BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > DIY Oil Change on M2c

04-21-2019, 05:20 PM   #1
atc5
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C, Bolt, 98 Type R

DIY Oil Change on M2c

7 Quarts of oil - use whatever you like.
1 Oil filter - I used this Mann filter from amazon. Came with the 2 gaskets and copper oil drain plug washer.

Put car up on ramps or jackstands.

Grab a 17mm wrench or socket - remove oil drain plug.

While oil drains, unscrew the filter canister on the top of the motor. I don't have a canister "socket" so I wrapped the canister with some towels and used a large oil filter removal wrench with teeth. I was gentle with the pressure on the canister and the towels help eliminate any marks on the canister housing.

Remove the canister

Remove the small o-ring with the tip of some scissors or a very small needle like tip tool. Replace o-ring.

Remove large o-ring on the canister itself. Again, re-use whatever tool you used to remove the small o-ring.

Remove dirty filter, slide in new filter.

Screw canister on - i used my hand to tighten it.

Back under car and replace 17mm bolt with the fresh washer on it.

Refill with 7 quarts of your favorite oil.

Clean up and drive it!

Last edited by atc5; 04-22-2019 at 02:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 07:03 AM   #2
CSBM5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Comp, 2011 M3, etc

Thanks for the reminder! I plan to do "intra-interval" oil changes on the M2C like I've always done on my cars, and I think it's very close now at 5200 miles.

I just checked the filter cap, and I'm surprised it doesn't have the standard 36mm "nut" on top. I actually have the filter removal tool in my tool chest however, and it fits perfectly...whew!
2007 E91 328i Silver, slushbox, Eibach fr/E93 M3 rear sway bars, ARC-8
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 10:02 AM   #3
ContactPatch
Major
Rep
Drives: It's Quick!

[QUOTE=atc5;24684531]7 Quarts of oil - use whatever you like.
1 Oil filter - I used this Mann filter from amazon. Came with the 2 gaskets and copper oil drain plug washer.

Put car up on ramps or jackstands.

Grab a 17mm wrench or socket - remove oil drain plug.

Could a Fumoto drain valve replace the stock drain plug? Did you need to remove any large plastic shielding to get at the drain valve. On most cars the shielding is held on by 12 or more pop/ twist fasteners?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 11:06 AM   #4
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Oil Filter Cap
Torque: 25Nm / 18.43ft-lb

S55 Oil Drain Plug
Engine Type: S55 Oil drain plug on aluminum oil sump. - Drain Plug Thread: M12x1.5 - Tightening specifications: Replace only the gasket (sealing ring) of oil drain plug. - Torque: 25Nm

* Tip: Before jacking up the car, unscrew the oil filler cap. Doing so allows air in which speeds up the oil draining.
Appreciate 4
ChrisK4449.00
CSBM52695.50
      04-22-2019, 12:24 PM   #5
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Anyone have an "expert" opinion on magnetic oil drain plugs? I had one on my n54 engine just in case.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-part...BoCd4EQAvD_BwE
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 12:34 PM   #6
NEfan508
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

Instead of going to the dealer for fluid change OR going to Al's oil barn I rather do it my self for every other change 5k miles, is the "oil extractor" a good choice?

I don't have a garage anymore, I'd like to do it my self instead of grease monkeys or waiting at a proper bmw service place

For $50-$100 a cheap extractor will pay for it self in a year or so and save me time not making appointments

Draining properly or use of a extraction tool? And what about the drain plug do I need to replace anyway after every change or leave it when the 10k mile free change is done at the dealer
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 12:43 PM   #7
3tekcorps
Major
Rep
Drives: In Gestation

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEfan508 View Post
Instead of going to the dealer for fluid change OR going to Al's oil barn I rather do it my self for every other change 5k miles, is the "oil extractor" a good choice?

I don't have a garage anymore, I'd like to do it my self instead of grease monkeys or waiting at a proper bmw service place

For $50-$100 a cheap extractor will pay for it self in a year or so and save me time not making appointments

Draining properly or use of a extraction tool? And what about the drain plug do I need to replace anyway after every change or leave it when the 10k mile free change is done at the dealer
Where's the extractor insert on an engine without a dipstick?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 01:05 PM   #8
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:

I let my oil drain until all the old stuff is gone. I wonder how much of the old oil is still in the engine when using an oil extractor.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 01:11 PM   #9
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
I let my oil drain until all the old stuff is gone. I wonder how much of the old oil is still in the engine when using an oil extractor.
+1

Even if it's not that much the stuff in the bottom is the thick sludge you want to drain out. Old school oil change is still the best.
Appreciate 1
NEfan5082658.50
      04-22-2019, 01:14 PM   #10
NEfan508
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
Quote:

Likely some? is the amount of (leftover) similar to having it drained?

Forum please help, extractor sound to good to be true, eliminating ramps, going under the car (risk LIFE) and time wasted going to Service appointments

"Joe" the fast oil change guy without appointment does a decent job but he might get grease/dirt inside the car and or on the car bumper/hood from leaning in

Happens all the time, I don't care on my work trucks

Edit: TAG, makes a good point, what I was thinking
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 01:28 PM   #11
atc5
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C, Bolt, 98 Type R

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContactPatch View Post

Could a Fumoto drain valve replace the stock drain plug? Did you need to remove any large plastic shielding to get at the drain valve. On most cars the shielding is held on by 12 or more pop/ twist fasteners?

I'm sure you can use the fumoto. That said, the drain bolt is 100% unobstructed. No panels, no shields, just right there smack dab in the middle.

Couldn't believe how nicely available the drain plug is.

Re: questions about extractor - yea without a dipstick guess that's not really an option!
Appreciate 1
      04-22-2019, 01:49 PM   #12
newnmpr0ved
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 Honda Civic Si, 17 BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3tekcorps View Post
Quote:

Where's the extractor insert on an engine without a dipstick?
The extractor tubes are inserted into the hole where the dip stick goes. It takes a little longer but i think its worth it especially if you don't want to go under the car.

Edit: I use it on a Mercedes Benz, totally forgot this car doesn't have a dipstick.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 01:55 PM   #13
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by atc5 View Post
I'm sure you can use the fumoto. That said, the drain bolt is 100% unobstructed. No panels, no shields, just right there smack dab in the middle.

Couldn't believe how nicely available the drain plug is.

Re: questions about extractor - yea without a dipstick guess that's not really an option!
Exactly, the drain plug is really easy to find and the oil filter housing is right on top of the engine. I have done oil changes on a lot of different cars and this one has to be the easiest I've ever done.

Last edited by AlpsRider; 04-23-2019 at 01:21 AM..
Appreciate 1
atc556.50
      04-22-2019, 01:55 PM   #14
Kankles
Rear Admiral
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bavarian Milk Wagon

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Couple of Tips (at least things I've always done and are considered good practices):

1. put thin layer of oil (new), with your finger, on the larger, filter housing O-ring, after installing the ring and just prior to screwing it back in. I don't think this is mandatory but it helps create a better seal.

2. Pour a bit of new oil into the new filter while it's in the housing, just before installing. Enough oil to soak the filter if possible. Also not mandatory but from my understanding, this helps minimize time internals are "ran dry" and "primes" the oil filter. Yes, it's hard to do this without spilling a bit of oil, but-a rag.
Appreciate 2
      04-22-2019, 02:05 PM   #15
codean
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330xi

As some people have mentioned, there isn’t a dip stick tube to use as a way to access the lower section of the oil pan. So using an oil extraction device isn’t an option.

To the person asking how much oil is still left stuck in the oil pan after letting it drain, it’s less than a 1/4 - 1/3 of a qt.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 03:31 PM   #16
Inuyasha
“One finds limits by pushing them”
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekidM2C View Post
Anyone have an "expert" opinion on magnetic oil drain plugs? I had one on my n54 engine just in case.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-part...BoCd4EQAvD_BwE
I’m no expert but I don't see why you shouldn't use one.
Appreciate 1
      04-22-2019, 03:51 PM   #17
NEfan508
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Since my dealer "let" a employee joyride my car Dunkin Donuts, lunch and TO GAS up my car as a curtesy I'm less likely leaving my car @ dealers never mind oil change shops

I could see some bull shit response (just checking the car for safety)

again, if it was my work truck or regular grocery getter I wouldn't care

I rather do the simple maintenance my self limiting grease monkeys access

Note: firmly told dealer not to drive the car off the lot, don't wash it don't put gas in it but they couldn't handle my request

No need to prep the car, plates was mailed in and inspection sticker I was handling (out of state) no reason to drive other than a 15 mile joy ride (bull shit) with a rock chip THE cherry on top
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 05:51 PM   #18
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Since my dealer "let" a employee joyride my car Dunkin Donuts, lunch and TO GAS up my car as a curtesy I'm less likely leaving my car @ dealers never mind oil change shops

I could see some bull shit response (just checking the car for safety)

again, if it was my work truck or regular grocery getter I wouldn't care

I rather do the simple maintenance my self limiting grease monkeys access

Note: firmly told dealer not to drive the car off the lot, don't wash it don't put gas in it but they couldn't handle my request

No need to prep the car, plates was mailed in and inspection sticker I was handling (out of state) no reason to drive other than a 15 mile joy ride (bull shit) with a rock chip THE cherry on top
Makes sense. We added a dashcam and every time we drop off the car I point it out to the SA and service tech who takes my car and also have a sign hanging from my rearview that says "smile you're on camera". Oddly, we have never had our car messed with when rewatching the footage.....
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 1
cptobvious2531.50
      04-25-2019, 03:24 PM   #19
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Horse Drawn Carriage

Yes, the oil extractor is not an option on these cars. BMW's used to have 2 dipsticks; now they just have 1
Appreciate 1
      05-30-2020, 04:11 AM   #20
sharpmoney
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: NA

anyone try the motul LL01FE for their 5k in between changes?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 04:16 AM   #21
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpmoney View Post
anyone try the motul LL01FE for their 5k in between changes?
I saw that oil recently released but couldn't find any technical sheets on the oil from the manufacturer. Now Motul is typical highly regarded but it just struck me as odd that we can't find any technical specs like Pennzoil and a few other companies have.

The price point for it currently is amazing though
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 08:26 AM   #22
sharpmoney
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by nioh_lbbm2 View Post
I saw that oil recently released but couldn't find any technical sheets on the oil from the manufacturer. Now Motul is typical highly regarded but it just struck me as odd that's e can find any technical specs like Pennzoil and a few other companies have.

The price point for it currently is amazing though

looks like only 5w 30 for the LL01 FE application.
Appreciate 0