BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis BMW wheels as an option

02-21-2018, 03:24 PM   #1
csm7djs
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 3.0d M-Sport

BMW wheels as an option

Ordered my m-sport with the standard 18” 662m wheels. But I’ve bought a new set of 19” 664m wheels that the dealer is fitting for me and just delivering the 662m wheels to keep as a winter set. The car will be delivered new with the 664m wheels fitted.

Is it stored on the Vehicle Order that the car has the 662m wheeels?

Is this classed as a modification to the vehicle? Do I need to speak to my insurance company and tell them about the wheel change? I guess it is classed as a wheel change but they are a factory option you can spec.

What have other people done when they change wheels at the dealer before taking delivery? This is really for the UK
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2018, 12:45 AM   #2
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

You should certainly tell your insurance company, I doubt it will make any difference to your premium.
I let my company know all the (factory) options on there as well although the person on the phone I spoke didn't understand what most of them were!
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2018, 12:46 AM   #3
AP
Major General
Rep

I am sure the dealership will do it but go into idrive and make sure that the tyre settings are updated to reflect the different wheels on there.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2018, 04:00 AM   #4
csm7djs
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I spoke with the insurance company last night and this is what prompted me to ask the question. I told themabout the wheels - they kept asking if they were done at the factory. I explained no, that they being done by the dealer before delivery. But she kept saying "yes that is fine". Just something didn't feel right. They are a factory option, but not one I spec'd, the dealer is just fitting them after - so it felt like a modification. I asked if she could write a note on the policy about this but she said she didn't need too.

Probably just being over cautious.

What about the M-performance front grills?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2018, 04:23 AM   #5
AP
Major General
Rep

Same again , best play safe and declare. If you ever have to claim they can't wiggle out of it stating there were "modifications ".
I would also list out the options on the car as well - even the person on the phone doesn't know what they are. I remember trying to explain adaptive headlights on my previous f10 to them and they were convinced they were rally lights! For people dealing with cars on a day to day basis , I can't put in word here what I thought!
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2018, 12:13 PM   #6
POLLYBMW
Rep
Drives: G30 5 Series Msport

I don't think you'll have any problems with wheels as they are a BMW approved option which you have purchased with your car.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2018, 04:26 PM   #7
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by csm7djs View Post
I spoke with the insurance company last night and this is what prompted me to ask the question. I told themabout the wheels - they kept asking if they were done at the factory. I explained no, that they being done by the dealer before delivery. But she kept saying "yes that is fine". Just something didn't feel right. They are a factory option, but not one I spec'd, the dealer is just fitting them after - so it felt like a modification. I asked if she could write a note on the policy about this but she said she didn't need too.

Probably just being over cautious.

What about the M-performance front grills?
It wouldn't hurt to document the conversation. If you have an email address for the insurance company, send an email confirming the phone call.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2018, 06:45 AM   #8
csm7djs
Second Lieutenant
Rep

After a further conversation with them, they are adding notes to the policy that state the car has 19" wheels on it. But I need to let them know if I swap back to the 18"s during the winter months.
Appreciate 0