E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > What MP3 Player

06-20-2008, 08:33 AM   #1
onehappydad
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i - Electric Red/Black

Angry What MP3 Player

My ipod has given me nothing but trouble. Now, it is not even recognized by my pc. I have tried all the recommended steps to repair, but no luck.

I love Apple products, but am seriously considering getting another brand of MP3 player. Two questions:

1 - What brand do you recommend?
2 - How do you convert ipod AAC music files to other formats.

I only listen to music (no video) and need at least 16GB.

Thanks for any input.
      06-20-2008, 09:05 AM   #2
oldaccount
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

try a new ipod. ive never had any issues with mine.

ive had about 10 mp3 players, and the ipod is hands down the best. judging from the ipod competition out now, i dont see myself ever buying a different brand.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2008, 09:10 AM   #3
tintivilus
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
2003 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by onehappydad View Post
2 - How do you convert ipod AAC music files to other formats.
AAC is bog-standard and played by just about everything. There's nothing "iPod" about it other than that Apple was the first major vendor to support it in a portable.

If you bought DRM'ed AAC's from iTunes Music Store you're SOL... that's what you get for buying DRM'ed music
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2008, 09:21 AM   #4
onehappydad
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i - Electric Red/Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintivilus View Post
AAC is bog-standard and played by just about everything. There's nothing "iPod" about it other than that Apple was the first major vendor to support it in a portable.

If you bought DRM'ed AAC's from iTunes Music Store you're SOL... that's what you get for buying DRM'ed music
Are all songs purchased from iTunes DRM'ed? If so I am hosed. I had no idea and am getting quite an education!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suareezay View Post
try a new ipod. ive never had any issues with mine.

ive had about 10 mp3 players, and the ipod is hands down the best. judging from the ipod competition out now, i dont see myself ever buying a different brand.
I have owned 3 ipods and had nothing but issues - battery, charging, etc... Very surprised and frustrated with ipod.
      06-20-2008, 09:42 AM   #5
oldaccount
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
I have owned 3 ipods and had nothing but issues - battery, charging, etc... Very surprised and frustrated with ipod.
thats unusual, but i can see why youd want to go with another brand.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2008, 09:43 AM   #6
tintivilus
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
2003 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Are all songs purchased from iTunes DRM'ed? If so I am hosed. I had no idea and am getting quite an education!
Yeah, iTMS uses DRM unless you paid a little extra for "iTunes Plus" or something like that: if the file has an .m4p extension instead of .m4a then it's DRM'ed. Some utilities to strip iTunes DRM have come and gone; I'm not sure of the current state of the art. If you can strip the AAC out of the DRM'ed wrapper (ie convert .m4p to .m4a) then you should be fine.

Quote:
Huh. We've gone through three (one stolen, two currently in use) with no problems. No worries, though; there are plenty of decent players on the market. I've heard good things in general about Cowon and iRiver.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2008, 10:04 AM   #7
nobled
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sedan 6MT

I have to second the Cowon recommendation, they make some of the best sounding players. Here is a good site for finding information and reviews on mp3 players: http://www.anythingbutipod.com

As for the DRMd music you got from itunes I think there are some programs that can strip out the DRM, but I'm not sure about their legal status . There is always the slow way around it (burn to cd then re-rip...)
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2008, 10:09 AM   #8
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spd Coupe

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Ipods suck. Get yourself a samsung.

removing the DRM can be done for zero money, and zero effort these days, so that shouldn't be a determining factor in your decision.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2008, 10:18 AM   #9
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep
Drives: 997.2 Porsche C4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD Addict View Post
Ipods suck. Get yourself a samsung.

removing the DRM can be done for zero money, and zero effort these days, so that shouldn't be a determining factor in your decision.
I like this comment... but why don't you elaborate instead of just stating your opinion... or is it your opinion? or a fact? ... see? I'm not too sure.

I like Ipods... have had them for a few years... don't know if it's the best but I do know thet they are sooo cool IMHO. Only thing I don't like is using iTunes to store music. And sharing directly from iPods without using iTunes is not possible... I think... But the player outshines those defaults. IMHO
Appreciate 0