05-31-2019, 01:56 PM   #1
dbs600
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 750LXi Individual

Headache / Nauseous / Foggy / Hazy / Sick Feeling While Driving

Hello everyone,

Hope all is well.

My 2011 750 is in service at the dealer.

In 8 years of ownership, I’ve had nearly every loaner imaginable - 3, 4, 5, F02 7 (once), X3, X4, X5, X6 - each spanning several generations, never having an issue.

When the G12 7 arrived, I was given the opportunity to drive it for a weekend, so I picked one up, but 15 minutes down the road, I decided to return it, as it gave me a headache, making me nauseous. It was a foggy / hazy / sick feeling in my head, which subsided 10 minutes or so after getting out of the car.

I’m now in a G05 X5 loaner (600 miles on the clock) and experiencing the same, but not as acutely / severely, yet the general uncomfortable feeling is there, although ‘muted’ / not as pronounced.

No noticeable ‘new car smell’, fumes or smoke. Nevertheless, I’ve been driving with the windows down, to air out the car. I’ve turned off all active driver assist features. I’ve turned off in-car WiFi. The windshield does not appear to be distorted.

Anyone know what side of the car the battery cable runs down?

Only commonality I’m seeing is that both have been G series platforms.

Dealer can put me in another loaner, no problem, but I’m wondering if anyone else is experiencing similar with your G05 X5?

Not new to driving new loaners, so it’s not ‘off-gassing’ of the interior materials.

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2019, 02:02 PM   #2
X5_CC
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5 40i

Very odd. I have not experienced any issues like you describe.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2019, 02:50 PM   #3
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Did both cars have air suspension?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2019, 02:54 PM   #4
tastes jigga
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 750i xDrive

Garage List
My father has severe chemical sensitivity problems and has always felt uncomfortable in my [previous] M4, X3 and current 7 series (all 2018 and later). He never had any issues with my 2002, 2012 or 2014 BMW model years.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2019, 03:19 PM   #5
salvatorexiang
Rep
Drives: G05 40i

Maybe because of the high pitch noise came from the A/C console ?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2019, 03:29 PM   #6
Ilyam5
Major
Rep
Drives: 06 M3

It might be The merino leather - they cure it with smth strong.
When parked G05 and new 7 series have strong "new car smell" wich i believe is leather dies they use.
I have no issues with it but people notice that the seats still smell new after 4K miles and 5 months of heavy use (bikes, skies, kids, snow).

My wife's m340 has Dakota black leather and it does not smell.
Try new 3 series - it is also G platform, has the same electronics but no merino leather.
If you determine it is not electronics, you can always order the car with sensatech.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2019, 03:30 PM   #7
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep
Drives: x5 40i 2019

Garage List
Sounds like Co2. Be careful. Drive with the windows open. It can make you pass out, and -oh yeah, die.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2019, 04:06 PM   #8
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Thanks everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnoop View Post
Did both cars have air suspension?
My 2011 7 does and certain the 2016 7 did, though the G05 X5 I'm in is bone-stock; not sure whether or not it has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastes jigga View Post
My father has severe chemical sensitivity problems and has always felt uncomfortable in my [previous] M4, X3 and current 7 series (all 2018 and later). He never had any issues with my 2002, 2012 or 2014 BMW model years.
Interesting; line of demarcation seems to be between 2015/2016+.

Quote:
Originally Posted by salvatorexiang View Post
Maybe because of the high pitch noise came from the A/C console ?
Haven't heard any high pitch noise, which I am sensitive to - mere annoyance - not that they make me sick - but if high enough, I suppose I wouldn't hear same anyway.

Is this an issue the G05 you're aware of?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilyam5 View Post
Try new 3 series - it is also G platform, has the same electronics but no merino leather. If you determine it is not electronics, you can always order the car with sensatech.
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natahoa View Post
Sounds like Co2. Be careful. Drive with the windows open. It can make you pass out, and -oh yeah, die.
Yes, I've been doing so, and to clarify, I've only put on about 60 miles thus far; was given to me with the 600 mentioned.

If still bothering me by Monday, which I suspect it will, I'll swap out loaners.

Unfortunately, F15's are no longer available. How ironic, I'm in want of an older loaner, not the newest with no miles. :|
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2019, 05:20 PM   #9
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Remember the scandal with Ford SUVs that were outfitted for police? I can’t recall if it was Co2 or something else, but some modification they had made was allowing exhaust to get into the cabin. It was making a lot of cops sick. Might be worth looking into to see if something similar is going on with new design BMWs.

If your dad is super sensitive, you probably are also. Be sure the cars you are using don’t have the BMW “air fresheners” in them. They use fragrances Cartridges, and many fragrances are highly toxic. I can’t stand them but I use essential oils and they don’t bother me, because they are “real” bio products and not some chemical soup of God knows what.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2019, 07:28 PM   #10
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Remember the scandal with Ford SUVs that were outfitted for police? I can’t recall if it was Co2 or something else, but some modification they had made was allowing exhaust to get into the cabin. It was making a lot of cops sick. Might be worth looking into to see if something similar is going on with new design BMWs.

If your dad is super sensitive, you probably are also. Be sure the cars you are using don’t have the BMW “air fresheners” in them. They use fragrances Cartridges, and many fragrances are highly toxic. I can’t stand them but I use essential oils and they don’t bother me, because they are “real” bio products and not some chemical soup of God knows what.
Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 04:38 PM   #11
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Thanks everyone; I appreciate it.

I turned-off Bluetooth and believe I'm feeling better since doing so.

Not sure I want to turn it back on to see whether or not it was causing same at this time.

May do so when on my way back to the dealer to turn-in the loaner.

Strange because I've used Bluetooth in cars since 2004.

Thanks again and will keep everyone posted.

My best.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 04:59 PM   #12
russelldav
456bhp for breakfast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs600 View Post
Thanks everyone; I appreciate it.

I turned-off Bluetooth and believe I'm feeling better since doing so.

Not sure I want to turn it back on to see whether or not it was causing same at this time.

May do so when on my way back to the dealer to turn-in the loaner.

Strange because I've used Bluetooth in cars since 2004.

Thanks again and will keep everyone posted.

My best.
RF energy at the frequency band BT operates at is everywhere you can't get away from it.
Appreciate 2
Tenac4538.50
kleo12.00
      06-11-2019, 05:01 PM   #13
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

OP; have you seen a Dr. yet? To me that is nothing to be playing around with, sounds like what hit my uncle years ago with pressure on the brain.
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 07:08 PM   #14
Tlon
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5

Just curious, but is the heads up display unique to the cars that are making you sick? If so, have you tried turning off the heads up display? I find the HUD distracting to my eye the point of making me a bit car sick at times. Anyway, just a thought.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 08:31 PM   #15
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep

Garage List
It could be several things, including the chemicals used in the leather or other parts of the car. Hopefully it’s not cO2; which would be terribly dangerous. Lots of people have sensitivities to chemicals, and we are exposed to new ones all the time.

You could try taking an antihistamine to see if it is an allergy. Never use anything scented in your car, like air fresheners or scented cleaners. Being loaners, I doubt this is the case, but maybe stuff they use to clean loaners is something very toxic. Many cleaners are. That might explain why two loaners have bothered you.

But as others said, don’t take it too lightly. So so frustrating. I feel for you.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 08:36 PM   #16
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Also, EMF could make you sick. Maybe the newer cars have higher EMF because of all the gadgets and com devices. It’s not unusual for people to believe they have a haunting because the EMF is out of control in some part of their house. It can cause hallucinations and other illnesses.

As with most things, sensitivity to EMF varies a lot. Might be worth buying an EMF meter and see if places with high EMF affect you. It would be a very good thing to know.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 08:55 PM   #17
gpitts
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G07 X7 40i

Quote:
It could be several things, including the chemicals used in the leather or other parts of the car. Hopefully it's not cO2; which would be terribly dangerous. Lots of people have sensitivities to chemicals, and we are exposed to new ones all the time.

You could try taking an antihistamine to see if it is an allergy. Never use anything scented in your car, like air fresheners or scented cleaners. Being loaners, I doubt this is the case, but maybe stuff they use to clean loaners is something very toxic. Many cleaners are. That might explain why two loaners have bothered you.

But as others said, don't take it too lightly. So so frustrating. I feel for you.
I believe you mean CO, or carbon monoxide. CO can be lethal in relatively small concentrations.
      06-11-2019, 08:59 PM   #18
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpitts View Post
I believe you mean CO, or carbon monoxide. CO can be lethal in relatively small concentrations.
I stand corrected. Either way, it’s bad if it is off-gassing in something as confined as a car.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 09:25 PM   #19
gpitts
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I stand corrected. Either way, it’s bad if it is off-gassing in something as confined as a car.
New car smell is off-gassing! 😎

Plastics off-gas. Leather dyes off-gas. Every car exhibits this "feature". As does new furniture in the home, new carpet, fresh paint, etc. It's virtually inescapable. 🤷*♂️
      06-12-2019, 09:34 PM   #20
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by russelldav View Post
RF energy at the frequency band BT operates at is everywhere you can't get away from it.
Maybe proximity to transmitter the problem? Or is there a new frequency it's operating on?

Is there any technical info on F15 vs. G05 when it comes to BT wiring, etc.?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenac View Post
OP; have you seen a Dr. yet? To me that is nothing to be playing around with, sounds like what hit my uncle years ago with pressure on the brain.
Thank you, but not necessary; was only happening when in the car, and my wife was experiencing same as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlon View Post
Just curious, but is the heads up display unique to the cars that are making you sick? If so, have you tried turning off the heads up display? I find the HUD distracting to my eye the point of making me a bit car sick at times. Anyway, just a thought.
Don't use HUD, as I find same distracting. Thank you though.

Quote:
It could be several things, including the chemicals used in the leather or other parts of the car. Hopefully it’s not cO2; which would be terribly dangerous. Lots of people have sensitivities to chemicals, and we are exposed to new ones all the time.

But as others said, don’t take it too lightly. So so frustrating. I feel for you.
Thank you; yes, very conscientious of chemicals and unnatural products in general. Never used air freshener anywhere, yet my 2011 750 still smells new; key is a good amount of time driving with windows down and always having a newspaper in same. I don't use any leather cleaner / moisturizer either.

I've been in so many loaners over the years, but it's only been these two that have bothered me, both being 'G' platform BMW's.

Quote:
Also, EMF could make you sick. Maybe the newer cars have higher EMF because of all the gadgets and com devices. It’s not unusual for people to believe they have a haunting because the EMF is out of control in some part of their house. It can cause hallucinations and other illnesses.

As with most things, sensitivity to EMF varies a lot. Might be worth buying an EMF meter and see if places with high EMF affect you. It would be a very good thing to know.
I believe you're correct, which is why my first thought was to turn off most all of the features, but I left Bluetooth on, as I didn't think same could be the culprit, as my car has same. Nevertheless, I ultimately turned it off and things seem okay now.

Quote:
New car smell is off-gassing! ��

Plastics off-gas. Leather dyes off-gas. Every car exhibits this "feature". As does new furniture in the home, new carpet, fresh paint, etc. It's virtually inescapable. ��*♂️
Thanks, but car had 600 miles on it when I got it (may or may not be sufficient enough to completely off-gas I suppose), and I had been driving with the windows down / sunroof open.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 11:07 PM   #21
gpitts
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs600 View Post
Maybe proximity to transmitter the problem? Or is there a new frequency it's operating on?

Is there any technical info on F15 vs. G05 when it comes to BT wiring, etc.?
I have no idea how to help from here other than to offer that Bluetooth operates on the very common 2.4 GHz portion of the frequency spectrum. It is designed to be a low-energy (not to be confused with Bluetooth LE) short-range interconnect - within 10 meters - which means you're looking at 2.5 milliwatts (0.0025 Watts). By comparison, a home WiFi router transmits at approximately 100 milliwatts (0.1 Watt). If Bluetooth were your problem, I suspect you'd have serious issues in a home with WiFi.
      06-13-2019, 05:52 AM   #22
sward
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: i7 xDrive60

Garage List
2023 BMW i7  [0.00]
I did feel a slight headache the first 2 days, then it went away. I did smell a slight burning smell. My initial thought was that the heat from the engine was impacting some rubber gaskets. But I don't really know. M50d
i7 xDrive60 -23 Sold: iX -22, X5MC -20 (F95), X5M50d -19 (G05), X5M50d -17 (F15), X5M50d -14 (F15), 116d -13 (F20), X5 3.0D -10 (E70), M3 -10 (E93), 320DX -10 (E91), 320D -08 (E91), X3 30D -07 (E83), 335 -07 (E92), 325 -05 (E90), 320 -02 (E46), 318 -00 (E46), 320 -93 (E36), 318 -89 (E30)
Appreciate 0