E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Surging Noise After Forge DV Install

11-01-2017, 11:58 PM   #1
ArweenX1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 LCI 335i

Surging Noise After Forge DV Install

What's up guys.
Currently on the car are oem location vrsf inlets and BMS dci. Recently installed Cobb charge pipe and forge dv. At low throttle there's a loud surging noise for a couple seconds and then it goes away. Can't figure out what's causing it.

I have a sound clip. If anyone wants me to send to them.

Any info is much appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2017, 12:34 PM   #2
Chris@VargasTurboTech
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: All Things TurboCharged

Make sure to use a dedicated line to the forge, they don't mandate it in their literature (best I know) but they benefit from an upgraded line.

Also make sure you use the correct spring. Forge tends to recommend springs based on boost pressure, not vacuum, which IMO is the wrong way to do it. When in doubt use a softer spring. If it doesn't hold boost something else is wrong.

Chris
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2017, 12:37 PM   #3
ArweenX1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris@VargasTurboTech View Post
Make sure to use a dedicated line to the forge, they don't mandate it in their literature (best I know) but they benefit from an upgraded line.

Also make sure you use the correct spring. Forge tends to recommend springs based on boost pressure, not vacuum, which IMO is the wrong way to do it. When in doubt use a softer spring. If it doesn't hold boost something else is wrong.

Chris
Are u referring to drilling the hole in the intake manifold? Cause I would really like to avoid that lol and also it's the stock spring it came with. I believe the green ones.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2017, 12:38 PM   #4
Chris@VargasTurboTech
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Yep, drilling a hole in the mani and putting a nicer/bigger line to the BPV's. You have two of the BPV's, so it's even more important. It's not a big deal if you take your time and work slowly.

Chris
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2017, 12:43 PM   #5
ArweenX1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris@VargasTurboTech View Post
Yep, drilling a hole in the mani and putting a nicer/bigger line to the BPV's. You have two of the BPV's, so it's even more important. It's not a big deal if you take your time and work slowly.

Chris
Will that fix the surging noise that's happening down low? Don't have this car for to much longer and would like to avoid permanent mods if possible.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2017, 12:54 PM   #6
Chris@VargasTurboTech
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArweenX1 View Post
Will that fix the surging noise that's happening down low? Don't have this car for to much longer and would like to avoid permanent mods if possible.
Hold the keyboard closer to your car so I can tell....

Try a softer spring in the forge first... see if that helps you out. It's not ideal but might get you close enough.

Chris
Appreciate 1
feuer4275.50
      11-02-2017, 04:54 PM   #7
Ilma
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Lol.....before doing anything else, check if there are YELLOW springs in the package. If so - swap to the yellow ones.

The green ones don't hold enough boost and are too soft, so they are probably venting too soon, which is probably making the noise you are hearing.
Appreciate 1
      11-02-2017, 05:17 PM   #8
ArweenX1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilma View Post
Lol.....before doing anything else, check if there are YELLOW springs in the package. If so - swap to the yellow ones.

The green ones don't hold enough boost and are too soft, so they are probably venting too soon, which is probably making the noise you are hearing.
Didn't come with any additional springs. Just to be sure, this is what I'm looking for correct?
https://www.forgemotorsport.com/Upra...duct--825.html
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2017, 05:28 PM   #9
mfractal
VAG Survivor
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Quote:

Didn't come with any additional springs. Just to be sure, this is what I'm looking for correct?
I am positive that the forge kit comes with an extra yellow spring. Weird yours came without it but I doubt it's your problem. I haven't had any such noises on the green OR yellow springs.
      11-02-2017, 05:43 PM   #10
ArweenX1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfractal View Post
Quote:
Quote:

I am positive that the forge kit comes with an extra yellow spring. Weird yours came without it but I doubt it's your problem. I haven't had any such noises on the green OR yellow springs.
Yea it seems off, I'll contact them Tommorow and see if it's supposed to be included. Also I have inlets that's why I'm assuming its making the surge noise with the weaker spring under low Rpms. Quick question is this the proper spring for them? https://www.forgemotorsport.com/Upra...duct--825.html
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2017, 06:40 PM   #11
Ilma
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
Yup.........it states right in their ad that the green springs are only rated for 5-10 psi.

Last edited by Ilma; 11-02-2017 at 07:00 PM..
Appreciate 1
      11-10-2017, 04:19 AM   #12
bradsm87
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: F25 LCI xDrive30d

Quote:
Yup.........it states right in their ad that the green springs are only rated for 5-10 psi.
It also says:

"Note: The quoted spring pressure (PSI) relates to the un-assisted clamping force of the spring and should NOT be taken as an equivalent to boost pressure when determining suitability. Once a valve is fitted to a car it is subjected to various pressures that act upon the diaphragm or piston to aid its respective ability to seal or hold boost. An example of this, would be when using a FMCL007P valve on a 1.8T engine as found in the TT 225hp. The boost pressure on a "chipped" car can peak at 26psi. The recommended spring would be the Green or Yellow."

A spring can't be rated to a positive boost pressure, only a vacuum pressure before venting. I'd personally use the green spring. The stock DVs start to open at only -3.5psi vacuum.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2017, 10:58 AM   #13
Chris@VargasTurboTech
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradsm87 View Post
It also says:

"Note: The quoted spring pressure (PSI) relates to the un-assisted clamping force of the spring and should NOT be taken as an equivalent to boost pressure when determining suitability. Once a valve is fitted to a car it is subjected to various pressures that act upon the diaphragm or piston to aid its respective ability to seal or hold boost. An example of this, would be when using a FMCL007P valve on a 1.8T engine as found in the TT 225hp. The boost pressure on a "chipped" car can peak at 26psi. The recommended spring would be the Green or Yellow."

A spring can't be rated to a positive boost pressure, only a vacuum pressure before venting. I'd personally use the green spring. The stock DVs start to open at only -3.5psi vacuum.
Ding ding ding! Well said.

They all work about the same way. We subscribe to the way Tial recommends it be set up, which is more based on vacuum than boost.

Chris
Appreciate 1
bradsm87595.50
      11-14-2017, 06:28 AM   #14
mfractal
VAG Survivor
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

so basically if the car sees around 10psi of vaccum we should set the spring accordingly