BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > "Drivetrain Fault" and check engine light at 358 miles

01-28-2018, 10:27 PM   #1
TXF87
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2, 2018 X5

"Drivetrain Fault" and check engine light at 358 miles

I'm going to take it in tomorrow morning and drop it off. Today I was headed to lunch and got a warning fault which lead to a limp home mode. The car was warmed up and I was accelerating and it happened as I was shifting into third. There was an audible warning followed by a message that there was a drivetrain fault and that it was ok to continue driving the car, but that full use was not available (or something to that effect). I turned around and went home. Hopefully it's something simple.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2018, 11:17 PM   #2
AlexCirci
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXF87 View Post
I'm going to take it in tomorrow morning and drop it off. Today I was headed to lunch and got a warning fault which lead to a limp home mode. The car was warmed up and I was accelerating and it happened as I was shifting into third. There was an audible warning followed by a message that there was a drivetrain fault and that it was ok to continue driving the car, but that full use was not available (or something to that effect). I turned around and went home. Hopefully it's something simple.
Interested to hear what caused this. Keep us posted. This happened on my 2016. Warning went away after turning the car on and off. Havent had a change to go to dealer yet.
      01-31-2018, 10:06 PM   #3
TXF87
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2, 2018 X5

Came up as a misfire. I've been out of town this week so haven't had a chance to drive it other than to take it home before I left. Hopefully it was a fluke.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2018, 03:36 AM   #4
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

The miss fire error code seems to be common on new F7's for some reason
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2018, 12:47 PM   #5
TampaF87
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2

I had an issue 3 weeks after I bought the car and got the same warning. Pulled the code and it was a misfire. I took the car in and they found a dud spark plug. Swapped the plug to a different cylinder and the problem followed. Brand new spark plug was just a dud. Hoping it's something similar for you.
Appreciate 0