BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-21-2018, 01:18 AM   #1
Phred
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: G05

Black wheel options

Black wheel options, or lack thereof really, has been an show stopper issue for me (dictated by the commander and chief). Aesthetically on a white X5 black wheels and black trim make a design statement where chrome against white not so much. Our 2016 F15 is white with black - striking. Following on, large wheels with low profile tyres opens up the wheel arch space with lots of chance to see rotors through wheel spokes and defeats the point of "blackness", so 22's not such a good option. A side note - G05 wheel/tyre diameter is the same as the F15, or about 750mm/29.5". Center of wheel, ground to top of wheel arch on the F15 is 805mm and on the G05 815mm so not a great difference. M50d's are option constrained in Australia to 22" wheels - 1PA (742 M), 1SM (747 M) and 1S9 (746 I), period, thanks for coming. And of course none are black. I will have paid for a set of 22" wheels and tyres in the vehicle purchase price. What to do.

. Buy a set of 20" or 21" wheels and tyres. More than likely (particularly if from BMW parts) need to have the wheels sandblasted and powder coated. Best guess for the total cost is upwards of $4k-$5k US which equates to $5k-$7k Aus. Then try to sell the 22's on Ebay.

Pro: This option addresses the black issue and the "openness" of 22's. It also is a better overall tyre option for semi-rural roads.
Con: Cost. Aggrivation.

or

. Just take what comes with the M50d and have the wheels painted. Powder coating looks to cast around $150 - $200 per wheel, plus tyre de-mounting, remounting and balance,, so all up maybe $800 - $1,000. Had a good look at a 30D today with 22" 1PA wheels. I think if the chrome spokes were black it will look ok.

Pro: Cost. Can be achieved relatively easily. Can always do the first option at a later date when I win the lottery..
Cons: Don't get the higher profile tyre for rural roads and the 22" "openness" issue.

On balance the second option will have to do. Would have been nice if BMW offered what were standard options on the F15 (black grille and black wheels) in the initial G05 offering.. Boo, bahh BMW.

BTW, in person the G05 is a completely different car than what one "sees" in photos and videos - much more refined IMHO.
Appreciate 0