E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Dinan Oil Cooler...rubbing issues?

07-18-2008, 07:03 PM   #1
samps
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Transit

Dinan Oil Cooler...rubbing issues?

Anyone with the Dinan Oil Cooler have any rubbing issues? My dealer is looking into this from Dinan but I thought I'd post to see if anyone is experiencing the same thing as me.

I have 235/35/19's on front with ET 35 BBS CH (dia. = 25.48). Dinan is 255/30/19's on front, ET ? (dia. = 25.02). ET shouldn't matter too much.

The front tire is rubbing on the oil cooler slats. In fact, one of the slats is bent back due to this. My whole issue with this is that Dinan also runs this tire size. If the ET of the front wheel was different, it would be another slat. This is somewhat baffling me. I have Toyo T1R's, which are more rounded, so the tire doesn't stick out as much as others in the corners.

The wheel/tire combo for Dinan is 0.48' smaller in diameter. Could the clearance tolerance for the Dinan Oil Cooler be this small? This doesn't seem right to me.

Anyone experience this problem?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2008, 07:42 PM   #2
vase330
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 E63S; 15.5 RangeRover ATB

Did you drop your car? That might also factor in some.

First YES the clearance might be very small to where an inch would cause a problem. Question is did you drop your car? Unless you have same exact set up as Dinan and only difference is tire width, then it could be any number of things including offset, drop or lack there of. Are your struts busted? possibilities are many..
      07-18-2008, 09:33 PM   #3
Vince@ V K Motorwerks
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 01 Black 911 Turbo, 09 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by samps View Post
Anyone with the Dinan Oil Cooler have any rubbing issues? My dealer is looking into this from Dinan but I thought I'd post to see if anyone is experiencing the same thing as me.

I have 235/35/19's on front with ET 35 BBS CH (dia. = 25.48). Dinan is 255/30/19's on front, ET ? (dia. = 25.02). ET shouldn't matter too much.

The front tire is rubbing on the oil cooler slats. In fact, one of the slats is bent back due to this. My whole issue with this is that Dinan also runs this tire size. If the ET of the front wheel was different, it would be another slat. This is somewhat baffling me. I have Toyo T1R's, which are more rounded, so the tire doesn't stick out as much as others in the corners.

The wheel/tire combo for Dinan is 0.48' smaller in diameter. Could the clearance tolerance for the Dinan Oil Cooler be this small? This doesn't seem right to me.

I see that you have an e90, did you change your fog light, take a look at it and see if its glass. If you have a plastic fog light lens then you need to change that out. The rear of the plastic fog lamp pushes the oil cooler further out so this may be the issue.

Vince
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2008, 11:38 PM   #4
Orb
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by samps View Post

I running 235/30 x 19 with a rolling diameter of 25.5". I have no rubbing issue at with my Dinan oil cooler.

Orb
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2008, 04:06 PM   #5
samps
Captain
Canada
Rep

I have an E90 with M-Tech kit. The stock foglight would not work, but the M-Tech bumper is fine.

Struts are fine. Lowering and wheel offset shouldn't matter. If they were different the oil cooler would just be rubbing at a different part, no?

This is really baffling me. While my setup may not be exact as Dinan's, it is not that different. I think it's odd that the clearance tolerance is that tiny.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2008, 04:23 PM   #6
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: A6 Allroad

Lowering the car will move it closer since as you lower the car the OC nears the wheel at its widest point on the vertical plane.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2008, 11:59 PM   #7
samps
Captain
Canada
Rep

But won't lowering only change the wheel location vertically? The spot that is rubbing will only move higher on the oil cooler, no?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2008, 02:35 PM   #8
samps
Captain
Canada
Rep

Well I think I figured out the problem. I spoke with Dinan and apparently they do not support the M-Tech kit yet. With my stock front bumper, the passenger foglight had to be removed as there wasn't enough clearance. Dinan does list a separate passenger foglight part number (which is shallower to allow clearance).

Unfortunately, I don't know if there is a shallower passenger foglight for the M-Tech front bumper. I just took a look at the oil cooler, and the bottom of the cooler is closer to the wheel than the top. So, one of two things is happening:

1. The passenger foglight in the M-Tech bumper is pushing the oil cooler back slightly on the bottom.
2. The oil cooler is being held in place too far back (which I hope). In this case I can just push the bottom of the oil cooler a little further into the bumper.

If the foglight is in fact pushing the bottom of the oil cooler back, I'll have to remove the foglight (which I don't want), or if I can space it out to allow for more clearance. In which case I'll have to space out the driver side as well so that they match.

Geez, the price of better performance, eh? LOL.

Last edited by samps; 07-29-2008 at 11:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2008, 04:17 PM   #9
flukey
Go big or go home!
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335xi

Bump any news on this issue?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2008, 04:27 PM   #10
samps
Captain
Canada
Rep

flukey sent me a PM so I thought I'd post my update here as well:

Well, the dealer had to fix an oil leak so I asked the performance director to have a look at the oil cooler fitment / tire rubbing issue. He agrees that the room there is too little. Turns out that the M-Tech fog is providing for very little room for the oil cooler. For the OE bumper, there are two different passenger foglights, one of which is shallower and provides for more clearance. Dinan actually is aware of this shallower foglight and includes a part number on their oil cooler installation instructions.

I spoke with Dinan directly, and they currently don't support the M-Tech bumper. As such, they are not aware if a shallower alternate passenger foglight is available, as per the OE bumper.

The dealer adjusted the mounting on top of the oil cooler and pushed the bottom back as much as possible. I ended up with about 0.25" more clearance (if that), but it is still damn close. One of the protective fins was bent from my tire hitting it, so I just bent it back. It will rub on occasion if I have the wheel turned, and the car is not on level ground.

I have nothing other than that until further input from Dinan (until they try fitting an oil cooler on an M-Tech bumper).
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2008, 07:40 PM   #11
jzchen
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi E90

samps. At first I didn't think anything about fit issues when I had the M Aero kit installed. I was waiting for Dinan to get CARB approval before I did any of their stuff. Luckily for some reason I decided to call them because I wanted to verify their CARB status. (One dealer told me they weren't approved, and hence wouldn't install the software, even though the Dinan website had the CARB EO number on it already.) Reagan, the Dinan tech guy I talked to, must have been reffering to your case when he told me the oil cooler wouldn't fit. I have the stock 17s but still feel uncomfortable with him telling me that. I may give them a call sometime to follow up but it seems unlikely that they will make it fit. I noticed that for the 1 series and 535 they don't even have an oil cooler for them, even though they are selling Stage 2 software. (Maybe all the 1 series and 535s come with an oil cooler already?)
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2008, 10:15 AM   #12
e.n335
Austria
Rep
Drives: e93 ///M3 DCT, 07/2009

I have the same front wheel/tire size ( ET 35 ) as the OP and the VKM oil-cooler which is not that different compared to the Dinan. I have about 0.5 inch minimum space between the tire and the OC slats.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2008, 12:46 PM   #13
jzchen
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi E90

Decided to give Dinan a call again today and they said as of yet no modifications have been made to make the oil cooler fit. They aren't sure when or if they will.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2010, 12:23 PM   #14
5050punk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 Golf R, 2009 335xi Coupe

Sorry to zombie thread this one. I just put my summer wheels back on this weekend, and am now experiencing rubbing when I turn the wheel hard to the right. The last time I had my summer wheels on, I didn't have any issues, and the only things that have changed is that I have Dinan Stage 3 now. I'm taking my car into the installer today to confirm if it's the oil cooler causing this.

Has anyone else run into this since this thread was last active? Does anyone know what the maximum official "supported" wheel/tire size for the front wheels is when a Dinan oil cooler is installed?