07-08-2019, 12:30 PM   #1
micmitch
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5, 2018 Accord

X5 Perf Center Delivery Questions

All:

My wife and I are excited to be taking delivery of our X5 at BMW in Spartanburg. We've never done this before - I have a couple of questions:

- Any questions that we should make sure we ask? I understand the experience is pretty comprehensive - but maybe someone has a "I wish I had asked ____" when they got home.

- We are considering driving to the Blue Ridge Parkway (Asheville or further south) and driving to Boone then home (in NC) the next day. Any recommendations on places to stay overnight after delivery?

Thanks

We chose the Dark Graphite Metallic w/ Executive Package, plus all the tech stuff.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 07:13 PM   #2
Islandbound
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 MSport

We did the PCD a few years ago & will do it again this fall. It was a great experience! We didn't have any questions as the BMW reps were thorough & the trip was very organized. The one thing we regretted was not extending our stay in Greenville. We left the afternoon after taking delivery. It was a very long day & we were exhausted. This fall, we plan to stay an extra night in Greenville & leave for the mountains the next morning after a night's rest. Congratulations on your order. You will definitely enjoy the day.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2019, 02:03 PM   #3
RowanBuds
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 3 pedal 718, G05, MkVII GTI

Islandbound Was the regret not spending another night in Greenville due to feeling there was a lot you missed there? If so, what were the big things that you missed out on? And how far did you drive after leaving SC day-of delivery?

I'm trying to coordinate a PCD right now if my schedule allows for it. If I can do it, I'm planning to leave SC day-of and drive 1.5 hours, then dinner stop, then another 1.5 hours - do you not recommend this?

It'll be my first time doing a PCD, but I have taken a road trip through most of the blue ridge while on a NY>Asheville>Atlanta>Biloxi>Nola and return through Asheville itinerary.

The roads are just superb in the Blue Ridge region. Check out the Pisgah Inn as one hotel option with a gorgeous mountain setting. It's 90 minutes or so driving from Perf. Center.

Great roads in every direction - granted, I don't know that is the top-level priority for anyone taking an X5 delivery; nonetheless the scenery is beautiful especially in the fall.

In doing my prior route planning the goal was to get re-acquainted with my F80 which I just hadn't been driving enough.

Le Mans Blue F80 - Munich 5-22-2015 / US 7-7-2015 / SOLD 9-17-2022
ED Recap
Arctic Grey G05 - Spartanburg 8-29-2019
X5 PCD Recap

Last edited by RowanBuds; 07-13-2019 at 02:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2019, 11:18 PM   #4
RNorb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2024 X1 28i

I'm planning to do a PDC pickup in October and wondering at what point in to process I will need to turn over my trade in to the dealer. Can it be done just a few days before leaving for the PDC?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 05:54 AM   #5
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

My dealer told me that you show up at your dealer 7-10 days before your PCD date. Sign all the paperwork, etc then. So you're essentially buying the car then. I imagine that's when you turn over your trade in or lease. However that leaves you without a car for a week. I'm guessing most dealers will let you keep the lease or trade in for a week with a limit on how many miles you can put on it.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 06:44 PM   #6
Islandbound
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowanBuds View Post
Islandbound Was the regret not spending another night in Greenville due to feeling there was a lot you missed there? If so, what were the big things that you missed out on? And how far did you drive after leaving SC day-of delivery?

I'm trying to coordinate a PCD right now if my schedule allows for it. If I can do it, I'm planning to leave SC day-of and drive 1.5 hours, then dinner stop, then another 1.5 hours - do you not recommend this?

It'll be my first time doing a PCD, but I have taken a road trip through most of the blue ridge while on a NY>Asheville>Atlanta>Biloxi>Nola and return through Asheville itinerary.

The roads are just superb in the Blue Ridge region. Check out the Pisgah Inn as one hotel option with a gorgeous mountain setting. It's 90 minutes or so driving from Perf. Center.

Great roads in every direction - granted, I don't know that is the top-level priority for anyone taking an X5 delivery; nonetheless the scenery is beautiful especially in the fall.

In doing my prior route planning the goal was to get re-acquainted with my F80 which I just hadn't been driving enough.

RowanBuds, sorry for the delayed response. Greenville is a nice town and we enjoyed our visit. If you fly...some others in our PCD group said BMW offered a courtesy shuttle and took them downtown. However, it was a few years ago, so I'm not sure if they still do it. We drove a rental car, arrived early, and spent the day exploring the downtown area. Dinner and drinks were provided at the hotel. After the PCD, we picked up our luggage from the hotel, drove four hours, and stopped for dinner along the way. After being stuck in traffic, it added about 5 1/2 - 6 hours to our day. It was too much. We regretted it because it was a long, exciting day and we were exhausted. Being late June, it was also very hot. We packed a lot into two days. The next time we do the PCD, we will get more rest the night before and stay the night either in the same hotel or nearby. Good luck with your planning.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 09:16 AM   #7
BMWPenPen
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 40i

We live in the Charlotte area and frequent Asheville/Greenville a lot. Greenville is a lovely little city. If you want a Southern city experience, I would stay directly downtown by the waterfalls in Greenville. If you prefer a lower temperature and mountain experience, I would stay at Gideon Ridge Inn in Bowling Rock. It's a quaint inn with great views and most importantly, food! The chef is superb! My husband and I head there when we just need a weekend away from the kids & dogs! If you want more of a tourist experience, I would just stay at Biltmore. It's such a unique property with lots of history and things to do. Enjoy! I hope to do PCD spring/summer 2020!
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2019, 09:58 AM   #8
micmitch
Private
United_States
Rep

We picked our X5 up on Monday and the Performance Center. We did stay an extra day at the Marriott, and we are glad we did - thanks for the recommendation. We stayed at the Pisgah Inn on Tuesday, and the Foundry in Asheville on Wednesday. Loved them both. A side note - filled the X5 up in Asheville on Thursday, drove the Blue Ridge Parkway to Boone, then back to Charlotte - 25MPG when we arrived home - wow.

Side note, there is currently road construction on the BRP, you will get the shiny new car dusty.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2019, 01:28 PM   #9
RowanBuds
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by micmitch View Post
We picked our X5 up on Monday and the Performance Center. We did stay an extra day at the Marriott, and we are glad we did - thanks for the recommendation. We stayed at the Pisgah Inn on Tuesday, and the Foundry in Asheville on Wednesday. Loved them both. A side note - filled the X5 up in Asheville on Thursday, drove the Blue Ridge Parkway to Boone, then back to Charlotte - 25MPG when we arrived home - wow.

Side note, there is currently road construction on the BRP, you will get the shiny new car dusty.
Very happy to hear you had a good trip. It's sure a beautiful region.
Any Asheville tips to share, I'll be there for two nights after I pick mine up?

ED Recap
X5 PCD Recap
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 01:23 PM   #10
micmitch
Private
United_States
Rep

@[RowanBuds] If you like beer, breweries are king

New Belgium particularly.

We love the Blue Ridge Parkway, we spent most of our time there.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 08:26 PM   #11
RowanBuds
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by micmitch View Post
@[RowanBuds] If you like beer, breweries are king

New Belgium particularly.

We love the Blue Ridge Parkway, we spent most of our time there.
I've had a slight shift in my accompaniment for this trip - the partner in crime will not be a beer/alcohol person, but a driving and BBQ person.

I'm all of the above - but this is a trip for a pair of longtime great friends, so it'll be activities for both of us.

Going to be doing 2 barbecue stops each day, driving from Perf. Ctr. towards Asheville the day of. From there, another drive through Lexington and to VIR for a partial day of spectating with the local PCA club. The next will be visiting Appomatox courthouse and bee-lining it for home. Looking forward to this impromptu getaway very much.

Thanks, hope the car's been treating you well!

ED Recap
X5 PCD Recap
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 09:33 AM   #12
SCA
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Multiple BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowanBuds View Post
I've had a slight shift in my accompaniment for this trip - the partner in crime will not be a beer/alcohol person, but a driving and BBQ person.

I'm all of the above - but this is a trip for a pair of longtime great friends, so it'll be activities for both of us.

Going to be doing 2 barbecue stops each day, driving from Perf. Ctr. towards Asheville the day of. From there, another drive through Lexington and to VIR for a partial day of spectating with the local PCA club. The next will be visiting Appomatox courthouse and bee-lining it for home. Looking forward to this impromptu getaway very much.

Thanks, hope the car's been treating you well!
Try 12 Bones in Asheville and Blue Door BBQ in Lexington (very good).
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 02:28 PM   #13
RowanBuds
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post
Try 12 Bones in Asheville and Blue Door BBQ in Lexington (very good).
Thanks! I checked out 12 bones last time in Aville, will be trying Buxton Hall this time. Will try to make another stop or 2 in Lexington as well (Blue Door, and Bar-BQ Center have now both been recommended)

For any Que fanatics, here's the hopeful hitlist:

Grandaddys BBQ and Country Store (Gaffney, SC)
Red Bridges BBQ Lodge (Shelby, NC)
Buxton Hall (Asheville, NC)
Haywood Smokehouse (Waynesville, NC)
Circle M BBQW (Liberty, SC)
Luella's BBQ (South Asheville, NC)
The Smokin' Pig (Clemson, SC)
Little Switzerland Inn (Little Switzerland, NC)
Lexington #1 BBQ (Lexington, NC)
ZZQ (Richmond, VA)

Ideally we will visit 7 or 8 of the 10. Anything less than 6 will be a failure

ED Recap
X5 PCD Recap

Last edited by RowanBuds; 08-27-2019 at 06:45 PM..
Appreciate 0