BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > Regional Forums > UK > Collected my LCI M2 on Saturday!

01-08-2018, 06:20 PM   #1
azibux1
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI

Collected my LCI M2 on Saturday!

Hi all,

I joined the club (moved from an Audi S3 Saloon) on Saturday and am loving it so far!

So much fun to drive already, even in the run-in period - can't wait for 1200 miles to arrive on the clock!

The sound is also really addictive!

Few questions I've got so far, if anyone knows the answers - also some obligatory pics!

1 - Got folding mirrors with anti-dazzle, but only the driver's side one appears to be anti-dazzle. Is this normal? Or is the passenger side one faulty?

2 - With the folding mirrors comes mirror dip on reverse. This doesn't seem to dip unless I set the mirror selector switch to the DRIVER'S side mirror... Is this correct? Also when doing this, and re-starting the car, it didn't seem to go 100% back to where it was before the dip, it was still a bit low (but it had moved a bit up). It also dips really far, so I usually leave the switch on passenger side and only move it over to dip when necessary. With the Audi I could set the dipped position, this isn't possible with BMW?

3 - This one I am finding really strange... There is no way to put the car in park with the engine running? So if I have been driving hard and want to come to a stop and get out of the car (but leave it running), I have to stick the handbrake on really hard (which could lead to warped discs) as I can't put it in park with the car running? I have to push the off button twice to put it in park, taking my foot off the brake after the first push, otherwise the car will just restart lol. Am I missing something here?

4 - I can't see it mentioned here much. A common mod on the S3 was to unplug the exhaust valves so they're open all the time, in all modes, at all revs... Is there a similar mod on the M2?

5 - Anyone have a part number for those seat belt holders I saw here somewhere? The seatbelt is SO far away lol.

6 - Anywhere in the UK do a sensibly priced, good quality gloss black M2 badge for the bootlid?

I think that's all my questions for now but I'm sure I'll update when I have more no doubt after a few more days with the car

Appreciate 3
      01-08-2018, 09:49 PM   #2
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by azibux1 View Post
Hi all,

I joined the club (moved from an Audi S3 Saloon) on Saturday and am loving it so far!

So much fun to drive already, even in the run-in period - can't wait for 1200 miles to arrive on the clock!

Few questions I've got so far, if anyone knows the answers - also some obligatory pics!

1 - Got folding mirrors with anti-dazzle, but only the driver's side one appears to be anti-dazzle. Is this normal? Or is the passenger side one faulty?

2 - With the folding mirrors comes mirror dip on reverse. This doesn't seem to dip unless I set the mirror selector switch to the DRIVER'S side mirror... Is this correct? Also when doing this, and re-starting the car, it didn't seem to go 100% back to where it was before the dip, it was still a bit low (but it had moved a bit up). It also dips really far, so I usually leave the switch on passenger side and only move it over to dip when necessary. With the Audi I could set the dipped position, this isn't possible with BMW?

3 - This one I am finding really strange... There is no way to put the car in park with the engine running? So if I have been driving hard and want to come to a stop and get out of the car (but leave it running), I have to stick the handbrake on really hard (which could lead to warped discs) as I can't put it in park with the car running? I have to push the off button twice to put it in park, taking my foot off the brake after the first push, otherwise the car will just restart lol. Am I missing something here?

1 - I dunno in America we don't get that feature because..... reasons...

2 - Yea it has to be set to driver side to work. As far as it staying slightly dipped, I never had that problem. Have your dealer look at it? Are you sure? Is there a way to set the angle when reverse? Yes but you have to "code" the car, either with a phone app (carley or bimmercode), a computer, or pay someone to do it for you. You can't set the angle from the iDrive.

3 - Yeah it sucks if you want it in park you have to shut the car off, if you turn it back on it will still be in park and you can sit there with it on and rev the engine or whatever, but once it comes out of park it won't go back in unless you shut it off. I just put it in neutral pull the parking brake but obviously that's not idea... don't want the car rolling away or warped discs. It's stupid but I guess it's better to have dumb stuff not related to driving.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2018, 11:24 PM   #3
Wilsm2
Mini Beast
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018

Quote:
Hi all,

4 - I can't see it mentioned here much. A common mod on the S3 was to unplug the exhaust valves so they're open all the time, in all modes, at all revs... Is there a similar mod on the M2?

5 - Anyone have a part number for those seat belt holders I saw here somewhere? The seatbelt is SO far away lol.

6 - Anywhere in the UK do a sensibly priced, good quality gloss black M2 badge for the bootlid?

I think that's all my questions for now but I'm sure I'll update when I have more no doubt after a few more days with the car

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Quote:
Hi all,

2 - Yea it has to be set to driver side to work. As far as it staying slightly dipped, I never had that problem. Have your dealer look at it? Are you sure? Is there a way to set the angle when reverse? Yes but you have to "code" the car, either with a phone app (carley or bimmercode), a computer, or pay someone to do it for you. You can't set the angle from the iDrive.

3 - Yeah it sucks if you want it in park you have to shut the car off, if you turn it back on it will still be in park and you can sit there with it on and rev the engine or whatever, but once it comes out of park it won't go back in unless you shut it off. I just put it in neutral pull the parking brake but obviously that's not idea... don't want the car rolling away or warped discs. It's stupid but I guess it's better to have dumb stuff not related to driving.
Quote:
Hi all,

[img]
View post on imgur.com
[/img]

[img]
View post on imgur.com
[/img]

[img]
View post on imgur.com
[/img]

[img]
View post on imgur.com
[/img]

[img]
View post on imgur.com
[/img]
1, yes only the driver side, you can see the out line on the glass
4, I don't think the standard exhaust has valves, I could be wrong. You can see the valves in the MPE
6, ebay I think £24.99

Looking good
      01-09-2018, 05:02 AM   #4
Japper69
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 X-Drive - Skyscraper Gr

3. That’s what Neutral is for !
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 02:05 PM   #5
azibux1
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post

I can possibly understand why you don't get it... Maybe a safety thing surprisingly. It is my first car with that feature on a side mirror and the other day in the dark I realised you do have to pay a bit more attention to see someone in your mirror as it is less obvious (especially if they have terrible headlights).

OK cool, I have only had the car a short while so I'll check it out for a few days (don't use mirror dip every time I park) and see if it returns to the right position or not.

Yeah that is odd... I also am finding it a bit inconsistent at times. Sometimes requiring it to be pressed, foot off brake then pressed again. Whereas earlier I put the handbrake on, foot still on the brake I believe, then pressed the button just once and it went straight to park.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilsm2 View Post
1, yes only the driver side, you can see the out line on the glass
4, I don't think the standard exhaust has valves, I could be wrong. You can see the valves in the MPE
6, ebay I think £24.99

Looking good
Thanks!

Yeah I spotted the outline but wasn't sure how they worked to be honest... That's cool though, as long as it isn't faulty ha

Hmm I thought it was still valved as that's how it gets louder in sport/sport+ but I may be wrong. I'll have a look into the exhaust and see.

Will check out eBay, saw one on alibaba which was cheap but looked too small to be the right size (didn't have my car at the time to measure the original)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japper69 View Post
3. That’s what Neutral is for !
Lol true - but that goes back to the point I was saying about possibly warping the discs after a hard drive
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 03:02 PM   #6
Wilsm2
Mini Beast
United Kingdom
Rep

Link to the black M2 boot badge

Matte Black Rear Boot Lid Trunk Badge Emblem Stick On For BMW 2 Series M2 F87 https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F162768028953
      01-09-2018, 03:12 PM   #7
Alby_416
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Coupé (BSM)

Garage List
the stock exhaust has valves although they do very little... the increase of noise you feel inside the cabin might be because of the ASD.

Congrats and enjoy your little M

Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 03:24 PM   #8
azibux1
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Matte Black Rear Boot Lid Trunk Badge Emblem Stick On For BMW 2 Series M2 F87 https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F162768028953
Ahh thanks... I do remember seeing that one actually. Reason I dismissed it was because I wanted gloss black - but I think I might end up going for that one as I can't find a reasonably priced gloss one.

Or I might get it + a can of lacquer and try and make it gloss myself - that is what I'm leaning towards at the moment.

Should look OK I think with some lacquer? Might even just drop it off at a local bodyshop who I imagine would lacquer it for a fiver or so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alby_416 View Post
the stock exhaust has valves although they do very little... the increase of noise you feel inside the cabin might be because of the ASD.

Cheers! That explains it perfectly
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 03:27 PM   #9
Wilsm2
Mini Beast
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Ahh thanks... I do remember seeing that one actually. Reason I dismissed it was because I wanted gloss black - but I think I might end up going for that one as I can't find a reasonably priced gloss one.

Or I might get it + a can of lacquer and try and make it gloss myself - that is what I'm leaning towards at the moment.

Should look OK I think with some lacquer? Might even just drop it off at a local bodyshop who I imagine would do it for a fiver or so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alby_416 View Post

Cheers! That explains it perfectly
Wait a bit, they might bring out the cs/comp and that will have black badges, you can order genuine one
      01-09-2018, 04:20 PM   #10
azibux1
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Wait a bit, they might bring out the cs/comp and that will have black badges, you can order genuine one
Ahh OK nice! Didn't realise they have black badges
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 03:07 AM   #11
Wilsm2
Mini Beast
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Ahh OK nice! Didn't realise they have black badges
I could be wrong lol, I remember seeing black at the dealership
      01-10-2018, 12:02 PM   #12
toml
Rep
Drives: M2

If you’ve driven it that hard to worry about warping discs then just stopping the car for any amount of time is going to be a problem because the heat can’t dissipate well where the calipers cover the discs.

Pulling your handbrake makes no difference because it activates pads that work within the ‘bell’ of the disc, not the caliper’s pads. Hope that makes sense. If anything the handbrake pads might melt onto the disc bell. Usual track day practice is to have a cool down lap and leave the car without the handbrake on when in the pitlane.

Last thing to say is that discs generally don’t warp. What people are referring to is pad deposits left on the discs from overheating.

In all honesty, unless you’ve been hooning it on roads like in the Alps, then you’re not going to need to worry about applying your handbrake when you stop.
Hope this helps.
Appreciate 1
azibux142.00
      01-10-2018, 02:18 PM   #13
azibux1
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by toml View Post
If you’ve driven it that hard to worry about warping discs then just stopping the car for any amount of time is going to be a problem because the heat can’t dissipate well where the calipers cover the discs.

Pulling your handbrake makes no difference because it activates pads that work within the ‘bell’ of the disc, not the caliper’s pads. Hope that makes sense. If anything the handbrake pads might melt onto the disc bell. Usual track day practice is to have a cool down lap and leave the car without the handbrake on when in the pitlane.

Last thing to say is that discs generally don’t warp. What people are referring to is pad deposits left on the discs from overheating.

In all honesty, unless you’ve been hooning it on roads like in the Alps, then you’re not going to need to worry about applying your handbrake when you stop.
Hope this helps.
That's good to know... thanks for the info!

The bit about pad deposits actually rings a bell now you mention it, I've read that somewhere before!

Cheers
Appreciate 0