E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Dealer installed ipod interface

07-15-2008, 11:26 PM   #1
l8apexer
Private
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Dealer installed ipod interface

Does it allow display of track information on the non-iDrive head unit or is functionality limited to radio & steering controls along with charging? Is it essentially recognized as a CD changer?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2008, 03:56 AM   #2
AoshichanX
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jet Black e90 335i

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by l8apexer View Post
Does it allow display of track information on the non-iDrive head unit or is functionality limited to radio & steering controls along with charging? Is it essentially recognized as a CD changer?
I believe so. I have not given up on the 6FL retrofit.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2008, 08:17 AM   #3
l8apexer
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AoshichanX View Post
I believe so. I have not given up on the 6FL retrofit.
The 6FL is limited by the options on your car, right? Mine has BT, no I-drive, and BMW assist (2008 328xi) - from what I've read, it doesn't appear that the 6FL may be an option(?)...
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2008, 08:38 AM   #4
tintivilus
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
2003 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Yes. You can navigate all the menu trees, but the top level menu is "CD1" "CD2" etc and the adapter shows up as a CD Changer.

It's a fake mp3-cd changer. If you can remember "Playlists-Artists-Albums-Genres-Podcasts-Shuffle" You'll be fine. There are tons of pics of the UI if you dig a little.

You might be thinking of the first-gen iPod adapter for E46, which only really worked if you maintained the magical BMW playlists it looked for. The MOST cars use the 2nd-gen adapter which is fairly decent.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2008, 09:35 AM   #5
sparky12
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

Quote:
It is recognized as a CD changer but displays track information as well. I just had it installed in my 2008 e90 and was pleasantly surprised. Each "CD" in the changer displays different information. CD 1 shows by playlist, CD 2 shows by artist, etc. The only downside I've seen is the display is too small to show the entire track, depending on length.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2008, 09:36 AM   #6
sparky12
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintivilus View Post
Yes. You can navigate all the menu trees, but the top level menu is "CD1" "CD2" etc and the adapter shows up as a CD Changer.

It's a fake mp3-cd changer. If you can remember "Playlists-Artists-Albums-Genres-Podcasts-Shuffle" You'll be fine. There are tons of pics of the UI if you dig a little.

You might be thinking of the first-gen iPod adapter for E46, which only really worked if you maintained the magical BMW playlists it looked for. The MOST cars use the 2nd-gen adapter which is fairly decent.
^^^ What he said.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2008, 03:22 PM   #7
BavarianBullet
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi S5

Ipod/USB adapter

I've been looking into this as well and there are two Part #s for the 6FL retrofit from what I've been able to tell:

1) A kit that requires the phone kit module for some reason. It's megabucks to buy the parts seperately, ie not smart unless you have the BT phone kit as I understand it.
2) No options but the Logic 7 itself: this kit has the Ipod/USB module, wires, wire connector blocks etc to throw the kit in. The only difference that I can see between this and the real 6FL option is that the instructions point to drilling two holes in the left inside of the glovebox vs the OEM position which would be in the armrest. I think you may be able to get around this just by getting longer cables etc. Drill where you want to basically...

The bad news is, as with everything BMW, the price is well, rape. The crazy price for these options OEM just goes higher when buy the parts aftermarket.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2008, 02:34 PM   #8
l8apexer
Private
Rep

Just to clarify - does the MOST interface provide song/title info on the radio for cars which do not have navigation or i-drive?
Appreciate 0