BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Backpain in the OG M2.

11-29-2018, 05:05 AM   #1
Chasing Dreams
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: '16 M2

Backpain in the OG M2.

Dear M2 fanboys and alike,

Do you also think the seats in the OG are serious sh*t? I have now clocked 10K KM with them in the last 3 months and I am starting to develop some serious back pain.
I thought they were the same as the sport seats in my F31, but they are far less comfortable.

Seriously thinking about getting other seats. Which I would hate to spend money on.

P.S. I tried the search but couldn't find a similar topic.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2018, 08:01 AM   #2
Fear-Mongrel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI 6MT LBB

Car seats are, in a way, like shoes - they either work for your body or they don't. Nobody here can help you pick the shoes you're wearing, and nobody here can help you pick your seats. The seats in the M2 may be perfect for me, but a torture device for you. You have to find seats that work for your body size, musculature, spine, etc. and that may be something different from what works for other people. You could go on a Recaro forum and ask about a particular seat design and the first 20 people that respond could tell you it's horrible - but it still may be the perfect seat for your specific body. Plus, you're on a 40K KM per year pace - that's HUGE seat time for anyone, no wonder your body is complaining. With that kind of mileage, you should be spending the money on the best seats you can afford.
Appreciate 5
      11-29-2018, 08:14 AM   #3
subliminalaudio
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Adjust your posture I learned this at the performance center and now I love this seats
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2018, 09:35 AM   #4
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
Originally Posted by subliminalaudio View Post
Adjust your posture I learned this at the performance center and now I love this seats
It is usually that the seats aren’t adjusted correctly for your body.

I also found out that having my wallet in my back pocket caused me to have back pain. Taking the wallet out of the pocket made the pain go away.
Appreciate 1
M Fifty845.50
      11-29-2018, 10:39 AM   #5
geogerf
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY17 LBB M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
It is usually that the seats aren’t adjusted correctly for your body.

I also found out that having my wallet in my back pocket caused me to have back pain. Taking the wallet out of the pocket made the pain go away.
In general it's bad for your spine to sit on your wallet. I use a front pocket
Appreciate 1
akkando5864.50
      11-29-2018, 10:44 AM   #6
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

It takes me up to 3 months of owning a new car to find the right seating position that complies with my lower back. Some cars faster than others as it only took me less than a month in the M2 to find a position that didn't cause me lower back pain likely due to the fact it has quite a lot of adjustability compared to some cars with sports seats like Ford or EVO Recaro seats. There are some good videos about how to set up your seat properly as a lot of people don't adjust their seats and sideview mirrors properly.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2018, 11:04 AM   #7
3tekcorps
Major
Rep
Drives: In Gestation

Unless you have a build that fits them well, they are total sh*t. I was just too big for the entire seat and sold my 16 M2 after 4 months of it. The thigh bolsters are pretty narrow and couldn't get the back pain to stop. I think about 5'8" 150 pounds is the ideal size.

I have a set of these in another vehicle and LVOE them.

http://scheel-mann.com/products

The M4 seats seem like a big improvement in the Comp.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2018, 11:19 AM   #8
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Sounds like you need a front pocket wallet.

I have this one and love it: https://www.ridgewallet.com/collections/wallets
Appreciate 1
      11-29-2018, 11:25 AM   #9
magha
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 AW 6 spd

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by subliminalaudio View Post
It is usually that the seats aren't adjusted correctly for your body.

U need to declutter it ala George Castanza! Lol

Switched to a clip with a slot for a few cards and problem fixed

18 M2 6 Spd AW - VRSF DP / CP & Race FMIC, ER TIC & GFB DV+ with BM3 Stage 2
Retired 09 135 JB4 G5 ISO w/BEF, N54 Tuning Performance DPs, BMS DCI, ER Charge Pipe
Appreciate 2
AndrewC198910932.50
      11-29-2018, 11:35 AM   #10
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasing Dreams View Post
Dear M2 fanboys and alike,

Do you also think the seats in the OG are serious sh*t? I have now clocked 10K KM with them in the last 3 months and I am starting to develop some serious back pain.
I thought they were the same as the sport seats in my F31, but they are far less comfortable.

Seriously thinking about getting other seats. Which I would hate to spend money on.

LOL, Jussi?
Je rijdt er dagelijks mee van Antwerpen naar Amsterdam dacht ik? Pak liever de trein man. Of zet er Recaros in ofzo.

I found the OG M2 seats more or less ok, nothing special, I really prefer the M2C bucketseats.

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2018, 12:35 PM   #11
F87_LCI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB F87

Swapped the OG seats to the M4 seats, much better for me personally - and arguably much nicer looking. Lumbar support on the M4 seats just works better with my frame than the OG seats. Not a cheap mod though...
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2018, 03:23 PM   #12
Dabozo
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 BSM MT

Damn! someone beat me to it with the Seinfeld reference lol

Lots of adjustment points...play around with it. They are not the most comfy seats for sure but also not bad.
20000km and no issues.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2018, 03:43 PM   #13
magha
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabozo View Post

Lots of adjustment points...play around with it. They are not the most comfy seats for sure but also not bad.
20000km and no issues.
Lol am sure there will be plenty of other opportunities

There's a Seinfeld reference in almost all aspects of life. LOVE IT!

Wonder what Jerry's thoughts on the M2 are although I believe he's a Porsche guy

Retired 09 135 JB4 G5 ISO w/BEF, N54 Tuning Performance DPs, BMS DCI, ER Charge Pipe
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2018, 03:53 PM   #14
Rodan
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 6MT LBB M2

As others have said, it took me a few months to find the ideal seating position. Even then, I still find the seats, and their lack of a lower seating position one of the weak points of the OG M2.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2018, 04:12 PM   #15
Dabozo
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 BSM MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by magha View Post
Quote:

20000km and no issues.

Wonder what Jerry's thoughts on the M2 are although I believe he's a Porsche guy
Jerry what you think about the M2?

Jerry: "Meh"
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2018, 04:14 PM   #16
magha
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by magha View Post
Quote:

20000km and no issues.

Jerry what you think about the M2?

Jerry: "Meh"
Lol or stringy like baboos shrimp

Sorry this thread is en route to getting hijacked

Appreciate 1
Dabozo624.50
      11-29-2018, 04:19 PM   #17
tranck
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpine White BMW M2

Garage List
2018 M2  [0.00]
I'm 6'5" 200 lbs and I have to guard against falling asleep in them.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2018, 04:31 PM   #18
mbrunner
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911/Lotus Exige S

I don't get back pain but do have complaints over the ergonomics of the seating position. If you look at everything nothing is really optimally placed. The left side of the wheel to me feels slightly further than the right, the seat is not centered (beaten to death), the pedals are also a bit off. I just feel twisted driving the car sometimes. I am good for about 45-60 min in the car but then usually develop some knee pain.

Only an issue during a boring commute/stopandgo. I forget about it when I am driving for fun but still kind of funky.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2018, 04:59 PM   #19
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep
Drives: BSM F87 LCI (DCT)

The seat has like a dozen settings and thigh extenders, cant u find a position thatll ease your back?

But If you have back pain then any seat position, car will be hurting
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2018, 05:03 PM   #20
randyt
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 MGM 6MT M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
6'5" 200 lbs, 36" inseam.

Finding a car that fits seems to be harder than I think it should be but many are easy to rule out. It's not just the seat, but the entire geometry of your body as it sits in the seat and the surrounding car. Leg, seat and back geometry & support all play a role as does physical fitness and genetic factors.

Most Japanese cars don't seem to work well for me.

I drove the M2 1,600 miles/2,500 km in the first 10 days and am up to 5,500 mi total. Longest day behind the wheel is probably 8 hours.

Not perfect, but no real problems or pain either. I have spent a fair amount of time trying to get the seat right but think I have it pretty close now.

If it doesn't work for you I have a lot of sympathy as I have had some cars that I just don't fit and driving long distances can be painful.

Hope you find a cost effective solution that works for you.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2018, 05:18 PM   #21
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogerf View Post
In general it's bad for your spine to sit on your wallet. I use a front pocket
Front pocket wallet here!
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10593.50
      11-29-2018, 07:05 PM   #22
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasing Dreams View Post
Chasing Dreams, see also here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Seat position is key.

I believe you when you suggest that you toyed already with all sorts of seat positions, but also try to experiment more with 'tilt' (whole seat angle changing). My seat is positioned at its lowest possible position + maximum backwards tilt (knees as high as possible). And when I head for a spirited drive, I move the seat a little closer towards the steering wheel + seat side-bolsters maximum inflated.

I enjoy doing long mountain driving stints (up to 11 hrs consecutive - my wife wants me to be back for dinner and before dark). Just a few stops to take some pictures of the scenery while the car can cool down a little + fuel refill stop. Not getting out the car (or the next day out of bed) like a crippled person.

Manual transmission. As good as 6ft tall (1m80). The fastest way home is a curved one. And as regards stamina Dackelone calls me a "machine".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Yes... Artemis IS a driving machine, bc he never seems to tire on our travels thru the Alps.

963mw I sometimes get cramps in my left leg too... when I drive my 135i brisk thru the twisty Alps. What I noticed is that it is my seating position... or rather that I am using my left leg to brace myself - as we drive briskly thru the turns. I also drive a manual.

I think the only solution for you is to give me your car - to test my theory out!

Seriously, try positioning your seat differently. When sitting behind the wheel(properly)... your wrists at the 12'O clock position on the wheel should be able to touch the steering wheel. Your shoulders shouldn't move off the seat while turning the wheel. Also your arms should be bent when at the 3 and 9 O'clock positions. Your legs should be bent slightly too.

Dackel

PS: My neck(muscles) also starts to hurt after a few days of driving with our small bunch of friends thru the Alps.