E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Earthquake SWS and spacer discovery

05-26-2008, 10:23 PM   #1
badfish
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 AW M3

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Earthquake SWS and spacer discovery

Hey guys, I was fairly disappointed after installing the SWS-8 with my Alpine PDX-5 which gave them plenty of juice. The bass extension just wasn't there and the output wasn't what I expected. I had a slight rattle on the passenger side and I thought it was because I forgot to put in the 2 nuts to hold the box down but what I discovered was that the cone of the sub was hitting either the carpet or the grill.

I rushed to install my subs in one night so I would have everything installed before Bimmerfest. In my rush I didn't have a chance to test the subs before putting the seats back on. So this time, I had the grill removed and carpet pulled up on the passenger side and the difference was night and day. I put the carpet back down and to my disgust, I saw that it was pushing against the speaker surround. A post in another thread suggested that I needed to go at least .5" with the spacer so that is what I did. Having this thick of a spacer is the heart of the problem.

I broke off the plastic reinforcement tabs at the bottom of the box to see what the shallowest spacer I could go with is. I now believe that with the tabs broken off, I can now get away with a .25" spacer. That extra .25" will go a long way in clearing that carpet.

So that was just my little discovery over the long weekend. I just recently purchased an Alpine PLT-5 subwoofer system to help out the bottom end but I don't think I'll need it now since the low end looks like it will improve a lot after the spacer is reduced. I think the addition of an Audio Control DQXS will seal the deal. I didn't want to put a sub in my M3 because of the weight as the Alpine system weighs close to 50 pounds. I'll work on the spacers this week and report back. But if anyone is running spacers .5" or thicker, I think you will run into the same problem...

I'm also tempted to just clear out the surrounding carpet and fab a new speaker grill. I'll try the shorter spacer first.
      05-26-2008, 11:10 PM   #2
LaYzEe
Major
Rep
Drives: AW E92 335i

Yeh, the SWS' are a little taller than the OEM subs so u def need some kind of spacers to make em fit perfectly. As for those tabs at the bottom of the enclosure, I actually didnt break any of them since i just covered the bottom with dynamat. I just made sure that my spacers were enough to make sure the SWS' were nailed in properly without any leaks. I also had problems with the carpet too! So what i actually did was also pull out the carpet and place it over the grill so that the carpet doesnt touch the sub at all.

The only problem I have now is that the sideskirts (front door sides) rattle louder since the subs hit deeper now. Also on my MTX amp, i got my gain level below 1/4th and it still hits pretty hard. If i go over that 1/4th mark, the subs has that annoying thud sound, not so sure why...maybe its hitting the grill? never tried using the subs without the grill though...too LaYzEe...
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2008, 11:19 PM   #3
sageashton
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i, Manual

LOL. And here I was thinking that you must have wanted the ground to shake outside the car too! Seriously, glad you figured that out. BTW, I hooked up with Frank from Traffic Jamz and had him go over my entire install as I was loosing something from the mid, bass was good but everything else sounded 'off'. I tell after two hours that guy had figured every flaw in my entire install and my car sounded awesome. He is in Encino and could probably help if you need him to.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2008, 11:06 PM   #4
badfish
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
I took a video of the sub now that it clears. It sounds great. Time to do the other side.

06-04-2008, 11:16 PM   #5
sageashton
Second Lieutenant
Rep

So glad you figured that out. Did you ever get the other trunk lining installed or do you think that you are fine now and won't need a second amp for a sub in the trunk? Now when you stand outside the car you can hear all the vibration of the interior panels (but it sounds really good from the inside) and get it loud enough and you get a great butt massage!
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2008, 11:26 PM   #6
evoi19
Lieutenant General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80C

sorry i'm a newb when it comes to this, but what did you use for a spacer and where did you put it? I was going to buy the sws but wanted to pick everything up before the install. Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2008, 06:08 AM   #7
LaYzEe
Major
Rep

M335I used these:
Quote:
Originally Posted by M335i View Post
I had to use a 1/2" MDF spacer so that there was absolutely no movement. Some said 1/4" would work but it was still too thin for me. Still need to seal the edges and run the wires.

I used dynamat and placed it around the whole ring and sides.

But for the "spacers" i just simply cut a pen into 4 pieces (maybe 1/2 inch or so) and used those. HAHA. and it works ok! nice n snug!

u just have to make sure the fitment is nice and tight. no leaks or else the subs wont hit properly.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2008, 06:19 AM   #8
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfish View Post
I took a video of the sub now that it clears. It sounds great. Time to do the other side.

Damn.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2008, 06:38 AM   #9
Atsnow
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335xi, 2010 Boxster S

Quote:

Hey thanks for this

I bought the SWS-8 about a month ago and have already installed my amp (I have 500W rms ready for them ) but have been hesitant between installing them or do a custom box in the trunk.
this video just convinced me that it's worth the effort

thank you for posting it
      06-05-2008, 06:40 AM   #10
Atsnow
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaYzEe View Post
But for the "spacers" i just simply cut a pen into 4 pieces (maybe 1/2 inch or so) and used those. HAHA. and it works ok! nice n snug!
Not sure what you mean

you used a pen to space them and then sealed them like that with silicone?
      06-05-2008, 07:24 AM   #11
LaYzEe
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackb View Post
Not sure what you mean

you used a pen to space them and then sealed them like that with silicone?
I guess u can say i used those 1/2 cut pen parts as washers for the nails. Then yeh, I used the dynamat and made a seal making sure its air tight.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2008, 12:37 PM   #12
Atsnow
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I guess u can say i used those 1/2 cut pen parts as washers for the nails. Then yeh, I used the dynamat and made a seal making sure its air tight.
Thanks
I'll use that ( you should say it in your DIY)
      06-05-2008, 01:14 PM   #13
badfish
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sageashton View Post
So glad you figured that out. Did you ever get the other trunk lining installed or do you think that you are fine now and won't need a second amp for a sub in the trunk? Now when you stand outside the car you can hear all the vibration of the interior panels (but it sounds really good from the inside) and get it loud enough and you get a great butt massage!
I have the other trunk lining but I haven't put it in yet. I still need to order the DQXS. With the subwoofer spacing issue fixed, I'm 99.9% sure I don't need another sub. Especially when I get the DQXS, I can really dial it in perfectly. With the new trunk liner, everything will fit and hide away as if there was no audio work done to my car at all.

I really didn't want to add the weight since I have an M car. I bought that Alpine PLT-5 and the sucker weighs close to 50 pounds. I spent a ton of money on an titanium exhaust to shave of 37 pounds and it would be lost the moment I put that sub in there.

I am attaching something that I hope someone might find useful. It is the template I use to cut my spacers. It takes a lot of time to get it right and this template is damn close. To use this, you need to have a printer that is capable of 11x17 printing or a sticker cutting machine that can cut this out for you. This is not for 8.5x11 printers!!! I just made copies of this, used spray glue to adhere it to the 1/4" MDF and I used my jigsaw to cut these out. Cut the middle circle out first! Once it's cut out, test fit it. You can use silicone or if you have a super hot glue gun some hot glue to adhere it to the box. Once that's done, position your speaker on top, then drill some small holes and you can actually use the OEM screws for the subwoofer to hold it all in place.

One is in landscape and the other is in portrait. Play around with those settings so that your printer can print it out correctly. Do not resize/scale the template or else it won't work!
Attached Images
File Type: pdf speakertemplate.pdf (57.3 KB, 598 views)
File Type: pdf speakertemplate2.pdf (58.3 KB, 466 views)
      06-05-2008, 01:37 PM   #14
sageashton
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Awesome. I think I will use those. FYI, for mine I just siliconed the lining and let it sit for two days to dry. Then put the subs in and siliconed the gap (including a ton where that square opening is. However, it was not the cleanest, so I think I will use your templates.

BTW, what did you use, 1/4" mdf?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2008, 03:00 PM   #15
badfish
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sageashton View Post
BTW, what did you use, 1/4" mdf?
Yep, at Home Depot they sell 2'x4' sheets for about $6-7. I have a bunch left...
      06-05-2008, 03:16 PM   #16
LaYzEe
Major
Rep

badfish, do u think when the SWS bumps, the top of the sub hits the stock grill over it? I was looking at ur video again and it looks like the sub jumps pretty high.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2008, 03:20 PM   #17
badfish
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
badfish, do u think when the SWS bumps, the top of the sub hits the stock grill over it? I was looking at ur video again and it looks like the sub jumps pretty high.
Actually I don't believe it will. I eyeballed it and it looks like it will be fine. I didn't put the grill back over it though so I can't say for sure. I'm really tempted to make an all new grill that's more perforated than the OEM grill and cut out more carpet so that it's not obstructed so much. But I'll try putting the OEM grill back on there to see how it works out.
      06-05-2008, 04:16 PM   #18
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
I have the other trunk lining but I haven't put it in yet. I still need to order the DQXS. With the subwoofer spacing issue fixed, I'm 99.9% sure I don't need another sub. Especially when I get the DQXS, I can really dial it in perfectly. With the new trunk liner, everything will fit and hide away as if there was no audio work done to my car at all.

I really didn't want to add the weight since I have an M car. I bought that Alpine PLT-5 and the sucker weighs close to 50 pounds. I spent a ton of money on an titanium exhaust to shave of 37 pounds and it would be lost the moment I put that sub in there.

I am attaching something that I hope someone might find useful. It is the template I use to cut my spacers. It takes a lot of time to get it right and this template is damn close. To use this, you need to have a printer that is capable of 11x17 printing or a sticker cutting machine that can cut this out for you. This is not for 8.5x11 printers!!! I just made copies of this, used spray glue to adhere it to the 1/4" MDF and I used my jigsaw to cut these out. Cut the middle circle out first! Once it's cut out, test fit it. You can use silicone or if you have a super hot glue gun some hot glue to adhere it to the box. Once that's done, position your speaker on top, then drill some small holes and you can actually use the OEM screws for the subwoofer to hold it all in place.

One is in landscape and the other is in portrait. Play around with those settings so that your printer can print it out correctly. Do not resize/scale the template or else it won't work!
Excellent contribution, badfish...
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2008, 04:35 PM   #19
badfish
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Excellent contribution, badfish...
Thanks, I think ideally someone should mass produce these. Cutting out thin spacers out of MDF is not something I enjoy doing. It's not hard, just time consuming and somewhat tedious. You'll easily spend 2 hours tracing and sanding to get these things right. It took me probably 20-30 minutes to make a posterboard template of the spacer.
      06-06-2008, 11:35 PM   #20
scooby9
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 BMW 335xi

Thanks for the templates! Haven't used my jigsaw in a few years now. Time to blow off the dust and give these a go!

Quote:

06-12-2008, 10:25 PM   #21
Atsnow
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Actually I don't believe it will. I eyeballed it and it looks like it will be fine. I didn't put the grill back over it though so I can't say for sure. I'm really tempted to make an all new grill that's more perforated than the OEM grill and cut out more carpet so that it's not obstructed so much. But I'll try putting the OEM grill back on there to see how it works out.
did you put the grill back?
was it ok?
      06-13-2008, 03:20 AM   #22
jonywalker
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW E91 325d

Quote:

The templates are pretty fine I think a lot people will benefit from the contribution you made. If you have the files in image format please use them, because PDF maker automatically scales the image size for printable.

I feel so lucky to have Audio-System subs, which are made especially für BMW E85 and E90, so I don't need the spacer, and the way to hit the carpet is therefore longer. But it is still possible for them to hit the carpet or grill, but if that happes it would sound really really terrible outside the car, it is really a different world inside and outside the car

Whether or not to use the DQXS is the consideration under sound improvement it is another view of point, but I think cutting off the frequency below 20 hz would reduce the range of the movement of membrane by lot, it is the subsonic frequence that brings the membrane in large movement.
Appreciate 0