BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

05-28-2008, 02:07 PM   #1
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
Ultimate guide to M-DCT

Ultimate guide to M-DCT

This thread is for you members with DCT M3s to post comments on ownership with the newest most advanced transmission from BMW. Please post comments that not only explain what is exciting about living with the system but also what annoys you about the system, as after all this thread's purpose is to help would be customers pick the right transmission for them.

Feel free to write as little or as much as you like but please keep to the facts of what's good and bad and please put a summary of the plus and minus points at the end of each post.

Thanks for your support.

Footie.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 02:57 PM   #2
bmwprince4life
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: none

there is nothin wrong with m dct. Dont hate lol. We can drive and eat burger at same time
      05-28-2008, 06:00 PM   #3
milk242
Captain
Rep
Drives: Car

once i get my car in I'll post every little thing I like and don't like about mdct... too bad I can't compare it to smg.
20 Tesla Model 3
23 Audi R8 (on order, never came )
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 10:00 PM   #4
JEllis
Major General
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3

I have not received my M3 yet but I have driven Swamps as posted in the General Section.

I have driven both the 6MT and the MDCT

As stated in my other thread, I did not notice a lag in throttle response, I did not notice a lag in the time between hitting the paddle and the actual shift (although I was in S5), and the cars acceleration was brutal and ridiculous.

I am not sure I can find something that I do not like thus far. However, ownership may bring with it some issues.

I guess make sure you do not get your tranny fluid changed when you get your 1200 mile service!

So far all postive!!!

Jason
      05-28-2008, 10:01 PM   #5
reinaldo335
First Lieutenant
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: m3 ZCP 6MT, on order 09 m3 6MT

launch control dct will blast 6mt away.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 10:26 PM   #6
skierman64
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3-E46M3-E46Wagon-E89Z4-E36

Garage List
1994 325is Race Car  [0.00]
2011 BMW Z4  [0.00]
1998 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2008 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
Things I love about DCT:

1. Smooth take up (acceleration) from a dead stop
2. Can start out in second gear from a dead stop if you so choose, like when the engine is cold
3. Smooth upshifting in S2 and S3
4. Nice tug when upshifting in S4 or S5
5. Rev matched downshifts aways smooth regardless of rpm or gear
6. Can shift to neutral at any time regardless of speed
7. Perfect feel of the paddle shifters and gearshift selector
8. Low speed assist works great in first or second gear
9. Automatic mode works even better than a real automatic
10. Engine braking is significant in all gears, can easily drive and maintain position in traffic without need for the brake. Downshifts are so smooth, that progressively downshifting down to 3rd gear when approaching a stop light or stop sign means the brakes don't need to be used until about 30 mph, depending on conditions.
11. Shifting is so easy to do that I can always be in the right gear for any situation
12. Seven gears = always a good gear for any situation (eight in you include reverse)
13. Launch control (and I haven't been able to use it yet)
14. 6MT drivers in my rear view mirror

Things I don't love about DCT:
1. Slight delay from actuation of the shift lever until the rpm drops on upshifts (easily compensated for by driver adjustment)
2. Uneducated people think it's an automatic transmission and therefore think you're not a serious driver if you're driving DCT (very, very small on the "give a shit" scale)
3. I have to put my foot on the brake to shift into first gear from neutral or reverse. (Liability issue I'm sure)
4. Because the gear selection indicator is below the time/temp in the dash, I lose the option to select a third data point as 6MTs can. (minor grip) Actually, the time is displayed on Idrive, so all I lose by selecting another data point is temperature.
      05-28-2008, 10:39 PM   #7
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2008, 01:24 AM   #8
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
Bravo skierman64, that is exactly the kind of comments we are requiring in this thread, accurate and straight to the point.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2008, 02:44 AM   #9
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

General: (source)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
To me the transmission (M-DCT) is the most interesting and compelling option available with the car and the one that makes it the most unique. Since others have spoken about the car's performance once broken in and most of us have seen plenty of videos, I'll go right to M-DCT, which is the area where much information and discussion is lacking.

M-DCT is fantastic, period. The two basic modes and all of the sub-modes are fantastic as well. Just like the rest of the car (stability control, steering, suspension, throttle) M-DCT is highly adjustable. It defaults to manual mode and a quick flick of the lever to the right places it in automatic mode. I was so excited and nervous when driving off from the dealer I just stuck with automatic mode for a bit. In the lower modes all upshifts occur quite early (at low rpm) and are silky smooth yet still incredibly quick. 7th gear arrives so quickly and with no drama even when puttering around side streets. Rev matches during downshifting are subtle. When increasing the mode number (hence the aggressiveness) the shifts occur at higher and higher rpms. As well the eagerness to downshift (pedal depression required to initiate, specifically) and number of gears that will be taken when quickly stabbing the throttle all nicely ramp up through the modes. In the higher modes 7th->5th (or even 4th) is quick and occurs effortlessly when you just grab even a moderate amount of throttle. Of course it will go even further 7->3 (or whatever) but there is some risk of getting way above the recommended break in rpm limit by doing nothing more than just jamming the gas pedal down. As you might guess I have not used the kick down feature as that would clearly take you well over the suggested rpm limit during break in. If it is anywhere as good as 7->5, I’ll be thrilled.
Moving over to manual mode to use the beautiful full aluminum paddles brings some excitement as well. Like all area of the car the attention to detail is great, the + and – signs are etched into the aluminum and then they are clear anodized. There is a very slight but noticeable delay between the paddle click and the beginning of an upshift. Lucid and others have mentioned a more severe case of this with the VW DSG in the GTI. I suspect this delay is only a very small fraction of what they have reported. Many might say the delay is so short that there is not delay but for sure it is there. Because of this it is actually fairly easy to get past your desired shift point. This is definitely not a real annoyance or detractor but this slight delay is there. This delay actually seems to be longer for upshifts and shorter for downshifts. When driving aggressively the shift lights will absolutely help nail ideal shift points. Manual modes 1-3 are all quite smooth and fast. The real distinctions among them will not be clear until some higher rpm or track work comes around or until instrumented testing can be accomplished. In S4 and S5 you do feel the surge (jerk, snap, jolt, etc.) on upshift that has been discussed extensively here on the forum. Of course the higher rpm of your shift and the further you are in to the throttle the larger the surge is. That being said it is never close to the jerk of SMG (nor that of a well executed shift in a manual). It may be the case that the surge changes smoothly from S1->S5 but as of now it does seem like it is only present in S4 and S5. Double upshifts do catch the in between gear for just a spit second and then continues right on to the selected gear. However, double paddle downshifts seem to skip the middle gear entirely. If they catch the middle gear it is not at all obvious from watching the tach and listening. The double downshifts are definitely more impressive, but who really needs a double upshift when accelerating with any vigor whatsoever? In this way the M-DCT during upshfiting is very much like a true sequential. At this point my favorite mode is probably S3, just a perfect combination of speed, feel and rev matching. Take off from a start, wind her up to the recommended 5500 rpm limit (grab the paddle at about 5000) and boom, you are in second in an instant, fast but smooth, the revs build really fast right back to 5000 rpm again, grab the paddle again and you are in 3rd, again in an instant. Like Chris from Autocar said, “it’s like a dog box… like driving a racing car”. Lather, rinse, repeat, it is almost brainless yet is still quite satisfying at the same time. I can't wait for the M-DCT experience at 8000+ rpm and at those rpms in the twisties. Launch control will certainly be a huge blast as well. I just need to keep up the proper restraint until the magic 1st service.
+ and -: (source)

Quote:
Advantages of DCT(not in any particular order, except the first):
  • DCT is THE single option that will make the car have better performance, straights and twisties (it is very close to a 6MT with 440 hp and 320 ft lb torque)
  • DCT is customizeable through software (perhaps both BMW and other)
  • Manual modes via paddles and stick and automatic mode for traffic jams, comfort or inexperienced drivers
  • DCT allows one to focus on more cerebral and challenging aspects of performance driving
  • DCT provides better fuel economy
  • Launch control should be fun, fast and consistent
  • No "money shifts" with DCT
  • DCT is race technology for the road and BMW claims it is designed for race level "abuse"
  • Rev matched downshifts
  • The inherently smooth shifts with DCT may provide less shock and better wear of some transmission components
  • Clutch pedals are so 1950s

Advantages of MT:
  • Simplicity and perhaps reliability
  • False pride in your rowing abilities enabled by MT

Kick down feature: (source)

Quote:
Small update: Kick down.

Sorry I have not yet posted any LC videos. I have not actually even used it yet. Getting to redline these days and playing more with the DSC system settings, fun, fun. What I did finally give a try is the kick down feature. While in any manual (S) mode you can obtain the best gear for maximum acceleration whether that is 1 shift down or 5 nearly instantly with this feature. Simply floor the gas hold down the left paddle and BOOM in as fast as a single shift (maybe "only" as fast as the sum of two nearly instant down shifts) you are instantly in the best gear and really accelerating. The advantages over a MT here are fairly obvious: no deciding which gear, no complex movements to get to the right gear, no chance of over-rev, no chance of grinding, perfect throttle control and did I mention it is FAST. This is not all that useful when driving aggressively to begin with but is very useful when cruising at fairly low rpm in a high gear and (for one reason or another ) you want instant and max acceleration. Mostly played with it using 7-4 shifts begining at about 70-80 mph.

Fun, fun, fun.
Launch control: (source)

Quote:
When using LC all shifts are fully automatic, despite it being in S6 mode (a manual mode). Shifts are right at redline. This works properly ONLY if you keep the pedal glued to the floor.

I finally used it myself (obviously). It is a bit scary and I am a bit embarrassed that it is not quite as easy as it seems. However it is all me and not the car. The first time I accelerated a bit slower than expected and left a huge could of smoke. I think you really want to use MDM when using LC to limit wheel spin. It also appeared it was not going to do the 1-2 shift so I grabbed second with the paddle. I promptly got into the rev limiter and power was cut. Tried it again by choosing M mode (which includes MDM for DSC in my settings). Things were a bit better but I still managed to hit the rev limiter as I think I did not keep the pedal 100% depressed and then got back on it (pretty sure it reverted to full manual mode if the pedal is not left 100% depressed.) Clearly I need to get to a location where I will not be arrested and thrown in jail for more experimentation, more fun and a video.

Feeling like such a rookie....

If you use LC use MDM and DO NOT LIFT THE GAS.
Speed of shifts and rev matching (blips): (source)

Quote:
Shifts are always fast, they are slightly faster when the TCU (not an official BMW term but loosely the "transmission control unit") properly guesses the next gear but only from the delay perspective, not the shifts themselves. There is just a slight delay when it doesn't (can't) guess correctly. For example at low throttle, with no acceleration nor braking and in a high gear (not 7th) there are very little clues for the TCU to properly guess the next gear. If you nail the throttle it perfectly pre-selects a lower gear, closer to redline it pre-selects the higher gear. Under these conditions the delay is almost imperceptible. Again, much like most of my minute "criticisms" of M-DCT I have noticed this but 95% of folks won't it is very minor and you have to pay close attention to the initiation of the tach movement compared to the completion of the lever or paddle click. Now with this small diversion on the speed of shifts on to the much more fun part of your question...

1-2 chirps pretty good at high throttle in S5 and S6, when shifting near redline, LC or not. I too would really like to know how many gears will chirp using S6&LC with MDM off (automatically shifting right at redline under WOT). The M6 with SMG III chirps just a tiny bit into 5th, but clearly the M3 won't with 90 or so less ponies! It is beyond illegal to test this on the street hence I have not done it, nor do I have it on video. Hopefully soon.

Some more experience with rev matching ("blips") on downshifts:

Almost no throttle blips occur in S1-S3 at low to intermediate throttle. I have not checked it at very high throttle but I think the results will be the same. The lower modes S1 and S2 purposefully delay, smooth and "slur" the downshifts a bit. These are the only conditions and modes under which shifts are slower than incredibly fast. They are still fast and very smooth but produce no blip and they take just a hair longer. As well you feel a bit more compression braking during the clutch swap. In S4-S6 the intensity of the blip and propensity for it to happen at lower and lower rpm smoothly increases through the modes. S4 is about perfect for slightly aggressive driving. Nice blips, still super smooth, definitely easy on the syncros and the nice aural pleasure as well. My initial impression is that the S5 and S6 blips may be too large and less smooth for mild to moderate driving. Much like other aspects of the tranny though the faster you go and the harder you push it the better it gets. So I very well expect S5 and S6 to be great for very aggressive driving and track work. My comrade footie would surely conclude that any roughness in the blips means they are positively too large and too aggressive and are present only for the aural effect (or some other false feeling of speed, poseur effect, etc.). As well I'm sure he would say there is absolutely no need for these modes to even be present. Even if this were true, which I highly doubt, it may be worth it solely for the sounds as they are truly heavenly.

With my past comments about the differences between the up and downshifts in the D (auto) modes and the wealth of comments about the surge, I feel I finally really know the tranny for most conditions except the very aggressive and track type work which I really hope to get to soon.

As I always say M-DCT gets a 9.5/10. Most will never notice the tiny, almost insignificant "criticisms" I have found in the unit. Like the rest of the car the more you push the better it gets.

M-DCT FTW!

P.S. Sorry to thread jack (just a bit) but Jasons post quickly went down the M-DCT route.
Low speed coming to a stop: (source)

Quote:
Nope don't get that. I do very rarely get a very slight clunk from the clutch and an accompanying miniscule jerk when just about stopped as the clutch timing is just a hair off. As I have stated before this is VERY MINOR, very rare and barely noticable. Such small imperfections are noticeable when the tranny is so close to perfect. If you think these tiny imperfections are a huge deal you must ask yourself how many times would you have a similar tiny goof with a MT?
DCT "lag": (source)

Quote:
The misinformation continues... BTW for those that do not know I am a M-DCT owner/driver and am well past my first service.

There is a feeling of sluggishness you will notice when you first start to drive a M-DCT M3. It will be there in the Normal and Sport throttle settings. I have not used Sport Plus much but expect it to be there as well. All I think this is is a fairly slow de-clutch when starting out from a dead stop UNDER LOW THROTTLE conditions. The transmission mode S or D nor any of the numbered Drivelogic settings have very little to do with this. The way to get this to change is to simply give it more throttle. Problem fixed. I know I for one have been gentle on the car, breaking it in conservatively and according to BMW guidelines. As well with a new tranny and something as different as M-DCT is, most proceed a bit slowly. These issues certainly contribute to the observations of "lag".

Let me appeal to logic. How can the car, when capable of 0-60 in 4.1 s and 0-100 in 9.4 s be "slow" or "sluggish off the line? IT ISN'T, period.

Although I have not used LC yet, I have gone for aggressive take offs in S6 with MDM engaged (the aggressive DSC setting that allows limited wheel slip but still has DSC on) and all I can say it WOW. You get to redline so fast in first, limited wheelspin and BAM you are getting the shift lights to hit 2nd. There is no lag nor disappointment whatsoever.

As far as the comparisons with the E46 M3: How many folks who came from the E36 M3 (maybe even modded) to the E46 M3 felt the E36 M3 was faster, or at least more astutely noticed that it only FELT faster. It did FEEL faster but it clearly wasn't. Sorry guys this is simply refinement. Get used to it. Same thing here comparing E46 and E92.

Footie: We have already been through the issue (ad infinitum) of whether or not S4,S5 and S6 and the jerk they provide on shift improves acceleration. All you have to do is notice the wheel spin/chirps on shifts due to the jerk and you can conclude immediately and clearly that these modes and the jerk is faster then without them. Sure maybe not .5 s faster to 60 or 100 but it will be noticeable and measureable. S3 and lower Drivelogic modes just do not provide jerk nor chirp on shift at large throttle. Bruce A. agreed with this on a technical and experiential basis as well. YOU ARE WRONG HERE but just won't admit it. JERK = CHIRP = BETTER acceleration.

So in conclusion, you will notice this "lag" but it disappears the more throttle you use. Add in all the other benefits of M-DCT and its perfect and blazingly fast shifts and this really just becomes something you will get used to. Do test drive a M-DCT if you are concerned. Test drive it ONLY after proper break in and don't hesitate to give it some juice.

I am thrilled with this transmission.
M3 Owners Manual with M-DCT: (source)

Quote:
Not available yet on the OC website but my dealer had this and sent it along. Enjoy.

Download link: M3 Owners Manual (M-DCT).pdf
Lengthy M-DCT Technical Press Release (Source)

Last edited by swamp2; 05-29-2008 at 03:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2008, 03:03 AM   #10
MDCTFTW
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 DCT

1. Works and feels like driving a manual transmission. You can feel the car using the clutches just like it would for a manual.
2. Difference in driving modes D & S.
3. Difference in shift times 1-5/6.
4. Throttle blip on down shift (only really noticeable at higher rpms, but it's a nice bark)
5. Rev protection from down shifting too far.
6. Speed of shifts in S5 (probably S6 too, but I'm still in break in).
7. Being able to switch from S to D and D to S seamlessly.
8. Paddle shifting so I can always keep both hands on the wheel during aggressive driving and also change gears.
9. Regular size brake pedal.
10. Automatic shift down in S mode when coming to a stop.

Dislikes:

1. Shifting from Reverse to Neutral to Drive seems slow. I feel like if I do this transition too fast or while the car is rolling I might ruin something.
2. Starts in S3 each time you start the car. Sometimes I forget and I end up revving the engine a bit high especially when the engine is cold.
3. Uncertainty that there might be mechanical issues.

Other:

1. Lag is there in D3 w/o power on, but seems to disappear in S5 with sport plus. I don't even know why people think this is a problem.

As you can see there isn't too much wrong with DCT so far. *knock on wood* It is a sick device and all you need to convince yourself is S5 on a straight with sport plus. I've never hit such high speeds so fast and so smoothly. MDCT completes the high revving V8 of the M3. Simply amazing.

MDCT ... so you can drive and eat a hamburger at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2008, 06:05 AM   #11
SMSgt B
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: '23 M4 G83; '23 M850i

Garage List
2022 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by skierman64 View Post
Things I love about DCT:

1. Smooth take up (acceleration) from a dead stop
2. Can start out in second gear from a dead stop if you so choose, like when the engine is cold
3. Smooth upshifting in S2 and S3
4. Nice tug when upshifting in S4 or S5
5. Rev matched downshifts aways smooth regardless of rpm or gear
6. Can shift to neutral at any time regardless of speed
7. Perfect feel of the paddle shifters and gearshift selector
8. Low speed assist works great in first or second gear
9. Automatic mode works even better than a real automatic
10. Engine braking is significant in all gears, can easily drive and maintain position in traffic without need for the brake. Downshifts are so smooth, that progressively downshifting down to 3rd gear when approaching a stop light or stop sign means the brakes don't need to be used until about 30 mph, depending on conditions.
11. Shifting is so easy to do that I can always be in the right gear for any situation
12. Seven gears = always a good gear for any situation (eight in you include reverse)
13. Launch control (and I haven't been able to use it yet)
14. 6MT drivers in my rear view mirror
15. I can put the seat in the highest position and hang my left foot out the window to be cool while driving.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2008, 06:44 AM   #12
WCH
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M8C convertible

Garage List
I agree with Skierman64 and Swamp2 on all points. While I understand why some will prefer a MT, M-DCT is truly a revolutionary step forward. All the advantages of MT (full control over engine speed and gear selection) with faster, smoother shifting than is humanly possible AND it works better than any automatic that I have driven.

Upsides: Everything that has been listed so far +
1. Ability to customize how it works
2. 7th gear for cruising at highways speeds
3. Really nice paddles

Downsides (all minor):
1. Slight worry about early adopter issues (this forum and warranty help this alot)
2. One more reason not to valet (not that I would anyways)
3. Cost - IMO it's worth it, but it did add a hefty chunk to the bottom line.

I think it's a must have for this car. If I had a M5 or M6, I'd be unhappy.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2008, 07:00 AM   #13
M-Maika
First Lieutenant
Portugal
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 AW

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E92  [10.00]
I will only take delivery next Tuesday.
So, my first comments will be after that.
I´m starting not to be able to sleep.

Meanwhile, i think this is a good thread.

Best Regards, Maika
      05-29-2008, 10:18 AM   #14
apw2607
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M-Sport

I think most has being said already .... for me, its one of my favorite things I like about the car.

Positives:

1. Best of both worlds, drive it like a manual when you want, and when you want a brake, put it in auto mode.
2. Lots of different modes to suit different driving tastes
3. Customizable through M-Drive
4. Love the shifter and paddles

Negatives:

1. Slight lag when switching between 1 and Reverse
2. Slight lag when moving off from stop (when cold)
3. Pricey option
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2008, 01:12 AM   #15
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

A couple more minor observations:

To get into neutral at any speed simply press and hold the lever into N for a second or so. If you just click into N it will not do it, perhaps a safety thing to avoid going into neutral if the level is accidentally jabbed. Great for the occassional coast on a hill or manual throttle blip just for fun.

When going down a reasonably steep hill the transmission uses input from the tilt sensor in the car to guide the shift programing. Basically the transmission has a propensity to stay in a lower gear for some engine braking if you keep the throttle very low. Pretty cool IMO.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2008, 02:54 AM   #16
adamr
Major
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 997 GT3 RS

Garage List
my personal opinion thus far

My previous cars were, 98 E36 M3 3.2, 6spd MT, 99 M-Coupe 5 spd MT, 01 M3 E46 6spd, 06 325 E92 AT, E93 335i 6spd MT ... i have only had manuals, and i knew how to drive my cars! ... PS: the 325 was bought to sell ... and you know what? ... i love this DCT box and would not trade my car for a manual! the shifts are smooth, with the bars all up on the box you get a thump rather than a "kick" that smg gave you ... its just an awesome box ... what I do need to get use to is the lag when upshifting with the pedals ... but need to drive the car in and hope this gets better .... but it aint no deal breaker .... In auto mode the car gets to 7th gear so quickly, it amazing ... i have driven the 6spd E92 and prefer my DCT, no regrets ...

2007 Porsche 997 GT3 RS
|PCM with NAV and GSM|Roll Cage|PCCB|Xenons|Sports Chrono Plus|PASM|Leather Pack|Silver Seat-belts|
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2008, 03:51 PM   #17
Mx3
M
Rep
Drives: 08.SpaceGry.DCT.19's,Tech,+

I'll be more general since most has been covered.

Why I think DCT is PERFECT

1. Performance (Fast)
2. Ease of use (clutchless and diff modes)
3. Really Versatile (Multi adjustments)
4. Fun (Launch Control)
5. Efficient (7th gear)
6. Comfort ( smoothness in S1-S2 )
7. Technology minded
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2008, 09:32 PM   #18
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Drive program

Does the drive program reset to "3" when you start the car up, or will it stay in the last program you were using?

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2008, 03:02 PM   #19
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
Does the drive program reset to "3" when you start the car up, or will it stay in the last program you were using?
US cars default to S3 on start up. When you switch to D you get the last D mode used. Cars in EU (at least some locations) start up in D instead (2 or 3, can't recall exactly). Defaulting in D for various safety reasons seems the better choice to me. I just wish that all Drivelogic modes, all throttle, all DSC modes could be programmed to the key. Not quite sure why some are and some are not, probably legal...
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2008, 08:18 AM   #20
rai
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 coupe with DCT

I have my car now 13 days but have not driven it 6 of those days (out of town) and so I am still very new to the DCT. Just 600 mostly HW miles.

I will say, the break-in period does effect the preception of the tranny. What I mean, is the tranny will hold the gear for ever, meaning past 6000 easily so we are forced to drive part throttle or short-shift most times so it's not easy to get a true picture.

What I can say so far is the tranny shifts smoother than I thought possible. It's the smoothest shifting tranny I have driven. I would prefer some more gravitas and have experienced some, but break-in (ie. short-shift) makes this hard to evaluate. Not only short-shift but the engine revs so quick that during break-in I am using less throttle since the rev-limit comes up too quick otherwise.

So, I will say any pre-break-in evaluation from me is incomplete.

One problem (slight) is the minor hesitation on take-off. Likely this is made worse by break-in procedure, I am not flooring the car at take-off and the tranny in lower shift modes likely make this worse than will be after. But the slight hesitation is there and something you have to factor in if you want either a smooth start or a quick start (mayby one or the other).

I have some problem, just for the DCT to select 1st. Now or then, I am slowing down to 4-5 mph and want to take-off but the tranny likes to keep 2nd for as long as possible. I don't know the exact shift-down point but it likes to keep 2nd until you fully stop. It will shift to 1st if you are really slow but I wouldn't mind more aggressive use of 1st gear not only after a full stop.

Overall, the DCT is the 'killer-app' of the M3. Meaning it's what sold me and what makes the M3 'better than the others' at least IMO. I have driven MT cars since 1988 so I am proficent at driving a manual but the DCT makes me not miss the clutch.

IMO, by far the DCT is the best 'option' I ordered and well worth $2700. I'd pay $5000 for it without a second thought.

Finally, the shift paddles are very cool and very well made (nice feel, looks and function). I drove a Gallardo and the shift paddles were pencil thin almost like a turn signal and in fact easy to get confused with the turn signal or wiper. The Ferrari F430 had much nicer paddles much like the M3.

The shift-mode button on the other hand is a POS. It's the kind of crap BMW puts in to a $60K car that looks like it came from a Kia. The shift-mode button is a chicklet-like piece of plasic that is hard to modulate and hard to use in fact and IMO BMW should be ashamed to put it in the car. It would be nicer to have a small knob like a smaller i-drive module that you can turn to the desired number and leave it there.

Also, how the car defaults to S3 is very dumb and this should be a key controled function or default to a D-mode (especially if you want to leave a Valet or have a novice drive the car). What's the reason to start in S3 when the tranny needs to be shifted? It is too easy for a novice to forget to shift. D-mode would make more sense, or better yet have it be key-dependent setting. I have the M-button to D-mode partly to walk around the car defaulting to S-mode.

Last edited by rai; 06-16-2008 at 08:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2008, 09:53 PM   #21
skierman64
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3-E46M3-E46Wagon-E89Z4-E36

Garage List
1994 325is Race Car  [0.00]
2011 BMW Z4  [0.00]
1998 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2008 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rai View Post
I have some problem, just for the DCT to select 1st. Now or then, I am slowing down to 4-5 mph and want to take-off but the tranny likes to keep 2nd for as long as possible. I don't know the exact shift-down point but it likes to keep 2nd until you fully stop. It will shift to 1st if you are really slow but I wouldn't mind more aggressive use of 1st gear not only after a full stop.
I much, much prefer the car stay in second until coming to a complete stop. It's exactly how I'd drive a manual car, only using first to start out from a complete stop. 2nd is much smoother in traffic, and I think that's the reason the tranny stays in 2nd unless coming to a complete stop.

If you want to take off in first, a quick downshift to first will put you were you want to be, but for me the vast majority of situations 2nd is where I want to be.

This shift mode selector button is understated appropriately, IMHO.
      06-16-2008, 10:27 PM   #22
RealSanaii
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008

As everyone mentioned, defaulting to S-3 is my only grip as well as not having Park on gear lever. When you let your family members or anyone else drive the car, you have to 'teach' them how to use the DCT since it's not a regular 'automatic'. Also, ppl think it's just a regular auto and don't appreciate the technology behind it. Oh well, I'm the one who's driving the car .

I love the fact that in D, the shifts are smooth and still fast. You can't even feel anything. It's creepy... On aggressive settings like S-5, you can feel the 'surge' or 'jerkiness' that are presented in SMG's which gives you more sporty feeling of the car.
It's the best of both worlds.

Last edited by RealSanaii; 06-17-2008 at 09:58 AM..
Appreciate 0