BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > BMW M2 vs M240i Thoughts after loan car.

11-24-2017, 03:53 AM   #1
krizze
Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4 -Skoda Octavia VRS

BMW M2 vs M240i Thoughts after loan car.

Hello all,

today i took my car to service, i drive a 2017 Pre LCI BMW M2. with the following improvements
AST 5100 suspension
BMW M Performance Exhaust
HRE R101LW Wheels in Bronze
Full Carbon Exterior diffuser and lip spoiler and carbon interior
Endless ME22 Brake pads and Goodridge Brake cables.

Now i was given today a brand new BMW M240i which i was rather excited about to see the difference in engine and gearbox respectivly.

Now after doing about 600km in it using different types of surfaces and driving styles i must admit i rather enjoy it, the engine is incredibly responsive the torque is there and it really does pull, hard to tell the difference between the N55 and B58 if you don't know what you're talking about, the gearbox is great but i prefer the visceral feeling of the 7 speed the DCT the 8 speed is almost too smooth, it feels like it is less involving.

The suspension is nowhere near as good its far too soft and doesn't instil confidence at all but still engaging enough when you feel like attacking some twisties ( stock vs stock not counting my AST ), i understand that its not a full fat M car but i am just giving my honest opinion on the plus side its quiet and comfortable which is something the M2 can't be but then again thats not why people buy it.

The brakes also mediocre at best. the LCI interior isn't to my taste the dials are small compared to the grey Pre LCI and i don't like the dashboard change, but i am just being fussy, the car is fantastic and has more or less all the gadgets the M2 has, the sound outside sounds good, its again quiet but good, i'm sure if you get an exhaust system and a De-cat it can sound very good. ASD is very obvious in the M240i.

the car was also fitted with electric seats which even at the lowest setting feel like you're sat on the roof of the car so i am very happy i got the manual ones, Sun roof fitted also although i didn't use it once and aside from that is has the latest touch screen idrive which is too far away to safely use with my hands while driving and i much prefer the standard non touch screen idrive.

Summary:

even though i may have sounded negative the car is fantastic, i really had to really nitpick to find issues with the car, its comfortable and when it wants to be its very fast, the way it picks up speed is crazy when from the outside it just seems like a normal 2 series coupe, and this brings me to my main and final point, the 2 series is a wonderful comfortable coupe, yeah sure you can change the suspension and brakes also but by the time you have done it you are approching a second hand M2, looking at it from afar i couldn't get used to the fact it didn't have big wide body the M2 has, the aggresive quadpipes at the back and the intimidating front end, it doesn't have that sense of occasion that the M2 has, it just feels like a quick car like a wolf in sheeps clothing
,it made me say '' oh wow this car is quick'', but it didn't make me smile or laugh like the M2 does on a regular basis. but please don't read this and think i am just trying to put it down, its brilliant it really is and i am sure for someone who is looking for a daily for all seaons then its brilliant i would get the 240i XDRIVE.

i really enjoyed it a solid 8/10.

i hope it helped some people.

Last edited by krizze; 12-19-2017 at 03:35 AM..
Appreciate 5
Robin_NL8720.00
termigni1081.00
Corinne1171.00
      11-24-2017, 04:20 AM   #2
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

Thanks for sharing. Do you have a picture of R101LW in bronze on that m2?
      11-24-2017, 07:57 AM   #3
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by krizze View Post
Hello all,

today i took my car to service, i drive a 2017 Pre LCI BMW M2. with the following improvements
AST 5100 suspension
BMW M Performance Exhaust
HRE R101LW Wheels in Bronze
Full Carbon Exterior diffuser and lip spoiler and carbon interior
Endless ME22 Brake pads and Goodridge Brake cables.

Now i was given today a brand new BMW M240i which i was rather excited about to see the difference in engine and gearbox respectivly.

Now after doing about 600km in it using different types of surfaces and driving styles i must admit i rather enjoy it, the engine is incredibly responsive the torque is there and it really does pull, hard to tell the difference between the N55 and B58 if you don't know what you're talking about, the gearbox is great but i prefer the visceral feeling of the 7 speed the DCT the 8 speed is almost too smooth, it feels like less involving.

The suspension is nowhere near as good but still engaging when you feel like attacking some twisties ( stock vs stock not counting my AST ), i understand that its not a full fat M car but i am just giving my honest opinion on the plus side its quiet and comfortable which is something the M2 can't be but then again thats not why people buy it.

The brakes also mediocre at best. the LCI interior isn't to my taste the dials are small compared to the grey Pre LCI and i don't like the dashboard change, but i am just being fussy, the car is fantastic and has more or less all the gadgets the M2 has, the sound outside sounds good, its again quiet but good, i'm sure if you get an exhaust system and a De-cat it can sound very good. ASD is very obvious in the M240i.

the car was also fitted with electric seats which even at the lowest setting feel like you're sat on the roof of the car so i am very happy i got the manual ones, aside from that is has the latest touch screen idrive.

Summary:

the car is fantastic, i really had to really nitpick to find issues with the car, its comfortable and when it wants to be its very fast, the way it picks up speed is crazy when from the outside it just seems like a normal 2 series coupe, and this brings me to my main and final point, the 2 series is a wonderful comfortable coupe, yeah sure you can change the suspension and brakes also but by the time you have done it you are approching a second hand M2, looking at it from afar i couldn't get used to the fact it didn't have big wide body the M2 has, the aggresive quadpipes at the back and the intimidating front end, it doesn't have that sense of occasion that the M2 has, it just feels like a quick car like a wolf in sheeps clothing
,it made me say '' oh wow this car is quick'', but it didn't make me smile or laugh like the M2 does on a regular basis. but please don't read this and think i am just trying to put it down, its brilliant it really is and i am sure for someone who is looking for a daily for all seaons then its brilliant i would get the 240i XDRIVE.

i really enjoyed it a solid 8/10.

i hope it helped some people.
Thanks for your comments. doug_999 notice the comments on manual seats vs power seats.. even in the M2.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2017, 03:39 AM   #4
krizze
Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4 -Skoda Octavia VRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post
Thanks for sharing. Do you have a picture of R101LW in bronze on that m2?
i still have my fire service wrap, will do some more when the car is black again
Attached Images

Appreciate 0