E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > strange issue at highway speeds....turbos or fuel pump??

08-01-2008, 04:29 PM   #1
bucktown
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i

strange issue at highway speeds....turbos or fuel pump??

so i took my car on a long road trip this past week, and at high speeds (120 kph and up) every time i hit the throttle it would stumble and choke and slowly get up to speed.

on the first leg of the trip it was only happening a little bit, and i was driving pretty hard so i wrote it off to heat soak. but on the way home i wasnt even sure i was going to make it. it almost feels like its falling on its face. full throttle or partial throttle i get the same problem. as soon as it hits boost, it stumbles. no warning lights, not bad gas.

the problem is there in the lower gears, but is much more pronounced in the higher ones. the only other symptom is the idle is a little weirder than usual, but after 10 hours straight who knows what this car is thinking.

my first thought was that the fuel pump was failing. but ive never seen a pump that goes out slowly. its always been either on or off. and no warning lights....weird. are my turbos cooked? any thoughts? thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2008, 04:47 PM   #2
rooster3.0
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

It's probably the fuel pump. Take it to the dealer so they can order one.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2008, 05:09 PM   #3
woody2223
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 black sapphire coupe JB+

Garage List
2007 335i coupe  [0.00]
When my fuel pump went it had an awful rough idle, I mean to the point if the door was open it would shake the hell out of the door. It would still run but it had the pickup of an Ford Fiesta and it sounded terrible. Def. take it in and have the stealership look at it.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2008, 04:02 PM   #4
bucktown
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i

dealership appointment made for wednesday....i kinda wish it would just throw a code so theres proof of what im describing. if i leave my car at the dealership all day and they say theres nothing wrong with it im gonna be choked...
Appreciate 0