E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Forest Fires and Ashes

06-30-2008, 01:57 PM   #1
shragon
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Forest Fires and Ashes

a few of us in the bay area noticed ashes on our cars yesterday and today from various fires in norcal. just wanted to pass along some info regarding ashes and moisture from meguiar's.

Quote:
KEEP THOSE ASHES OFF YOUR CAR!
Barry Meguiar, warns that wet ashes can cause harmful damage to your cars' paint.

Irvine, CA--Ashes from the raging forest fires in Southern California will not harm paint finishes as long as they remain dry, according to Barry Meguiar, president/CEO of Meguiar's, Inc., the leading car care brand in America. The problem is that they will not stay dry for long.

The elements in wood ash including calcium, potassium, phosphorus and magnesium are inert and have no affect in their dry form. There is, however, a serious risk to automotive paint finishes of chemical etching when these elements are mixed with water. As an example, potassium mixed with water has the potential to become potassium hydroxide, which would have characteristics similar to Draino.

Leaving your ash covered car outside on wet nights and foggy mornings may well result in chemical etching taking place. If your car must be left outside, you can minimize or completely eliminate the threat of paint damage by washing your car every day until the fires are over.
      06-30-2008, 02:33 PM   #2
DoubleOh7
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92

never knew that about wet ashes...good info!
      06-30-2008, 02:43 PM   #3
E90Stryker
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i

Thanks for the info Shragon. I live about five miles on the other side of the big Napa fires and have noticed alot of ash on my cars....Good thing I keep the bimmer in the garage!!

picture goes here
Appreciate 0