E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > i think i messed up big time!

06-01-2008, 09:01 PM   #1
Geektechlive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Competition

Garage List
i think i messed up big time!

I also posted this out on Autopia as well:

i am new to detailing and i even practiced on my wifes red focus before going at it on my black 328xi..

I am using zaino zfx and a PC.

my problem is this... I am putting it on very thin and the odd thing is I have left the z2 and z5 on for up to 1 hour and when i do the "finger swipe" test the zaino still smears. what gives?
I ended up after 1 hour and 30 minutes to moisten a MF towel with Z6 and buff the z5 and then z2 out but i must be doing something wrong.

the last application of z2 i did was by hand and i used the pad that comes with the kit. it actually seemed harder since the z6 dried on the paint and left spots that I had to use more z6 to buff out... which of course left smears.

any thoughts on what i am doing wrong?

Here are some pics...

and another one

how can I get rid of these smears without making more scratches??

--
Owner of a 2022 M3 Competition AWD in Individual Voodoo Blue and Fiona Red leather
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 01:04 AM   #2
SpecC
Completely obsessed with detailing
Rep
Drives: E90 SG 330i, white Scion tC

bump for you. im not sure at this time what it is, but maybe someone else online can provide you with some insight. i'll check on it again later too
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 02:15 AM   #3
PlatinumEdition
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: !

Garage List
2017 BMW 740i  [0.00]
what speed on the pc are you polishing at? speed might be too low and is not breaking down the polish
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 02:40 AM   #4
Sam12345
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: jet black 335i coupe

Garage List
2008 335i Coupe  [0.00]
bump for you
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 09:43 AM   #5
BimmerFan61
Captain
Rep
Drives: none

You are probably putting to much on. Zaino is a bitch to remove and you must put it on super lightly. Dont worry about it. Just leave it and after your first wash or 2 it will be gone.

I would always put Zaino on by hand because with a PC you will probably put too much on.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 11:08 AM   #6
Rising
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E90 335i

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
i did a full detail using zaino this weekend. everything was done by hand. results was superb. zaino is a bitch to remove, but z6 definitely helps buff it off easily. btw, mine is AW.

i'm thinking the MF is not high enough quality making it smears more. my guess.
      06-02-2008, 04:40 PM   #7
oneshare325
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i, E82 135i

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising View Post
i did a full detail using zaino this weekend. everything was done by hand. results was superb. zaino is a bitch to remove, but z6 definitely helps buff it off easily. btw, mine is AW.

i'm thinking the MF is not high enough quality making it smears more. my guess.
ok.....

Zaino is about the easiest thing in the world to buff off!! You guys either put WAY WAY WAY too much on or your zfx mixture is wrong...I am going with too much though!

Also to the OP.....did you make sure to get the "old" LSP (wax or sealant) off before you started zainoing? Zaino over a Wax or another sealant could also be the cause....did you clay the car, wash is with a more aggressive soap what did you do before applying zaino?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2008, 11:49 AM   #8
Rising
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E90 335i

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneshare325 View Post
ok.....

Zaino is about the easiest thing in the world to buff off!! You guys either put WAY WAY WAY too much on or your zfx mixture is wrong...I am going with too much though!
let me requote. maybe i over exaggerated a little. it just takes some elbow grease to buff off, but nothing difficult or out of the ordinary.
      06-03-2008, 09:31 PM   #9
Geektechlive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Competition

Garage List
i bought the zaino kit with the clay bar etc... I washed the car first with dawn and then clay bar'd the whole thing.. made it even more smooth than it was originaly.

i am pretty sure i got everything off from any original wax.. it was only washed by a touchless wash a few times this winter ( took delivery in DEC. )

i must be putting it on too thick... i just must be...

the odd thing was when i was putting it on with the applicator and z6 i woudl finish a door and move to the back door and the front door would be dry looking and the z6 was leaving spots... took a heck of a lot of work and more z6 to get rid of those spots... it almost made me think i was not putting anything on the car but z6.

thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneshare325 View Post
ok.....

Also to the OP.....did you make sure to get the "old" LSP (wax or sealant) off before you started zainoing? Zaino over a Wax or another sealant could also be the cause....did you clay the car, wash is with a more aggressive soap what did you do before applying zaino?

--
Owner of a 2022 M3 Competition AWD in Individual Voodoo Blue and Fiona Red leather
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2008, 09:56 PM   #10
smog
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanaduguy View Post

the odd thing was when i was putting it on with the applicator and z6 i woudl finish a door and move to the back door and the front door would be dry looking and the z6 was leaving spots...
are you buffing the Z2/ZFX completely off the entire car before applying Z6? i'm pretty sure using Z6 to wipe off the Z2/ZFX would cause smears like those in your photos..
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2008, 10:29 PM   #11
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

I've had trouble getting Z-2 applications off. Particularly the hood was left with haze/streaks. Best I could tell after messing with several applications was that it was important to follow Zaino's three layer in 24 hr recommendation and that if it was humid, this even more important. If humid, drying time (even with the ZFX) seemed quite long. Hood was worst due to the flex and the reach. One weekend I'd washed, clay barred, Z-AIO as a very thin base, Z-5, Z-2, and then went for another Z-2 thinking the think Z-AIO couldn't have counted much. Think that was wrong. With the Z-6 wipes in the middle, too much even when spread over a about 36 hours.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2008, 11:12 PM   #12
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
+1 If you use too much Zaino, it is a PITA to remove. Sal Zaino isn't kidding when he says repeatedly that you have to use very, very little product. IMO it works best when you spread it on very thin to make it easier to remove. The second layer is in case you missed any spots spreading it so thin.
      07-04-2008, 11:50 PM   #13
haper
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330ci

FWIW, my guess in order of likelihood: too much product, incorrect mixture of zfx and z2 or z5, or incorrect use of product.

my last guess is based on a few posts where you say 'using zfx and a PC' - you mixed zfx w/ z2 or z5 and then applied right? what you wrote kinda sounds like you applied just zfx which is the wrong thing to do. and 'putting it on with the applicator and z6', again this might be a mis-understanding on my part but it sounds like you applyed z6 w/ an applicator or you applyed z2pro and z6 at the same time, both of which you shouldn't be doing.
Appreciate 0