E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > More JB3 beta kits hittin' the streets!

07-23-2008, 11:58 AM   #1
RiXst3r
Rep
Drives: M235i

More JB3 beta kits hittin' the streets!

BMS is shipping out more JB3 beta units to the lucky beta testers today, and more on thursday! Still on track for our public release in august!

I will be installing mine this weekend... stay tuned for more results... I am coming from a jb2h, so this should be a good comparison for those looking for a review of what the jb2 to jb3 upgrade might feel like...

These beta units are PNP as you can see, but still not in final trim (the harnes will match OEM tape better)

Also, we are very close to our 1000th BMS customer! Whoever places that order gets their entire order free... (and no, jb3 is not for sale yet...)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-23-2008, 12:10 PM   #2
ezatnova
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

Cool!
Still too early for pics of the switch setup?

On a separate note, I wonder if I'm in the minority here or there are a lot of others in my line of thought. I have to admit that I never even cast a glance towards JB1 or JB2, due to their "primitive" nature (not looking for debate here, this was just MHO). I was on the V2 bandwagon until I learned of V3 with PnP, and then I was sold on waiting for that. Just about that time 29.2/V81 rears it's UGLY UGLY head and then I'm driven towards Dinan. Now, even though the relationship still exists with Dinan/BMW, I don't like where it's heading (they aren't getting any more chummy from what I see) and I never loved the idea of dropping $2k for a virtual product that you just eat the cost of. V3 Doomsday was intriguing, but seeing the torque cut really leads me to believe it's a real work-around, a crutch if you will, to make it work invisibly.

So, now JB3 is around the corner, with PnP, invisibility, a nice safe looking boost taper, no torque sacrifice, switching, and very importantly a much more sophisticated way of tuning than prior JB products (again, really MHO but probably not too debatable)...oh, and a siginificant price savings over V3. Looks like a sweet package!

I can't wait to see what Jim C is cooking up for the SharkEdit / Injector, but this community may have two very nice new options by the end of next month!

Last edited by ezatnova; 07-23-2008 at 12:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2008, 12:14 PM   #3
AU335
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezatnova View Post
Cool!

On a separate note, I wonder if I'm in the minority here or there are a lot of others in my line of thought. I have to admit that I never even cast a glance towards JB1 or JB2, due to their "primitive" nature (not looking for debate here, this was just MHO). I was on the V2 bandwagon until I learned of V3 with PnP, and then I was sold on waiting for that. Just about that time 29.2/V81 rears it's UGLY UGLY head and then I'm driven towards Dinan. Now, even though the relationship still exists with Dinan/BMW, I don't like where it's heading (they aren't getting any more chummy from what I see) and I never loved the idea of dropping $2k for a virtual product that you just eat the cost of. V3 Doomsday was intriguing, but seeing the torque cut really leads me to believe it's a real work-around, a crutch if you will, to make it work invisibly. So, now JB3 is around the corner, with PnP, invisibility, no torque sacrifice, switching, and very importantly a much more sophisticated way of tuning than prior JB products (again, really MHO but probably not too debatable). Looks like a sweet package! I can't wait to see what Jim C is cooking up for the SharkEdit / Injector, but this community may have two very nice new options by the end of next month!
Good read! Thanks for that post!

Im excited about the JB3. I am not power hungry right now so my one and only concern is invisiblity and no hidden codes being thrown. If i can be gaurenteed that, i will be ordering the day the JB3 is released
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2008, 12:28 PM   #4
ezatnova
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU335 View Post
Good read! Thanks for that post!

Im excited about the JB3. I am not power hungry right now so my one and only concern is invisiblity and no hidden codes being thrown. If i can be gaurenteed that, i will be ordering the day the JB3 is released
Thanks!

Amen to the invisibility and reliability > max power too.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2008, 12:34 PM   #5
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

So is this going to be as easy to install/remove as the SSTT?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2008, 12:56 PM   #6
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

Quote:
V3 Doomsday was intriguing, but seeing the torque cut really leads me to believe it's a real work-around, a crutch if you will, to make it work invisibly.

So, now JB3 is around the corner, with PnP, invisibility, a nice safe looking boost taper, no torque sacrifice, switching, and very importantly a much more sophisticated way of tuning than prior JB products (again, really MHO but probably not too debatable)...oh, and a siginificant price savings over V3. Looks like a sweet package!
does anyone have a dyno graph to show the JB3 torque advantage over V3?
      07-23-2008, 12:57 PM   #7
e90AW335i
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tag824 View Post
OMG, learn that the way SSTT plugs in can ONLY control boost. In order to have an ACTUAL TUNE, you have to access the ECU area....
      07-23-2008, 01:16 PM   #8
JOe335i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: R32-08STI-e92335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90AW335i View Post
OMG, learn that the way SSTT plugs in can ONLY control boost. In order to have an ACTUAL TUNE, you have to access the ECU area....
actually a couple months at a dyno day, my AFR got richer with the SSTT.
and split second/eurobahn says they increase AFR aswell. you got the wrong info. there is a chip inside the SSTT that controls these things, but of course that is SSTT secret and they wont tell anyone.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2008, 01:19 PM   #9
e90AW335i
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOe335i View Post
and split second/eurobahn says they increase AFR aswell. you got the wrong info. there is a chip inside the SSTT that controls these things, but of course that is SSTT secret and they wont tell anyone.
LOL ....

The SSTT mounts on the TMAP sensor and adds boost by putting resitance on it and making the car think it is at a higher altitude. This car is a closed loop system, so of course if the car is misfiring/knocking the air/fuel ratios will change drastically as raw fuel goes out the tailpipe. It doesn't mean your tuned right!

YOU got the wrong info because you dont understand how the SSTT works. You need to realize that sometimes you have to work in order to get the best tune, that work might include actually having to unbolt something on your car....crazy huh.
      07-23-2008, 01:29 PM   #10
RiXst3r
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The jb3 has OEM connectors that mate up pefectly with the harness to plug and play into the ECU area.

Since we modify and read a large number of sensors (map, baro, tps, iat, solenoids, fuel pressure, o2 sensors, etc, etc.) we must place our unit in the ECU area, like other piggyback systems that control more than just boost.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2008, 02:03 PM   #11
Digital.James
Colonel
Rep
Drives: GT4, Raptor.2, Tuono 1100F

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2008, 02:06 PM   #12
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
Yes, there is a chip inside the SSTT but I have no idea what it does...

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11419
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2008, 02:09 PM   #13
e90AW335i
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes, there is a chip inside the SSTT but I have no idea what it does...
Quote:
adds boost by putting resitance on it and making the car think it is at a higher altitude. .
^, that is what that "chip" does.
      07-23-2008, 02:13 PM   #14
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 AWD M3 Comp - SMB

LOL at the guy talking about SSTT
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2008, 02:19 PM   #15
mmmotornutz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Montego 335i

Primitive may not be the right word, but more like simple. And most of the time, simple is more reliable. If one can achieve the same goal with regular analog circuitry vs. microprocessors, why not? Unfortunately w/o microprocessors, one can't datalog. At the end of the day, Vishnu and JB products are just piggy backs. It doesn't matter which route you go with, analog or digital, as long as it is able fool the ecu in adding fuel or boost and doing it reliably. Microprocessors are nothing but just a million relays in a form of miniature transistors. JB1 and JB2 might not look as cool as V1.47 and V2 but they all achieve the same goal.

Quote:
Cool!

On a separate note, I wonder if I'm in the minority here or there are a lot of others in my line of thought. I have to admit that I never even cast a glance towards JB1 or JB2, due to their "primitive" nature (not looking for debate here, this was just MHO). I was on the V2 bandwagon until I learned of V3 with PnP, and then I was sold on waiting for that. Just about that time 29.2/V81 rears it's UGLY UGLY head and then I'm driven towards Dinan. Now, even though the relationship still exists with Dinan/BMW, I don't like where it's heading (they aren't getting any more chummy from what I see) and I never loved the idea of dropping $2k for a virtual product that you just eat the cost of. V3 Doomsday was intriguing, but seeing the torque cut really leads me to believe it's a real work-around, a crutch if you will, to make it work invisibly.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2008, 02:20 PM   #16
mmmotornutz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Montego 335i

Quote:
LOL, of course they won't because if they did, a lot of customers will be mad that they spent almost $600 dollars for something that could've been made with a few 5 cent resistor.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2008, 02:38 PM   #17
RiXst3r
Rep

OK guys... no more SSTT talk.. make a new thread
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2008, 02:56 PM   #18
e90AW335i
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiXst3r View Post
OK guys... no more SSTT talk.. make a new thread
Sorry Dad....

07-23-2008, 02:57 PM   #19
WCM3
Î canŧ főcus mŷ attėntĭon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 Rubicon

How did these guys become beta testers? I think you need a tester in Pennsylvania just because of how the weather/altitude is.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2008, 03:06 PM   #20
RiXst3r
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCM3 View Post
How did these guys become beta testers? I think you need a tester in Pennsylvania just because of how the weather/altitude is.
They either are close contacts with Terry, have extra tools/test gear for scanning extra parameters, have a specific set of mods or conditions that terry wanted to test... everyone was picked over a month ago... no more seats left
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2008, 03:07 PM   #21
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCM3 View Post
+1 And one in Indiana.
      07-23-2008, 03:08 PM   #22
ezatnova
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniz View Post
does anyone have a dyno graph to show the JB3 torque advantage over V3?
Since JB3 hasn't been released, then no, no one has been able to do back to back "dyno day" with the two tunes. I was simply stating that the approximate peak torque figures provided by the manufacturers of their respective products show a substantial gap between them. Doomsday is the first I've seen to have a lower torque peak than HP. JB3 appears that it flips it's ass (Curb reference there for you Larry fans) back to where it should be on a turbo car...torque on top.
Appreciate 0