E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > iPod problem: "Wha' Happen?"

06-09-2008, 10:31 AM   #1
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F34 xDrive

Angry iPod problem: "Wha' Happen?"

Added some songs to iTunes this weekend, plugged in the iPod, took it out the the car this AM excited to hear some new tunes.

Plug in the iPod, get bad scratchy/screechy noise. Wiggle cable, no change. Disconnect cable from iPod, reconnect, re-select AUX on the iDrive, no change.

Disconnect iPod, reset, reconnect. No change. Repeat. Curse.

Get to work, plug iPod into my desktop audio dock, plays like the Celtics in the Garden.

During this entire in-car process, the iDrive navigates the iPod normally - new Song titles are displayed, I can change Albums, elapsed playing time is displayed, etc.

But no sound.

Recommendations welcome.

Appreciate 0
      06-09-2008, 10:52 AM   #2
sageashton
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i, Manual

That sucks. I would try a different MP3 player/ Ipod to see if it is the system or the ipod itself. I have loaded something up which somehow screwed up the ipod only to have to flatten it and then reload. It was fine after that though.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2008, 10:57 AM   #3
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I described the problem incorrectly - edited below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Electricity View Post
Added some songs to iTunes this weekend, plugged in the iPod, took it out the the car this AM excited to hear some new tunes.

Plug in the iPod, get bad scratchy/screechy noise. Wiggle cable, no change. Disconnect cable from iPod, reconnect, re-select AUX on the iDrive, NOW NO AUDIO (edited to add).

Disconnect iPod, reset, reconnect. No audio. Repeat. Curse.

Get to work, plug iPod into my desktop audio dock, plays like the Celtics in the Garden.

During this entire in-car process, the iDrive navigates the iPod normally - new Song titles are displayed, I can change Albums, elapsed playing time is displayed, etc.

But no sound.

Recommendations welcome.

Appreciate 0
      06-09-2008, 11:21 AM   #4
sageashton
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i, Manual

Ooooooh! That is f'ed up! I would be heading to the dealer right about now.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2008, 11:47 AM   #5
gloster
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i MT, sport

To narrow it down:

1) Do you get normal sound with with radio and CD?
2) Can you play files ok with a thumb drive plugged into your car's USB port?
3) Have you tried a different iPod?

The closest problem I ever had was the right channel cutting out but it was solved by reinserting the cable in my iPod. The BMW cable has lousy connectors.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2008, 11:54 AM   #6
howie
There's no repalcement 4 displacement except Boost
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, Lexus SC300

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
2001 CLK 55 AMG  [0.00]
sounds like iPod ****** in car no worky worky no more
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2008, 01:08 PM   #7
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloster View Post

1) Do you get normal sound with with radio and CD? Yes

2) Can you play files ok with a thumb drive plugged into your car's USB port? Irrelevant. iPod Audio doesn't come through USB port.

3) Have you tried a different iPod? Not yet.

The closest problem I ever had was the right channel cutting out but it was solved by reinserting the cable in my iPod. The BMW cable has lousy connectors. True.
I left my office for a meeting and when I came back I had no iPod audio out of the dock any more. Tested with headphones - no audio from the headphones!

Looks like the iPod is now possessed by Satan. Will re-flash it tonight and see what happens...
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2008, 01:17 PM   #8
solefald
Nigerian Prince
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: '11 F25

Garage List
'11 BMW F25  [0.00]
Yeah, this is your iPod audio connector. I have been having similar issue with it, no loss of sound though. I have also seen couple of posts where people complained about the same thing and apparently the dealer have to replace the connector or something like that. Known issue

Just dropped my car off at the dealer today. They are going to look at my CD player issues, iPod connector issues and activate my alarm. Will post an update tomorrow
      06-09-2008, 02:27 PM   #9
gloster
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i MT, sport

"2) Can you play files ok with a thumb drive plugged into your car's USB port? Irrelevant. iPod Audio doesn't come through USB port."

Yes, of course the iPod audio comes through the aux port. But, I asked because the iPod does use the USB port for communication and I was trying to rule everything out that we could.

In any case, from your following post, it sounds like you've discovered a problem with the iPod itself making this all irrelevant.
Appreciate 0