E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Question about next best mod?

07-26-2008, 05:43 PM   #1
mrpip
Rep
Drives: 2007 335 coupe

Question about next best mod?

ok,so far,performance wise,i have fitted the JB2H and BMS intake. my next plan was for downpipes but after reading some HP stats for larger intercoolers (which seem close to DP hp gains) i'm thinking this maybe the mod i should shoot for next.

i understand there's a price difference between the 2 but as i live in 90 degrees plus at this time of year,perhaps the intercooler would be kinder to the motor.

any thoughts and hopefully some feedback from those with these mods already,would be greatly appreciated.thanks in advance,

pip.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2008, 09:01 PM   #2
LYLE LUKAS
Banned
Rep
Drives: Black and Sexy

If you are looking for strictly power, then DP's are your answer, that is the next best bang for your buck next to the chip. It will help the Turbos flow and breath better.

BUT.....

The IC well def help with engine temperatures, if you are tracking your car or doing alot of 1/4 mile runs then I would choose the IC. Also DP's are def an immediate warranty killer on ur engine warranty (IC is probably also, but DP's well def push the limits of ur turbos with maybe another H pill and a full exhaust)

Also taking out another set of cats will DEF increase the noise your exhaust will make, which gained me a few tickets by drawing unnecessary attention from the cops.

But if you dont care for your warranty or the possibility of drawing more attention to yourself then def go for the DP's which will immediately increase your TQ and HP more than a IC would...........
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2008, 09:10 PM   #3
longodj
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2007 335xi  [0.00]
1974 VW Beetle  [0.00]
definitely go the IC route. I'm all for "supporting mods" before power mods.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2008, 09:14 PM   #4
ThePrinzeofcatz
Captain
Rep
Drives: e92 335i MT

right now i have downpipes and intercooler. however i got the downpipes about 4 months before i got the intercooler, my car ran fine in the hot florida weather with dp's tune, and exhaust only. both will get you decent gains and you will feel them, i went with downpipes because of the sound and they do give more gains compared to the intercooler
      07-26-2008, 10:10 PM   #5
Mid_West
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Other than the fact that the install may get messed up, I dont understand how your warranty can be voided by installing a more effective IC. After all an upgrade (which will cost way more than a stock unit) does not change any mechanical or electrical functions of the car. If anything it allows the turbos to work less to achieve the same results...providing I understand thermodynamics correctly.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2008, 10:38 PM   #6
LYLE LUKAS
Banned
Rep
Drives: Black and Sexy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mid_West View Post
Other than the fact that the install may get messed up, I dont understand how your warranty can be voided by installing a more effective IC. After all an upgrade (which will cost way more than a stock unit) does not change any mechanical or electrical functions of the car. If anything it allows the turbos to work less to achieve the same results...providing I understand thermodynamics correctly.

Any aftermarket non stock part that you put on the car will automatically void the warranty in the case a problem arising......... DP's, IC, exhaust......etc............if your dealership is a real stickler they will red flag ur car so you are noted in their system for the specific non stock parts you put in the car so that ur warranty is automatically voided for that area and possibly the entire power tran warranty..........
Appreciate 0