BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

EXXEL Distributions

08-15-2008, 01:00 PM   #1
Mr.AK
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 e92

Fox RED care

Anybody use Zaino Z-9, Zaino Z-10 on the FOX RED leather? I heard that the products tend to stain the leather a darker color sometimes. That would be a NO-NO in my book. I would rather use a damp microfiber to care for the seats. Feedback appreciated?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2008, 05:22 PM   #2
dunkarooos
Rep
Drives: e92 M3, Hummer H2, BMWz3

I've used zaino z9 & z10 several times on mine and didn't stain or discolor the leather...never use just water to clean and condition leather
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2008, 06:38 PM   #3
Mr.AK
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Does the Zaino smell affect the new car smell?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2008, 11:32 PM   #4
Bdez
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Jerez & Fox & X5 3.0d

I gave my FR interior a good going over with Z9 and Z10 – no discoloration issues at all – in fact it lifted the look quite a bit to me – made it look a bit more “plush” and less of that flat mat look. I think it does mask the new car smell a bit as the Z9 treatment is a bit different smell to new car smell. Having said that several mates who have inspected the car remarked that they loved the new car smell so perhaps the Zaino gives a new car like smell anyway. Depends on your preference I think.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2008, 12:19 PM   #5
Mr.AK
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Well my objective is to protect the seats from the sun UV, not clean them b/c they don't need it. Which product messes with the smell the most, the Zaino cleaner or the Zaino conditioner or both. I'm thinking about just using the leather in the bottle for a long road trip im about to take but the idea of messing with the new car smell is not appealing.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2008, 12:24 PM   #6
dunkarooos
Rep
Drives: e92 M3, Hummer H2, BMWz3

Chemical Guy's Leather cleaner and conditioner works just as well as Zaino and does not tamper with the new car scent. The solution smells in the bottle and during application but disappears within minutes. Or I recommend Zymol's leather cleaner and conditioner.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2008, 08:29 PM   #7
sfbimmer13
Original Bavarian Heritage
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo View Post
Guys, the leather is treated with so many chemicals especially for UV... and if I'm not mistaken, even BMW says that using lotions is overkill since it can't even absorb through the chem treatments. I'm all for no lotion. I think people over do it.
+1 - lotions and conditioners are the death of any car leather - talk to a real leather professional and they will tell you. What you can and should do is clean the leather with a special very mild cleaner, such as Leather Master. You can apply a leather protectant, not a conditioner, after.

If you condition your leather all of the oils, collagen, or whatever other greasy stuff is in there, will over-saturate your leather with all that stuff and it looses its durability in the long run...the next comment will probably get me killed: The worst stuff is Leatherique and Lexol - a lot of marketing hype and yes it does soften your leather, but will destroy it in the long run...
      08-18-2008, 07:36 AM   #8
Mr.AK
Second Lieutenant
Rep

If these claims of damage are true, why would BMW recommend "treating the leather twice a year using leather lotion" to "prevent contaminants form attacking the leather's protective layer."
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2008, 08:38 AM   #9
quackman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 M3 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.AK View Post
If these claims of damage are true, why would BMW recommend "treating the leather twice a year using leather lotion" to "prevent contaminants form attacking the leather's protective layer."
As well as selling their own products for such treatments.
      08-18-2008, 10:27 AM   #10
sfbimmer13
Original Bavarian Heritage
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.AK View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by quackman View Post
As well as selling their own products for such treatments.
what BMW referring to and selling is AFAIK not a conditioner, but what I referred to as protectant...I am not trying to split hairs, but matter of fact is that most leather conditioners have more ingredients that harm the leather than do it any good - leather is not like living skin, so all you need to do is clean it and protect it...