off what you want and add a light tune.

https://www.dudmd.net/products/m57-3...nt=39341999304

there is a reason why everyone uses the same people to tune these cars.. experience and proven performance
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 07:11 AM   #17
chriscpmtmp
Private
Rep

Thanks. This isn't exactly what I'm talking about though. I'm not stock anymore. I have a light tune. I want to keep it. So at this point, can someone else map out the P0405 code and leave the light tune? I don't think so, but I'm not sure. Even the link you sent says tune, plus codes.

The original guy was JRtune in the UK. I think they were recommended, but they sort of stink. They would re-do it for free, but it took 3 weeks last time. I'm not in for that again. The new guy is diesel opps. Local. So just a stop by. He uses Malone. He is giving me a great deal on a stage 2, but that makes the whole first tune a waste of time and money. It makes me sick really. If I do that, my wiring will be back to stock, which my wife things is a good idea when they do the wiring recall to address the car possibly catching on fire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335stoner View Post
who is tuning your DDE? I there are a handful of companies who can easily code out the EGR and all the other emission stuff while keeping the tune completely stock. your guy can tune, but not turn off the easy stuff? I would question his tuning abilities. you should probably use someone who know what they are doing.

check these guys out! I do not care for these guys higher-end tunes because they smoke a lot and they still need a JBD to make the big power numbers

BUT they offer really affordable tunes and they offer the ability to turn off what you want and add a light tune.

there is a reason why everyone uses the same people to tune these cars.. experience and proven performance
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 07:26 AM   #18
335stoner
BRR tuned
Rep
Drives: 335D black

I see the dilemma

Since JR tuned you DDE you might be able to see if they can send you a different DDE and you send them your old one when it is received?? I think your issue is for what you want to do you are still talking about needing someone to "tune" (which will cost the same as a tune for the service) unless you know someone who is really trustworthy of coding (I know none)

You also have this option

You have a left hand and a right hand.. the left hand has money in it and the right hand has time in it figure out which one is worth more
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2017, 08:29 PM   #19
Yozh
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

I think he speaks of a different JR in UK. Not JR in Canada. JR in Canada is very experienced and can do tunes and coding properly.

Btw, do not just stop the EGR in programming without doing a physical block off. Cracked cooler will be in your future. If you are worried about money just enjoy your lite tune and an engine check light.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2017, 06:11 PM   #20
chriscpmtmp
Private
Rep

Clearly the wrong JR.

I decided to skip the re-do from the local guy and just put it back to stock - basically run the EGR. So I connected the wire, reset the codes and ran it.

That worked for 20 miles, then the light came on. I figured that the wire didn't stay connected when I soldered it. But no, its connected. I just get the light. I res4et it a few times.

For a minute or so after the car is shut off, there is a little whining sound. If I pull the wiring harness off (the one with the ERG wire) the whining stops.

Has anyone heard of this? Any solutions?

Quote:
I think he speaks of a different JR in UK. Not JR in Canada. JR in Canada is very experienced and can do tunes and coding properly.

Btw, do not just stop the EGR in programming without doing a physical block off. Cracked cooler will be in your future. If you are worried about money just enjoy your lite tune and an engine check light.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2017, 10:42 PM   #21
Adieu
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d

My shit makes a whining sound after shutoff too

PS oh wait no it doesnt not anymore... just dropped in a new Ecoguard cheapie filter (after a really really bad experience with a "proper" Mahle) and a new generic Evan Fischer $65 MAF.... guessing its the MAF, somehow.

Still got a couple EGR codes left
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2017, 02:40 AM   #22
eric_dot_com
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 White BMW 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335stoner View Post

Ok this is probably good for me since mine is stock and needed the EGR to be deleted with being coded out. Problem is I’m in California. Idk if this process (combination of light tune & EGR deletes coded) even legal here in California. If anyone can shine some light on this would be great. Oh btw if anyone here from California or knows a reputable Indy or shop locally that able to do tunes and etc pls let me know. Thanks
Appreciate 0