E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Questions about passport 9500i

07-18-2008, 05:41 PM   #1
gmoney
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335 Coupe

Questions about passport 9500i

I just got this radar detector as a gift, but have a few questions on it's actual usage.

I skimmed thru the manual and it seems pretty straight forward... but I noticed this when I used it for the first time.

1) I had it on Auto mode, and every time I heard "K band", whether the signal was weak or strong, I didn't see any police car around... why?

2) When I did see five cops during my trip, (three were Highway Patrols, and two were regular LAPD) my detector didn't even do the slightest peep... and I was literally right next to them. Well, on two occasions I was next to them, the highway patrols were a few cars ahead and one of them was on the opposite side of the freeway... but still, shouldn't I have heard an alert at during any of these?

Thanks in advance for your time.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2008, 09:19 PM   #2
csupernova
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

You must understand that this is a RADAR detector and not a cop detector.

Anyway, if the radar gun is not switched on, your detector will never able to pick up the signal. Becareful, your detector can't be fast enough to detect LASER. By the time your detector beeps, you're too late to hit the brake.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2008, 10:48 PM   #3
smellthebeans
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: LPCs

Garage List
1990 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmoney View Post
I just got this radar detector as a gift, but have a few questions on it's actual usage.

I skimmed thru the manual and it seems pretty straight forward... but I noticed this when I used it for the first time.

1) I had it on Auto mode, and every time I heard "K band", whether the signal was weak or strong, I didn't see any police car around... why?

Motion sensors & burglary alarms operate on both K & X band

2) When I did see five cops during my trip, (three were Highway Patrols, and two were regular LAPD) my detector didn't even do the slightest peep... and I was literally right next to them. Well, on two occasions I was next to them, the highway patrols were a few cars ahead and one of them was on the opposite side of the freeway... but still, shouldn't I have heard an alert at during any of these?

Does not detect law enforcement officers...

Thanks in advance for your time.
      07-21-2008, 12:41 AM   #4
Kloogy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X5 Sport

Garage List
I live in so cal too. What csupernova posted is what you need to understand. I do quite a bit of driving around San Diego, OC and LA. From my experience , I can tell you that it won't go off on the freeway much unless it's Highway Patrol. Most of them seem to have their radar on all the time. Turn your X, and K bands off, since they will be false alarms 99.9% of the time. If Ka goes off, it will be very likely police. But like people posted already, it's NOT a cop car detector, so you still have to keep your eyes open. I have an X50 Passport and I just took a trip to Phoenix and back. I caught every single cop on the way out there and back. I did a steady 100mph, with no worries. It's a great tool on the open road.
2004 Mustang GT Vert. - Modded
Appreciate 0