BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-10-2019, 09:20 PM   #1
4g4me
Rep
Drives: 2024 G60 i5 M60

A/C Smell...

Hello all, I have had my 2019 X5 40i since late October last year, and have only recently in the last few months noticed an odd musty smell for the first few minutes that the A/C runs.

I did a little research and found that this may be typical of an older BMW where mold or mildew forms on the evaporator core, and found several videos of folks showing how to address this on there 5-8 year old BMW. I was not expecting this to happen so soon for mine.

I notice the smell when the a/c first starts, and also after it has been on for a while and the system seems to cycle or meet its "auto" temperature. The smell is not terrible, but I make a face everytime and fear that it may be getting worse.

Anyone else have a smell in their G05? Any suggestions or recommendations?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2019, 09:26 PM   #2
AustinV
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40i (2019)

I haven’t had my G05 long enough (only couple weeks) and I’m very happy with my AC but I’d deal with this issue under warranty. None of my many previous cars from few to 10 + years old of various brands had any AC smell. Neither of them were BMW-s though I just know it’s not normal.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2019, 09:28 PM   #3
thomas_Rp
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 G05; 535 F10

I have started to notice this on my G05. I had the same issue on my F10 but was never able to fix it even after multiple visits to the dealership. They claim to have done a full cleaning as well as replace the carbon filters.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2019, 09:30 PM   #4
X5_CC
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5 40i

Oh boy. I had this issue on my old Audi and I never was able to get it to go away permanently. I certainly hope this doesn't become a widespread issue on the G05
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2019, 09:41 PM   #5
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
I don't think it's a model specific issue. I have this exact same issue on my infiniti and have never been able to fix it permanently. I'll spray the vents which fixes it temporarily, but it always comes back. The dealer hasn't been much help either. Not sure why some cars have this happen.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2019, 11:00 PM   #6
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Same issue on my ML350.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2019, 08:57 AM   #7
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4g4me View Post
Hello all, I have had my 2019 X5 40i since late October last year, and have only recently in the last few months noticed an odd musty smell for the first few minutes that the A/C runs.

I did a little research and found that this may be typical of an older BMW where mold or mildew forms on the evaporator core, and found several videos of folks showing how to address this on there 5-8 year old BMW. I was not expecting this to happen so soon for mine.

I notice the smell when the a/c first starts, and also after it has been on for a while and the system seems to cycle or meet its "auto" temperature. The smell is not terrible, but I make a face everytime and fear that it may be getting worse.

Anyone else have a smell in their G05? Any suggestions or recommendations?
The only time I have smelled the musty odor an any of my BMW's is after I have had the A/C on for a while and then turn it off but leave the fan running. It will give off that smell for maybe a few minutes then it goes away. Same goes for all the other cars I've owned as well.

Have you verified that your compressor is not turning off on when you notice the smell. I know you said you notice it when it first starts up, I just wonder if the compressor turns on just long enough to make the lines/evap cold and then shuts off without any indication.

Have you gone into your iDrive settings and verified that you have the A/C set for max cooling? I don't believe its set that way by default.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2019, 09:10 AM   #8
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

This is easy to prevent if the smell (bacteria & mold) hasn't started yet...or if you kill it and use a feature BMW includes (or used to include) in the HVAC system.

If you're BMW has the parked-ventilation feature...if you use it when you've parked your BMW after running the AC on a very hot/humid day and you've parked the vehicle in a location that is dark and doesn't have air circulation (like your garage).

When you park in a dark location with no or limited air circulation, this is a prime environment for the growth of bacteria and mold on the condenser and your AC system that is still wet with condensate. Thus once the bacteria and mold starts to grow...you'll get that funky AC smell upon start up. This is NOT just a BMW thing...but any car were the same environment is prime for the growth of bacteria and mold.

I have used this feature on every BMW that I've owned that had it (my e32/e34/e38/e39/e53/f06)...and it does help dry things out when I pull into the garage after driving around with the AC running. I even programmed one of the eight preset buttons on my f06's CIC iDrive to take me directly to the CLIMATE page in so that it is easy to activate it once I pull into the garage.

If anyone is unfamiliar with this feature...it will run the HVAC blower for up to 30 minutes (with the engine NOT running). You can also program up to two different "timed" parked-ventilation...like if you want to reduce the heat build up when you get off work. You can set a timed event to turn on the HVAC blower prior to your leaving work. It doesn't turn on the AC, but it will circulate ambient air into the cabin which is cooler than the built up air temp from the car sitting in the sun. So instead of the car's interior being 120° F...the blower will turn on and blow ambient air (what ever that is) into the cabin...it would be like rolling the windows down prior to you coming back to the car.
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 08-11-2019 at 09:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2019, 09:39 AM   #9
4g4me
Rep

Interesting, I dont remember seeing this option in my menu, but I can surely check.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2019, 09:50 AM   #10
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Interesting, I dont remember seeing this option in my menu, but I can surely check.
Also check your owner manual...it may help guide you to finding its location in your iDrive iteration. It will probably be found under CLIMATE control settings. Or at least let you know if it is still available as a feature.

EDIT: I just googled for a G05 owners manual (PDF) and it appears the G05 X5 does have this feature (instructions started on page 278 of the PDF version). But it is now accessible multiple ways. You can access the set-up for this feature using the:
  1. MENU/AC button
  2. iDrive (Settings/Climate/Pre-Ventilation) screens
  3. Display Key

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 08-11-2019 at 10:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2019, 11:22 AM   #11
4g4me
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Also check your owner manual...it may help guide you to finding its location in your iDrive iteration. It will probably be found under CLIMATE control settings. Or at least let you know if it is still available as a feature.

EDIT: I just googled for a G05 owners manual (PDF) and it appears the G05 X5 does have this feature (instructions started on page 278 of the PDF version). But it is now accessible multiple ways. You can access the set-up for this feature using the:
  1. MENU/AC button
  2. iDrive (Settings/Climate/Pre-Ventilation) screens
  3. Display Key
I appreciate this very much. I went into the settings, and it seems that the system only has settings to "pre-condition" at a set time. So if I set it for 6:30am (mon-fri) the ventilation will start at or around that time? I was hoping for a setting that would allow the system to run the fan for a while after the car has been shut off. I did see in the owners manual where it states something of the sort, with a long description, but the settings do not seem to reflect an option for this.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2023, 11:09 AM   #12
Chetak
Private
Rep
Drives: 21X5

Quote:
I appreciate this very much. I went into the settings, and it seems that the system only has settings to "pre-condition" at a set time. So if I set it for 6:30am (mon-fri) the ventilation will start at or around that time? I was hoping for a setting that would allow the system to run the fan for a while after the car has been shut off. I did see in the owners manual where it states something of the sort, with a long description, but the settings do not seem to reflect an option for this.

I am also having the same issue in charlotte for the past 2yrs.. lately noticed the same issue with our one year old X5 which lives in kansas city.. i guess some thing wrong with AC unit..in g05 BMW x5s..
of course read the same with some ford and toyotas as well..
but we didn't see this odor in our 2 yr old X3 (dallas)..
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2023, 12:02 PM   #13
David3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E21 (x2), E46, F15, G05 LCI

My sister's G05 had this issue and after a lot of arguing with the service writer, it was corrected under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2023, 12:10 PM   #14
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by David3 View Post
My sister's G05 had this issue and after a lot of arguing with the service writer, it was corrected under warranty.
what did they do?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2023, 01:06 PM   #15
Steve737
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 50E sold, BMW X7 40i

It’s a common problem with the Tesla model X anyway. Changing the cabin air filter has helped.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2023, 01:52 PM   #16
GerryC
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40i, BMW X5x40i

Garage List
Quote:
It can set set to start at a pre-determined time or turn on or off directly. having used it a few times, I now get a 'Suggested action' on the iDrive screen when I shut down the car to 'Turn on Pre-ventilation.' which I can do with a tap on the screen.

From the manual:
Attached Images

08-14-2023, 10:03 PM   #17
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

The evaporator coil is in the dark, damp, and after you shut the engine off, warms up which is ideal for mold growth. There's a lot of air that moves through the system, and the filter catches most of it, but there will be some organic dust that makes it through (failing to replace the filter when recommended can make this worse, or using a low quality aftermarket one). So, to eliminate the mildew and accumulated crud, there are cleaning materials that can be used that should help. I don't know how easy it is to access the coils, but that is the ultimate fix to clean them.

If the drain gets clogged, that can make it worse.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2023, 09:53 AM   #18
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
...I went into the settings, and it seems that the system only has settings to "pre-condition" at a set time. So if I set it for 6:30am (mon-fri) the ventilation will start at or around that time? I was hoping for a setting that would allow the system to run the fan for a while after the car has been shut off. I did see in the owners manual where it states something of the sort, with a long description, but the settings do not seem to reflect an option for this.
I know that you posted the above back in 2019...but GerryC posted the page from the owners manual where it gives the answer to what you wanted...the ability to turn on the HVAC system without setting up a predetermined time. You can select START NOW....but you have to be in the IDLE STATE (aka the START button needs to be pressed to turn the engine off, first).

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryC View Post
It can set set to start at a pre-determined time or turn on or off directly. having used it a few times, I now get a 'Suggested action' on the iDrive screen when I shut down the car to 'Turn on Pre-ventilation.' which I can do with a tap on the screen.

From the manual:
Attached Images

Last edited by Qsilver7; 08-15-2023 at 10:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2023, 03:45 PM   #19
Mixelplux
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: N/A

i been dealing with this on and off for over 6 months now on my 2019. Did all the following and still eventually came back after a couple of days. Did not have it for first 3 years of ownership.

Tried BMW bombs where it sprays in recirculate for high heat for 20 mins
Tried Spraying foam cleaner in air intake under hood and where the cabin filters usually sit with filter removed. Also tried Lysol spray in same area.
Tried replacing cabin filter
Tried AC Vent Pro INTO all vents
Tried spraying foam cleaners into vent

Ive owned Acuras MB Infinitis and E92 and never had this problem. I'm now considering to get rid of vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2023, 04:30 PM   #20
Rob_G77
Major
Rep
Drives: Nothing

My buddy has a 2012 Mercedes SLK300 convertible and while he says he smells nothing, every time I get in that car the strong mildew smell hits me like a brick.... UGH! Breathing that in can't be good for a person!

Rob
Appreciate 0