E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > I love the before / after threads, you guys do awesome work!!

06-17-2008, 04:02 PM   #1
Turbo_435i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Fire Spittin 435i

I love the before / after threads, you guys do awesome work!!

I had a few questions also. Why do some guys spray the car with like a "foam" and let it sit. and also, som e guys spray down the engine compartment ? isnt that bad for electrical components ?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2008, 04:07 PM   #2
BayerischeMW
Man with No Name
Norway
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i

the foam is car soap or a stronger degreaser to "pre soak" the dirt. this is done to avoid dragging the wash mitt across the very dirty/contaminated paint, thus avoiding swirls. after this pre soaking, you hose down the car with water and then do a regular wash with a wash mitt and two buckets.

the safest thing to do (and it's recommended) when doing a engine detail is to cover up the electrical components and other vulnerable parts before spraying water or engine degreaser. however, not all do this and still get away with it. no matter what, you should let the water dry up by drying and then air dry before starting the car. always make sure the ignition is switched off..

E92 335i coupe March 2007
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2008, 04:09 PM   #3
amazzzin
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayerischeMW View Post
the foam is car soap or a stronger degreaser to "pre soak" the dirt. this is done to avoid dragging the wash mitt across the very dirty/contaminated paint, thus avoiding swirls. after this pre soaking, you hose down the car with water and then do a regular wash with a wash mitt and two buckets.

the safest thing to do (and it's recommended) when doing a engine detail is to cover up the electrical components and other vulnerable parts before spraying water or engine degreaser. however, not all do this and still get away with it. no matter what, you should let the water dry up by drying and then air dry before starting the car. always make sure the ignition is switched off..
+1
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2008, 04:33 PM   #4
Turbo_435i
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayerischeMW View Post

I'd much rather do, a more lengthy wipe down, etc,, than spray down my engine compartment and then have electrical issues afterwards, sometimes water can get into connectors etc,, and it wont dry for a long timeeeeeee !!! then ive got problems. plus, no one sees your engine compartment, RIGHT ?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2008, 04:35 PM   #5
Concours Finish
Reflection Obsession
United_States
Rep
Drives: blue "thinking man's bmw"

i detailed a ford expedition and didn't cover anything up. Ended getting water into the engine and had to do the clients other car for free to make up for it. Definately cover distributor, electrical, airbox etc....I had to learn the hard way....
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2008, 04:47 PM   #6
Turbo_435i
Lieutenant
Rep

you got water in their engine, THEN they let you work on the other ride, SAY WHAT ? I would've been like, "sorry man" you aint touching squat i own ever again. I know you've learned your lesson NOW, but I would've never let you / anyone work on my car after that....
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2008, 12:45 AM   #7
Concours Finish
Reflection Obsession
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by schybrid View Post
you got water in their engine, THEN they let you work on the other ride, SAY WHAT ? I would've been like, "sorry man" you aint touching squat i own ever again. I know you've learned your lesson NOW, but I would've never let you / anyone work on my car after that....
The mechanic told him that the expedition is especially finicky about water on the engine and its a known issue. Plus I did an amazing job on the exterior and interior. He actually suggested it first instead of me paying the $350 bill. Here is the slideshow of the detail. check it out for yourself...http://flickr.com/photos/25644255@N0...02682415/show/
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2008, 12:48 AM   #8
yoyeewee
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW M6 coupe

Garage List
Quote:
you got water in their engine, THEN they let you work on the other ride, SAY WHAT ?
LOL!
2008 335i coupe Atlantic Blue with Black Leather Steptronic ZSP ZPP NAV PDC COMFORT ACCESS REAR SUNSHADE HEATED SEATS HD RADIO SIRIUS USB/IPOD 20" Klassen K5.1 3-piece wheels w/Toyo Tires Job Design Body Kit M3 Trunk Spoiler Eisenmann Exhaust Eibach Pro-Kit Springs
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2008, 04:00 AM   #9
jooology
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 2007 335 Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concours Finish View Post
The mechanic told him that the expedition is especially finicky about water on the engine and its a known issue. Plus I did an amazing job on the exterior and interior. He actually suggested it first instead of me paying the $350 bill. Here is the slideshow of the detail. check it out for yourself...http://flickr.com/photos/25644255@N0...02682415/show/
Awesome work on the SUV. One question, what did you use to clean up those leather seats?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2008, 05:30 AM   #10
Concours Finish
Reflection Obsession
United_States
Rep

Combination of stuff:

Lexol leather cleaner, leather scrub brush, woolite diluted 6:1, and lots of cotton terry towels and elbow grease.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2008, 01:08 PM   #11
Turbo_435i
Lieutenant
Rep

explorer did come out sweet, but are you sure they didnt pull a fast one on you, and make it seem like you got water in the engine, for a "free" detail on the Splorer' ?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2008, 01:14 PM   #12
Bimmer330i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 e90 330i N52

WOW... what an impressive job you did on that Explorer. Super work... but, I can't imagine ever letting my car get even close to being that disgusting to start with. Yuck! The carpet and the floormats were a real mess too.

1992 325is Red Coupe, Sold with 270,000 Miles.
1996 Honda VFR 750cc, Red and Black, 12,000 Miles.
2001 525iT Custom-Built Touring Wagon, Electric Red, Sold with 115,000 miles.
2006 330i Sparkling Graphite, Sport/Premium, Nav., 6 spd., L7, Active Steering, etc.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2008, 02:48 AM   #13
Concours Finish
Reflection Obsession
United_States
Rep

Quote:
explorer did come out sweet, but are you sure they didnt pull a fast one on you, and make it seem like you got water in the engine, for a "free" detail on the Splorer' ?
No, I developed good rapport with the owner. I actually was invited to have dinner after detailing his other car. He said I will detail his cars from now on and he knows a couple people that he could refer me to. I'm actually doing his cousin's mustang gt in a few weeks.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2008, 02:50 AM   #14
Concours Finish
Reflection Obsession
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer330i View Post
WOW... what an impressive job you did on that Explorer. Super work... but, I can't imagine ever letting my car get even close to being that disgusting to start with. Yuck! The carpet and the floormats were a real mess too.
It was pretty gross but to the owner's defense, he just bought the car used that same day I detailed it. I guess we'll see the condition the next time I detail it.
Appreciate 0