E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > those with sws-8

06-06-2008, 10:54 AM   #1
ontopofm
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: stock

those with sws-8

what are your settings for gain, bass boost, and low pass filter? im very new to this audio thing so i dont know how to set them, i have alpine m500, thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2008, 11:40 PM   #2
jcarlucci1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 335i

Just installed mine today with an mtx 350 watts rms amp. Gain is about 30%, bass boost 6db @40hz, crossover around 100hz. Sounds pretty good..
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2008, 12:05 AM   #3
sageashton
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i, Manual

I run mine with a couple of different settings, but the best all around is at 150hz, no boost, gain is set at about 25%. Your gain should be pretty easy though, play some music and bring it up till it sounds good with the other speakres but make sure there is no distortion.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2008, 09:33 AM   #4
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F34 xDrive

Since every amp's internal speaker level input varies in attenuatuation, no one's gain setting is terribly relevant unless it is the same amp. So turn it until it sounds good
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2008, 12:11 PM   #5
ontopofm
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

the gain is at about 15-20%, anything higher than that it would be too much bass and the front fenders and side skirts would vibrate especially when outside the car with doors closed, but then music cant be turned out too loud bcuz i would hearing hissing sound when the music is paused. so lil bass when volume is low, cross over is at 100 hz and bass boost is at 0, im using Malek EQ settings, what can I do?
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2008, 06:43 PM   #6
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontopofm View Post
the gain is at about 15-20%, anything higher than that it would be too much bass and the front fenders and side skirts would vibrate especially when outside the car with doors closed, but then music cant be turned out too loud bcuz i would hearing hissing sound when the music is paused. so lil bass when volume is low, cross over is at 100 hz and bass boost is at 0, im using Malek EQ settings, what can I do?
Try setting amp gain at absolute minimum and adjust instead the bass boost. That should be enough to give you great bass without the hiss.

One thing to consider is that setting these SWS-8 at 100Hz low pass you could be taking out a chunk of the mid bass out of the system (assuming that you still have the rest of the Logic7 system in place). I would play some tones between 100Hz and 500Hz to hear where the mid transition is between the 8" and the 4" drivers and then adjust that low pass to fill any holes.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2008, 10:05 PM   #7
jcarlucci1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Try setting amp gain at absolute minimum and adjust instead the bass boost. That should be enough to give you great bass without the hiss.

One thing to consider is that setting these SWS-8 at 100Hz low pass you could be taking out a chunk of the mid bass out of the system (assuming that you still have the rest of the Logic7 system in place). I would play some tones between 100Hz and 500Hz to hear where the mid transition is between the 8" and the 4" drivers and then adjust that low pass to fill any holes.
I do feel like I may be missing some frequencies so I will try going higher on the crossover.

P.S. Does anyone know how to get rid of the terrible vibration coming from the passenger sideskirt? Its driving me crazy; I cant even use these speakers anywhere near their full potential.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2008, 02:15 AM   #8
LaYzEe
Major
Rep
Drives: AW E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlucci1 View Post
P.S. Does anyone know how to get rid of the terrible vibration coming from the passenger sideskirt? Its driving me crazy; I cant even use these speakers anywhere near their full potential.
Im in the same boat as you. I dont know how to stop the vibrations from the sideskirts. Makes me wanna take out both sideskirts and see whats really rattling but im too worried i might make it worst. Im also thinking of maybe making a custom grill over the subs becuase i know my subs can hit harder than it is now...i just dont know if its really the enclosure or not either.
      06-10-2008, 11:13 AM   #9
sageashton
Second Lieutenant
Rep

The subs are ported directly toward the doors and sideskirts. I am sure there is a solution if you took them off and saw how they were put on (probably just tabs and screws) and then just reinforced it, but nevertheless I think anyone that upgrade their subs have the same problem
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2008, 05:11 PM   #10
jonywalker
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW E91 325d

I don't have the SWS-8 but Audio-System subwoofers. I use JL slash 300/2 (newly installed) to drive the subs and I feel I get too much bass in lower frequence. The bass gain is definitively not set over proportionally, and my last xover setting for LP is 130 Hz with 12 dB. Whenever low frequence about 25 Hz comes it is then largely lifted, seems like subsonic overboost.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2008, 09:12 PM   #11
sageashton
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Sorry to say, but yes there is a peak in the output of the HU at 31hz and there (to my knowledge) is no simple way to get rid of it without an eq.

Look at the pics at the end of this thread:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110115

The RTA shows the peak and it starts I think at 25hz (or around there) and peaks at 31. The pics are provided by VP Electricity.

Soooooooo... you're right it ain't flat. and that does not help with the vibrating at all considering it is so low on the specturm.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 04:25 AM   #12
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by sageashton View Post
Sorry to say, but yes there is a peak in the output of the HU at 31hz and there (to my knowledge) is no simple way to get rid of it without an eq.

Look at the pics at the end of this thread:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110115

The RTA shows the peak and it starts I think at 25hz (or around there) and peaks at 31. The pics are provided by VP Electricity.

Soooooooo... you're right it ain't flat. and that does not help with the vibrating at all considering it is so low on the specturm.
That was the output of the OEM HiFi amp, not the OEM HU...
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 07:22 AM   #13
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

I have them being driven off a Blaupunkt amp direct from the head unit and no matter how loud I go there is no vibrations at all.
Grateful I have no amps or processing messing around with things.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 08:24 AM   #14
jonywalker
Private First Class
Rep

Do you have the bass in trunk box? If not, just go outside and close the door you would hear the vibration. Whenever you open the door everything sounds super. Also when I sit in the car I can turn very lout without hearing any distorsion. But here is the discussion about two things
1. good subwoofers driven with suitable amp are able to play very low frequence, even sometimes unintentionally overboosted. Maybe it is the JL amp that makes it.
2. constructional weakness of bass reflection through over door chamber. The more forcefully and faster the bass is running up, the more vibration noticeable outside the car. But if the bass runs up slow or "spongily" (undesired under the view of sound quality) the vibration is less noticeable.

Therefore, two different things. To reproduce optimized sound spectrum a DQXS may be needed. To prevent the vibration it is still open.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 11:28 AM   #15
sageashton
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Technic, just reread the thread and you're right he was using the output from the OEM amp - thanks for the correction.

Jonywalker, I run a DQX and I brought the PFM up to 30 to reduce the rattling. Are you using the boost on the amp? I know the JL boost on a6450 I was using was centered around 40hz. I don't have a huge rattling problem, but I notice it when I get out of the car and I have to wonder if that is why people are looking at me when I pull into the gas station (as opposed to my striking good looks )

At this point I suggest to everyone to run and use some sort of eq in their system and then get it RTA'ed. Personally, I prefer the AudioControl units - while not easiest to use, they get the job done well and they are rock solid. Even if tuning by ear, you still can at least get it the way you want. Purists would say otherwise, but as VP and Technic have pointed out on numerous posts, you are not getting a flat signal to start, so you have to compensate with an EQ to get back to square one and some of us like to tune our sound to our liking after that.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 02:30 PM   #16
jonywalker
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sageashton View Post
I don't have a huge rattling problem, but I notice it when I get out of the car and I have to wonder if that is why people are looking at me when I pull into the gas station (as opposed to my striking good looks )
exactly the same situation I have experienced, I don't have the rattling problem inside, just the people outsite would think what a crazy sound system I have in the car.

The JL 300/2 has no bass boost, therefore it is hard to believe that the HU has a flat spectrum output. My previous setup did use the output of oem amp and I didn't get any lower frequence (below 40 Hz) all with the same high-end subs. I am happy to have the JL amp, with the balanced input to accept HU output directly it makes huge difference than ever bevore, I just need to do some fine spectrum tuning, I think I would go with audiocontrol.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 02:56 PM   #17
LaYzEe
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonywalker View Post
exactly the same situation I have experienced, I don't have the rattling problem inside, just the people outsite would think what a crazy sound system I have in the car.

06-11-2008, 09:13 PM   #18
ontopofm
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

guys, i just checked the clearance between the sub and the grill, about 1 cm clearance, it's for sure will hit the grill when you turn music on "NOT TOO LUOD", i put my finger there about 1 cm above the sub, it hit my finger, if you have seen "badfish" video you see how high the sub pounds up, im going to make something this weekends to raise the grill up and get longer screws to tie it down, i'll post my findings
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 10:37 PM   #19
LaYzEe
Major
Rep

I KNEEEW IT i mean, i do put the music hella loud sometimes and i hear the distortion (assuming its the sub hitting the grill) and i always notice it when my volume is way up. looks like im gonna follow you ontopofm and get longer screws or make some spacers again to not make the subs touch the grill. Good Job ontopofm
      06-11-2008, 11:35 PM   #20
ontopofm
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

i took out the grills and music sounds better to the ears now, no more distortion but that freaking hissing sound keep me from turning it loud, yet i cant hear it when the music is loud but when it's paused it becomes annoying, you guys think it's loose connection somewhere or the amp is not efficient enough? i did not weld the wires to the sub tabs too good

Last edited by ontopofm; 06-12-2008 at 12:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 11:38 PM   #21
LaYzEe
Major
Rep

so u just took out the grills? U planning on customizing those grills or just leaving it off?
      06-12-2008, 12:07 AM   #22
ontopofm
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

yeah the grills are out, i'll do something to the grills and isolate the areas (oem like) to prevent any particles that might find its way in there and damage the sub, a spacer or something like you mentioned in your above post
Appreciate 0