BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

05-26-2008, 01:39 AM   #1
WKBRDR
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

water spots

Whats the best way to get rid of or prevent water spots? I use a mix of vinegar and distilled water on my boat, is that safe for the M3??

thanks

-20% Tint/GP Thunder 8500k Bulbs/BMW Performance Pedals/AFE Air Filter/Eisenmann Race
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2008, 02:46 AM   #2
L~R~G nor cal
Perfection Is In The Details
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 E90

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WKBRDR View Post
Whats the best way to get rid of or prevent water spots? I use a mix of vinegar and distilled water on my boat, is that safe for the M3??

thanks
Yes, it is 100% safe for your car.

Although you have another option as well. When I was looking for a better way to take off water spots I found a product made by ChemicalGuys that is called CG WaterSpot Remover. It is simple to use, just wash your car, and clay it. Them use a MF towel or a foam applicator pad and wipe it on the area that has water spots. Let is sit for 35-50 seconds and hose it off with water. It works better than vinegar and water because CG WaterSpot Remover actually lifts the calcium deposits (water spots are caused by calcium build up) to the top of the surface, and the deposits can just be rinsed off. This is key because calcium deposits can scratch the paint if you try rubbing them off.

The CG WaterSpot Remover can not be ordered from the website so you have to call them directly. Feel free to look around the website and buy anything else that you might need. I highly recommend all the MF towels they sell, the CG 50/50 wax, the JetSeal109 sealant, SpeedWipe Quick Detailer, Citrus Wash and Gloss shampoo (but it is used for details when you are going to apply wax, because it will strip wax), and the CG Wheel Gel that they are coming out with soon. Call and ask for Paul and tell him I (Jared) sent you and he will give you a discount.

As far as staying away from water spots you can do a couple of things. You can buy a water deionizer like CR Spotless, make sure you stay away from sprinklers, and never wash your car in direct sunlight.

Hope this helps and feel free to PM me any other questions, or just reply on this thread.

Thanks,

Jared
      05-26-2008, 11:29 PM   #3
WKBRDR
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Thanks for the info.

-20% Tint/GP Thunder 8500k Bulbs/BMW Performance Pedals/AFE Air Filter/Eisenmann Race
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 12:47 AM   #4
bmwprince4life
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: none

this is good to know
i had this problem on my benz
      06-09-2008, 01:42 PM   #5
johnL
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e46 M3

I've been washing my cars with CR Spotless and it really helps with the water spot problem.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2008, 07:33 AM   #6
Bdez
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Jerez & Fox & X5 3.0d

Guys for what its worth we have Level 6 water restrictions in Brisbane which means that we cant use town water to wash cars at all (in fact no outdoor hosing full stop). Many of us have installed rain water tanks which run off the down pipes for general garden and car wash use – in my case of I have a slim line 3000 litre (1321 gallons) with a basic water pump on it that fits down one side of the house. I’d always been plagued with water spots when using town water partly also because Brisbane is hot and humid even in winter and the car drys quickly. Since using a rainwater tank for washing the car I have never had a water spot problem obviously because the rain water doesn’t have the same issues as town water. Depending on how much you hate water spots a tank might be an alternative ?
Appreciate 0