BMW M2 Forum > Regional Forums > UK > Secondhand prices

01-15-2018, 02:35 PM   #1
GregT
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 Cayman S

Secondhand prices

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone has any experience of buying a secondhand M2 from a BMW dealer?

The prices are still fairly high which I guess is due to the initial shortage of new cars. There aren't really any cars out there less than £39k although there seems to be quite a few that have been sat around for a while at the £40k mark.

I was wondering if anyone has bought one from a main dealer and if they were able to negotiate any discount off the list price. I understand all cars are different and it depends on the dealer and trade ins etc but an idea on whether they are negotiable at all would be helpful.

Cheers

Greg
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2018, 03:48 PM   #2
Wilsm2
Mini Beast
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregT View Post
Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone has any experience of buying a secondhand M2 from a BMW dealer?

The prices are still fairly high which I guess is due to the initial shortage of new cars. There aren't really any cars out there less than £39k although there seems to be quite a few that have been sat around for a while at the £40k mark.

I was wondering if anyone has bought one from a main dealer and if they were able to negotiate any discount off the list price. I understand all cars are different and it depends on the dealer and trade ins etc but an idea on whether they are negotiable at all would be helpful.

Cheers

Greg
Check out my posts, it's true you will find it hard to buy factory car, we found a cancelled order. We went down the new route as it worked out better. Used apr 10.9% new apr 3.9%, new car worked our 2k more than a car over a year old and 6k on the clock
      01-16-2018, 01:43 PM   #3
azibux1
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI

Let me know if you're in the Norfolk area and I can put you in touch with a dealer who had a build slot available for mid March delivery when I previously asked at the end of December
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 04:06 PM   #4
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Selling mine at £38k!

Most options and just 8000miles. Immaculate condition.

Anyone ???
      01-18-2018, 03:08 AM   #5
spookyzeus
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 - LBB

Hi,
So just bought a Sep 67 plate pre LCI manual, 1600 miles from A approved dealer, was listed for 43K but got it for 41K.
Could have maybe got it for less but not very good at things like that.
Cheers

Last edited by spookyzeus; 01-18-2018 at 07:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 09:59 AM   #6
GregT
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookyzeus View Post
Hi,
So just bought a Sep 67 plate pre LCI manual, 1600 miles from A approved dealer, was listed for 43K but got it for 41K.
Could have maybe got it for less but not very good at things like that.
Cheers
Thanks, that's good to know that there is some room for negotiation.

I know when I talk to the dealership they are going to give me a load of chat about it being a rare car/shortage.

There doesn't seem to be much of a shortage anymore and with the LCI model coming out surely these are due a price drop in line with normal M car depreciation.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 11:02 AM   #7
spookyzeus
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 - LBB

Quote:

I know when I talk to the dealership they are going to give me a load of chat about it being a rare car/shortage.

There doesn't seem to be much of a shortage anymore and with the LCI model coming out surely these are due a price drop in line with normal M car depreciation.
One thing i bumped into when looking around the BWM approved site for manuals was a few 66 plates with around 5000 miles on them, they all had registrations that start with Y ... be careful of these as they were press cars.
Had one dealer say it was against BMW policy to sell cars that had been tracked andwas selling it as an ex demo, only for me to find the exact car online going sideways around a track with chris harris behind the wheel. Another dealer said the Y reg's were press cars.
Always google the reg to see what turns up
Dont be afraid to use the reg on another car website to get a part exchange price also, gives you an idea how much they would have paid for it.
Good luck
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 02:56 PM   #8
GregT
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookyzeus View Post
Quote:

One thing i bumped into when looking around the BWM approved site for manuals was a few 66 plates with around 5000 miles on them, they all had registrations that start with Y ... be careful of these as they were press cars.
Had one dealer say it was against BMW policy to sell cars that had been tracked andwas selling it as an ex demo, only for me to find the exact car online going sideways around a track with chris harris behind the wheel. Another dealer said the Y reg's were press cars.
Always google the reg to see what turns up
Dont be afraid to use the reg on another car website to get a part exchange price also, gives you an idea how much they would have paid for it.
Good luck
Thanks that's really useful advice about the Y plated manuals. I was thinking about going for a manual so could have fallen into that trap.

I guess that's the problem with buying early versions of quite rare cars. There is a good chance they will have been abused on road tests. I'll make sure a google the reg of anything I look at.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 02:59 AM   #9
steveo1
Private
England
Rep
Drives: Black m2 lci

Garage List
2017 Bmw m2 lci  [0.00]
Most BMW’s with reg starting with y are usually bmw uk cars which can range from hire cars to management,I would avoid these but also can be privately owned too.
Audi uk cars start with a prefix e.g oe, oy etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2018, 10:41 AM   #10
Wilsm2
Mini Beast
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018

I have noticed today, there are a number of duplicate cars on autotrader.