E6 RDM
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW, Peugeot, Audi

No service book?

HI All

I'm looking at a few F1- M5s in the UK.

A few of the dealers are saying they don't tend to have the old fashioned service book stamps anymore, although they do have the service history in paper receipts, where applicable and on the computer on board - is this right? Or is it just a smart cover up to say its got no service history..

Looking at 13/14 plate models.

Thanks
Rob
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2018, 11:46 AM   #2
nickd911
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 CP

its all in the idrive you can still ask for a print out of the work carried out which will be more conclusive
Sold - Lancia Integrale Evo1, Red
Sold - E39 M5, Oxford Green
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2018, 01:52 AM   #3
PaulT_M5
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: San Marino Blue F90

In iDrive, press the "Menu" button, select "Vehicle Information", "Vehicle Status", scroll down to the "Car" icon ("Service Requirements").

Here, you can see what service items need performing when. Also, if the car has been serviced, there will be a "Service History" entry, select this to view the history.

Any dealer worth their salt will be able to do either photos or a video of this information and it's one of the first things I ask them to send over before I even talk about prices.

All M cars should have had a run-in service at 1,200 miles. For a car to remain under BMW warranty (either original, or extended), this should have been completed somewhere between 800 and 2,000 miles. Outside these ranges, BMW wouldn't consider the car as an Approved Used Car (they sent me a scan of the relevant section of the BMW inernal AUC requirements document)

It is important to check this though as I've seen 2 AUC's that didn't have a run-in service within the parameters. One was about 2,300 miles, but the other was just shy of 8,000 miles when it had it's first service.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2018, 04:23 AM   #4
E6 RDM
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW, Peugeot, Audi

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulT_335i View Post
In iDrive, press the "Menu" button, select "Vehicle Information", "Vehicle Status", scroll down to the "Car" icon ("Service Requirements").

Here, you can see what service items need performing when. Also, if the car has been serviced, there will be a "Service History" entry, select this to view the history.

Any dealer worth their salt will be able to do either photos or a video of this information and it's one of the first things I ask them to send over before I even talk about prices.

All M cars should have had a run-in service at 1,200 miles. For a car to remain under BMW warranty (either original, or extended), this should have been completed somewhere between 800 and 2,000 miles. Outside these ranges, BMW wouldn't consider the car as an Approved Used Car (they sent me a scan of the relevant section of the BMW inernal AUC requirements document)

It is important to check this though as I've seen 2 AUC's that didn't have a run-in service within the parameters. One was about 2,300 miles, but the other was just shy of 8,000 miles when it had it's first service.
Very useful - thank you. So no paper log book is needed? Even for run in service?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2018, 08:03 AM   #5
PaulT_M5
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: San Marino Blue F90

No, it's not usual to have a paper one - I guess the only reason a car would have a paper one is if an independent has done the service as they can't (officially) update the service records on the BMW system.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 04:24 PM   #6
Londonboy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M6 Gran Coupe

Some very good advice on here.

Cheers
Appreciate 0