BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Bought one of the last PRE LCI M2's

05-11-2018, 01:11 PM   #1
krizze
Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4 -Skoda Octavia VRS

Hello!!!

Today was the day I picked up my second M2, I simply love this car and I truly believe eventually it will be a reasonable investment. Which is why when this beauty was available for good money me and my father went into it as a joint venture to buy and store this wonderful fully loaded M2 in Mineral Grey! It was so strange driving it out it seems so quiet compared to my own M2 makes me realise how anti social my own car really is!!

I am based in the Czech Republic, if we were to receive a sensible offer now we would consider selling it.

It has not been registered yet meaning it has ONLY delivery KM's and will stay that way. I have export papers all ready so if anyone is interested please DM me!

It was the strangest feeling being back in a fully stock factory M2.

More pictures to follow hopefully next week.

I know not everyone will agree with storage, but I felt compulsed to buy it and eventually sell it to someone who I know will drive it like it should be driven ( even though I know I'm storing it )
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
Al1969533.50
AndrewC198910932.50
JustChris17538.00
      05-11-2018, 02:07 PM   #2
HammerDahn
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 18 M2

Not a terrible idea but Long Beach Blue will be the color to have for an investment car... I'd love to buy two of every car I've had! It would be amazing to drive a stock one in 20-40 years!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2018, 02:19 PM   #3
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

Interesting, and congrats.

Curious what your thoughts on on value, long term, being a pre-LCI and pre-Comp model? Is this a 10+ year plan/investment?

D
      05-11-2018, 02:39 PM   #4
krizze
Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerDahn View Post
Not a terrible idea but Long Beach Blue will be the color to have for an investment car... I'd love to buy two of every car I've had! It would be amazing to drive a stock one in 20-40 years!
I'd say LBB is the worst investment out of all the colours, the colour is the most popular of all the colours! Too many around.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2018, 02:45 PM   #5
krizze
Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan86 View Post
Interesting, and congrats.

Curious what your thoughts on on value, long term, being a pre-LCI and pre-Comp model? Is this a 10+ year plan/investment?

D
Hi Dylan

My thoughts are simple, we got the car for a really really good price, the dealer didn't really advertise the car and the area where I am isn't very rich, so the car didn't sell they needed to get rid and as soon as they called me there was a bidding war, however I have a good friend at my dealer so I submitted an offer and already buying 1 M2 from them they accepted it!

So I could now sell it for €5000 profit no problem, but it all depends on many factors, such as, the M2 Comp how good will it really be? If it's no good then people will be dying to get they're hands on a new N55 motor, so we will see.

I am in no rush to sell, but our thoughts are that a Pre LCI which is basically the first and original M2 will one day be a wanted vehicle, with all the EU Regulations coming into play and emissions getting more strict, cars like the M2 will not be around or be produced much longer especially old school engines like the N55. Thus boosting the value.

This is of course only my opinion, but it is one shared by a few people I discussed this particular car with, either way it's a no brainer the price was crazy cheap and worst case scenario should all really fail, we have a brand new M2, arguably the best car BMW has made in the last 10 years!

KN
Appreciate 2
Dylan861330.00
ewohar21.50
      05-11-2018, 02:50 PM   #6
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by krizze View Post
Hi Dylan

My thoughts are simple, we got the car for a really really good price, the dealer didn't really advertise the car and the area where I am isn't very rich, so the car didn't sell they needed to get rid and as soon as they called me there was a bidding war, however I have a good friend at my dealer so I submitted an offer and already buying 1 M2 from them they accepted it!

So I could now sell it for €5000 profit no problem, but it all depends on many factors, such as, the M2 Comp how good will it really be? If it's no good then people will be dying to get they're hands on a new N55 motor, so we will see.

I am in no rush to sell, but our thoughts are that a Pre LCI which is basically the first and original M2 will one day be a wanted vehicle, with all the EU Regulations coming into play and emissions getting more strict, cars like the M2 will not be around or be produced much longer especially old school engines like the N55. Thus boosting the value.

This is of course only my opinion, but it is one shared by a few people I discussed this particular car with, either way it's a no brainer the price was crazy cheap and worst case scenario should all really fail, we have a brand new M2, arguably the best car BMW has made in the last 10 years!

KN
Thanks!

I think you have some very valid points. Makes sense, doing what you did, I think the N55 M2 will always be a sought after enthusiast model, especially 6MT! GL with everything, and thanks for the reply. Cheers

D
      05-11-2018, 03:02 PM   #7
krizze
Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan86 View Post
Quote:
Hi Dylan

KN
Thanks!

I think you have some very valid points. Makes sense, doing what you did, I think the N55 M2 will always be a sought after enthusiast model, especially 6MT! GL with everything, and thanks for the reply. Cheers

D
If only it was a 6MT!! As a collectors item that would be perfect!

No problem man

KN
Appreciate 1
Dylan861330.00
      05-11-2018, 03:24 PM   #8
HODLM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2/AW/6MT; '16 X5 Hybrid

Wait, it's not manual?!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2018, 03:30 PM   #9
krizze
Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HODLM View Post
Wait, it's not manual?!
Unfortunately not. However that being said, if you remember BMW M said they were going to kill the aggressive DCT off, so in a way it's not so bad especially if they eventually stick the ZF 8 speed auto!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2018, 04:07 PM   #10
pissclams
bad ***** poster _
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 M3, 2018 F87

Invest in the stock market, drive cars.
Appreciate 5
akkando5864.50
Rupes1055.50
kfscoll208.50
MSurge83.50
      05-11-2018, 09:50 PM   #11
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Hmmm I am going to invest in some pot stocks or something instead
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2018, 10:36 PM   #12
kfscoll
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 MG M2 6MT, ‘15 MW X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pissclams View Post
Invest in the stock market, drive cars.
1000x this. If I had the spare cash lying around to buy a spare M2 I wouldn’t use it to buy a spare M2, much less one that’s just going to sit. But hey, to each their own!
Appreciate 1
pissclams277.50
      05-12-2018, 12:59 AM   #13
eatingpizzainthef87rules
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Pre-LCI is not a bonus for car collecting, almost every iteration of modern cars LCI version is worth more.

98-99 M3 is worth much more than 96-97

05-06 M3 is worth much more than an 00-04

08 M3 is worth much much less than an 09-10 - and 11+ worth more again

Same with the Z3M in coupe and roadster form.

Same with the 135i LCI, 335i LCI, etc etc etc
Appreciate 1
MSurge83.50
      05-12-2018, 08:57 AM   #14
krizze
Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bovairdf87 View Post
Pre-LCI is not a bonus for car collecting, almost every iteration of modern cars LCI version is worth more.

It will be with this, as it's the first ever M2. No generation before it. The other cars were not the first cars in they're bloodline.

Each to they're own.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2018, 09:28 AM   #15
cme
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 22 M3 xD Comp

M2 will not be a collectors car. Get over it guys. Drive it as it’s a depreciating asset.
Appreciate 1
MSurge83.50
      05-12-2018, 12:28 PM   #16
MSurge
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Comp/2015 AMG C63 507

Extremely wishful thinking by the OP. Not trying to be negative, but the M2 is not going up in value. OP should sell ASAP.
There’s nothing special about the “first M2”, LOL. It’s a mass produced car. With a non-M engine.
IF the M2C is produced for only 1 year, then MAYBE the C will go up in value, IF it’s original and has low miles.

An automatic M2 is only going down in value.

Drive and enjoy it. Don’t buy to flip it, really dumb idea. Especially with the Competition out which is a “full” M car.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2018, 12:50 PM   #17
bobert
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: manual shift cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSurge View Post
Extremely wishful thinking by the OP. Not trying to be negative, but the M2 is not going up in value. OP should sell ASAP.
There’s nothing special about the “first M2”, LOL. It’s a mass produced car. With a non-M engine.
IF the M2C is produced for only 1 year, then MAYBE the C will go up in value, IF it’s original and has low miles.

Drive and enjoy it. Don’t buy to flip it, really dumb idea. Especially with the Competition out which is a “full” M car.

Another person who doesn't even own an M2 trolling current M2 owners who just might be quite happy with their cars...

Why don't you go troll the N55 M2 elsewhere?

PS - pretty sure you don't drive a "2019 M2 Competition" since it's not even out yet.
Spa2k1195.00
      05-12-2018, 02:03 PM   #18
MSurge
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Comp/2015 AMG C63 507

Deposit paid, 3rd delivery my friend.

Trying to help the OP not lose cash.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2018, 02:37 PM   #19
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:

Someone is drinking the koolaid.
bobert858.50
Kid Eh570.50
      05-12-2018, 06:44 PM   #20
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bovairdf87 View Post

It will be with this, as it's the first ever M2. No generation before it. The other cars were not the first cars in they're bloodline.

Each to they're own.
I believe you will be losing money on this car.
Appreciate 2
Spa2k1195.00
pissclams277.50
      05-12-2018, 07:12 PM   #21
Spa2k
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 JCW

Quote:

While you’re waiting for your M2C, you should take a little time to research the history of BMW M Performance. The M2 is as much an M as any other M ever produced. They’re all different, special in their own way and designed for the marketplace at a specific point in time. And remember that the S55 was available when the M2 first came out, but BMW still chose the superior N55.

I agree with you that “investing” in an M2 is probably not the highest and best use of your money. The only time you could make any money on an M2, M2C or any other highly desireable car is when it’s first introduced, in the highest demand and people with more money than sense absolutely must be the first in their area to own one - or 20 years later, when your perfect, unrestored, low-miles car becomes an interesting choice at a collector car auction.
Appreciate 2
S1monQc223.50
pissclams277.50
      05-12-2018, 08:10 PM   #22
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spa2k View Post
Quote:
There's nothing special about the "first M2", LOL. It's a mass produced car. With a non-M engine.
IF the M2C is produced for only 1 year, then MAYBE the C will go up in value, IF it's original and has low miles.

Drive and enjoy it. Don't buy to flip it, really dumb idea. Especially with the Competition out which is a "full" M car.
While you're waiting for your M2C, you should take a little time to research the history of BMW M Performance. The M2 is as much an M as any other M ever produced. They're all different, special in their own way and designed for the marketplace at a specific point in time. And remember that the S55 was available when the M2 first came out, but BMW still chose the superior N55.

I agree with you that "investing" in an M2 is probably not the highest and best use of your money. The only time you could make any money on an M2, M2C or any other highly desireable car is when it's first introduced, in the highest demand and people with more money than sense absolutely must be the first in their area to own one - or 20 years later, when your perfect, unrestored, low-miles car becomes an interesting choice at a collector car auction.
It's not superior. But that's the point. The S55 isn't superior either. These motors have tradeoffs. The N55 was chosen for the M2 because of its purity, straightforward cooling, great sound. Remember it still gets uprated components. The power falls off aggressively before redline but it just isn't that track monster. The S55 pulls all the way to redline, but presents a little more lag, and hosts a complex cooling system with a precariously placed oil cooler. These are different motors for different cars, only the N55 is now discontinued.

New and better marketed doesn't mean better. I miss my S62 dearly and I think it might be the most underrated M motor ever. Is it 'superior'? I don't know. Probably not due to not making a lot of power for displacement. But once you put the magazine down and focus on what makes you happy, suddenly the model designation, year, or badge doesn't seem to matter so much.

As for the rest of the M2, I still wish BMW gave it proper seats and mirrors. But the S55 I can do without and that is after spending time with one.

As a side note I find it comedic that the N55 is being shit on right now. Nobody seems to mind that the 1M didn't get the "superior" S65.