BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-05-2019, 01:53 PM   #1
MystroX5
Brigadier General
MystroX5's Avatar
4589
Rep
4,107
Posts

Drives: 2020 X7 M50i 2019 M2 Comp
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Central Pa.

iTrader: (0)

BMWs own leathercare with UV is great on Merino

I wanted to give some feedback on accessible quality leather care. I wanted to try BMW’s own products before using my own stash of quality leather care products. I tried the BMW Leathercare with UV protection kit on my Merino ivory white leather and trim. I cleaned my new leather first as there is always a surprising amount of manufacturing dust on new leather.
Product when on with supplied sponge. Wasn’t greasy or heavy with perfumes. Buffed it on and let it sit for a few minutes then buffed it off with supplies white disposable towels. Outstanding results. It left a matt/satin finish and softened up the new Merino leather by 30%. The end result wasn’t wet, tacky or greasy. Just a perfect glow. Door handles are softer as well. I wanted to get a layer of protection on the leather while it was new.




Appreciate 6
ScottMZ3425.50
Mark609159.00
Nick M.31.50
RVAGuy153.50
volodp90.50
      01-05-2019, 02:06 PM   #2
ScottMZ3
Captain
United_States
426
Rep
790
Posts

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1, 2019 X5 40i
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Roseville, CA

iTrader: (0)

Thanks for posting! I’m almost out of my leather cleaner. I’ll give this stuff a try! Decent price too!
__________________
- Scott
Current Cars: 2019 X5 xDrive40i M-Sport, 2018 Camaro ZL1
Past BMWs: '16 528i, '00 M-Coupe, '14 X1 sDrive28i, '00 740iL, '02 325i, '99 M-Coupe, '00 323Ci, '79 323i, '83 320i
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2019, 02:12 PM   #3
MystroX5
Brigadier General
MystroX5's Avatar
4589
Rep
4,107
Posts

Drives: 2020 X7 M50i 2019 M2 Comp
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Central Pa.

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottMZ3 View Post
Thanks for posting! I’m almost out of my leather cleaner. I’ll give this stuff a try! Decent price too!
Go for it. Can’t go wrong and since it’s BMW, I wasnt worries about any coloring/darkening on my ivory white leather. I am also using the BMW “Purecare leather and upholstery cleaner” for daily cleaning. I figured there won’t be any conflicts with the leathercare either. Some products out there can not play well together. Last thing you want is to find this out on a new $100k BMW Extended interior.
BMW product pricing for this stuff is good for oem. IMO.



Last edited by MystroX5; 01-05-2019 at 03:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2019, 02:48 PM   #4
Jrunr
Captain
Germany
169
Rep
602
Posts

Drives: 2019 BMW X5 M40i - G05
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Savannah, GA

iTrader: (0)

I have always loved the Zaino leather products. The leather conditioner smells like heaven!!! Lol
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2019, 02:56 PM   #5
wrickem
Big grille
wrickem's Avatar
1651
Rep
3,529
Posts

Drives: what he wants to
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: lambertville nj

iTrader: (0)

Please give an update if you try this one. I've tried other BMW leather cleaners and conditioners and always found them very greasy that wouldn't work in without it becoming a chore. I always end up going back to Meguires, Zymol or Lexol
__________________
______________________________________________
Current- '21 430 , '19 911, 07 M6 ,'17 Jeep Wrangler
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2019, 02:57 PM   #6
MystroX5
Brigadier General
MystroX5's Avatar
4589
Rep
4,107
Posts

Drives: 2020 X7 M50i 2019 M2 Comp
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Central Pa.

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrickem View Post
Please give an update if you try this one. I've tried other BMW leather cleaners and conditioners and always found them very greasy that wouldn't work in without it becoming a chore. I always end up going back to Meguires, Zymol or Lexol
I hate shiny (armor all)wet looking leather. Yuck. No issues at all with this stuff. Not greasy and leather was left with a satin finish. Simple wipe on, let sit for a few minutes, buff off. Total time for the entire X5 was 20 minutes. I would say it left a better finish than Lexol. The product isn’t as sticky as Lexol conditioner. I do love Lexol cleaner but like SONAX leather cleaner the best.
Appreciate 1
wrickem1651.00
      01-05-2019, 03:30 PM   #7
wrickem
Big grille
wrickem's Avatar
1651
Rep
3,529
Posts

Drives: what he wants to
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: lambertville nj

iTrader: (0)

^^^that is great! Thank you. I'll be trying it out on your recommendation and it sounds like I'm going to have a new favorite leather cleaner and conditioner.
__________________
______________________________________________
Current- '21 430 , '19 911, 07 M6 ,'17 Jeep Wrangler
Appreciate 1
MystroX54588.50
      01-05-2019, 08:18 PM   #8
CPTHALL
Second Lieutenant
33
Rep
203
Posts

Drives: None
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (0)

I just purchased Gyeon Leather Shield. Its similar to ceramic coating. Goes on wet and cures with the original matte finish. Does not change the color , finish , or feel. UV, hydrophobic , repels dirt, dye transfer does not absorb. Last 12 months and keeps leather looking new.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2019, 01:33 AM   #9
Jrunr
Captain
Germany
169
Rep
602
Posts

Drives: 2019 BMW X5 M40i - G05
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Savannah, GA

iTrader: (0)

This may sound strange, but how does the BMW leather care smell? That was the biggest thing for me with the Zaino. The leather conditioner made the car smell like new leather again. I love it!
Appreciate 1
wrickem1651.00
      01-06-2019, 02:48 AM   #10
SCA
Brigadier General
SCA's Avatar
United_States
517
Rep
3,747
Posts

Drives: Multiple BMWs
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: 🇺🇸

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPTHALL View Post
I just purchased Gyeon Leather Shield. It’s similar to ceramic coating. Goes on wet and cures with the original matte finish. Does not change the color , finish , or feel. UV, hydrophobic , repels dirt, dye transfer does not absorb. Last 12 months and keeps leather looking new.
This ^ 1000x.

Any product from Gyeon is truly outstanding! Google or YouTube their line of products.

* Note that I have zero affiliation with Gyeon nor any of their distributors.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2019, 05:40 AM   #11
The Libertine
Major
The Libertine's Avatar
United_States
897
Rep
1,043
Posts

Drives: 2018 BMW X5
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Boston, MA

iTrader: (0)

Thanks for the review. I’ve had good experience with Meguiar’s but am willing to give BMW products a try.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2019, 07:42 AM   #12
MystroX5
Brigadier General
MystroX5's Avatar
4589
Rep
4,107
Posts

Drives: 2020 X7 M50i 2019 M2 Comp
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Central Pa.

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrunr View Post
This may sound strange, but how does the BMW leather care smell? That was the biggest thing for me with the Zaino. The leather conditioner made the car smell like new leather again. I love it!
Very light smelling.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2019, 08:17 AM   #13
lumpydog
Captain
lumpydog's Avatar
657
Rep
967
Posts

Drives: 2019 X5
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Boston

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPTHALL View Post
I just purchased Gyeon Leather Shield. It’s similar to ceramic coating. Goes on wet and cures with the original matte finish. Does not change the color , finish , or feel. UV, hydrophobic , repels dirt, dye transfer does not absorb. Last 12 months and keeps leather looking new.
I’m a Zaino fan, I found that it did the best job of getting blue jean dye out of the seat base. I had to clean the dye up often as I wear blue jeans to work. Zaino smelled great, as pointed out.

CPTHALL - how well does Gyeon repel Jean dye? After owning sand beige as an interior color (and loving it) I went with Coffee to put my dye cleanup days behind me. If I knew I could prevent the dye transfer, I may have looked harder at Ivory as an interior color....
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2019, 08:27 AM   #14
CPTHALL
Second Lieutenant
33
Rep
203
Posts

Drives: None
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpydog View Post
Im a Zaino fan, I found that it did the best job of getting blue jean dye out of the seat base. I had to clean the dye up often as I wear blue jeans to work. Zaino smelled great, as pointed out.

CPTHALL - how well does Gyeon repel Jean dye? After owning sand beige as an interior color (and loving it) I went with Coffee to put my dye cleanup days behind me. If I knew I could prevent the dye transfer, I may have looked harder at Ivory as an interior color....
I have always stayed away from light interiors due to having seen cars with stained interior. Now that I am older and I want what I want and I wanted ivory . Been wearing jeans all week to see and so far nothing. I believe if the color does show it will be surface only and will wipe off. So far so good. It also prevents steering wheel from looking glossy. I dont work for Gyeon I am just a clean freak.
Appreciate 1
volodp90.50
      01-06-2019, 08:34 AM   #15
MystroX5
Brigadier General
MystroX5's Avatar
4589
Rep
4,107
Posts

Drives: 2020 X7 M50i 2019 M2 Comp
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Central Pa.

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPTHALL View Post
I have always stayed away from light interiors due to having seen cars with stained interior. Now that I am older and I want what I want and I wanted ivory . Been wearing jeans all week to see and so far nothing. I believe if the color does show it will be surface only and will wipe off. So far so good. It also prevents steering wheel from looking glossy. I don’t work for Gyeon I am just a clean freak.
Fear not. I had a all white interior for the last 2 years with 2 young kids doing family road trips to Disney and the beach. My white leather in my Summit that I just traded in was perfect. Not a mark on the entire interior of the car. (kids are also properly trained)
White is nothing to fear as long as you take care of it.
Dirt is dirt on leather if you see it or not so color is irrelevant. Same is true for exterior colors. Some colors are just more honest than others in what’s on it.

Last edited by MystroX5; 01-06-2019 at 10:49 AM..
Appreciate 1
volodp90.50
      01-06-2019, 10:28 AM   #16
Jrunr
Captain
Germany
169
Rep
602
Posts

Drives: 2019 BMW X5 M40i - G05
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Savannah, GA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPTHALL View Post
I just purchased Gyeon Leather Shield. Its similar to ceramic coating. Goes on wet and cures with the original matte finish. Does not change the color , finish , or feel. UV, hydrophobic , repels dirt, dye transfer does not absorb. Last 12 months and keeps leather looking new.
I had the same thing done when I got my car ceramic coated. Part of the package what he do the interior leather as well. (I know he did the seats, burninforgotnto ask if he did the dash and doors as well...)

The X5 still had that brand new car smell after the coating.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2019, 10:31 AM   #17
******
Banned
United_States
2073
Rep
1,689
Posts

Drives: 2019 X5 Msport
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Greenville, SC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
I wanted to give some feedback on accessible quality leather care. I wanted to try BMW’s own products before using my own stash of quality leather care products. I tried the BMW Leathercare with UV protection kit on my Merino ivory white leather and trim. I cleaned my new leather first as there is always a surprising amount of manufacturing dust on new leather.
Product when on with supplied sponge. Wasn’t greasy or heavy with perfumes. Buffed it on and let it sit for a few minutes then buffed it off with supplies white disposable towels. Outstanding results. It left a matt/satin finish and softened up the new Merino leather by 30%. The end result wasn’t wet, tacky or greasy. Just a perfect glow. Door handles are softer as well. I wanted to get a layer of protection on the leather while it was new.




Do you still have the new car smell after using this?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2019, 10:48 AM   #18
MystroX5
Brigadier General
MystroX5's Avatar
4589
Rep
4,107
Posts

Drives: 2020 X7 M50i 2019 M2 Comp
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Central Pa.

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herdalum View Post
Do you still have the new car smell after using this?
Absolutely.
Appreciate 1
******2073.00
      01-06-2019, 10:55 AM   #19
******
Banned
United_States
2073
Rep
1,689
Posts

Drives: 2019 X5 Msport
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Greenville, SC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
Absolutely.
Cool. I just ordered some on Amazon.
Appreciate 1
MystroX54588.50
      01-06-2019, 11:05 AM   #20
MystroX5
Brigadier General
MystroX5's Avatar
4589
Rep
4,107
Posts

Drives: 2020 X7 M50i 2019 M2 Comp
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Central Pa.

iTrader: (0)

You can get (very accurate) new car smell in a bottle but I have found if I keep my vehicle immaculate and don’t eat in it, the car smells new for years.
Appreciate 1
smomin23280.00
      01-06-2019, 12:25 PM   #21
sygazelle
Brigadier General
3600
Rep
3,027
Posts

Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (0)

Just ordered my BMWs own leathercare with UV on Amazon. They didn't have the other product you recommended. I will search for it too.

Thanks for the recommendation. I ordered Ivory Merino and I'm mildly worried about the upkeep issues. These products will helpl a lot.

My current Black Dakota is bulletproof and I just use a damp cloth. I might try the BMWs own leathercare with UV on the Black Dakota and see if it makes any difference.
Appreciate 1
MystroX54588.50
      01-21-2020, 11:02 AM   #22
PetrSY
Registered
0
Rep
4
Posts

Drives: BMW M550i
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: ZL

iTrader: (0)

Hello, can you share your experience with this cleaner? It is right tool for nappa leather in 550i 2020 or swissvax leather care is better?
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:45 AM.




xbimmers
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST