08-27-2019, 07:59 AM   #1
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Timelines

So I'm wondering about timelines here - have two X5 40i BMWs "in production," and I've seen estimates of 36-hour, 40-hour build times. I ordered the cars over 8 weeks ago, and one, which entered "production begins" more than two weeks ago, has been in "Quality Check" for 4 days. The other, estimated for completion on the phone line on 24 August, just "entered the assembly line," I assume for another week or so until it exits, since the other car has yet to do so. Followed by whatever shipping time follows, and based on historical experience to date, I assume they will use the US Postal Service to deliver them. I understand the "2020, new build, tracking site lag" thing, but I'm not seeing this "24/7" operation, "1-day build," discussed. From the evidence, looks like they take weekends, global national holidays, and afternoons and tea-time off. With extended coffee breaks, hourly training sessions and Zumba classes for all employees.

It took less time - to date - to order, build two fully loaded Q7s in Ingolstadt, ferry them across the Atlantic, deliver them to the dealer, prep them and get them shrink-wrapped in 3-M, and drive them to my garage, than it has taken for these cars to get through the production line, which, as far as I can tell, hasn't happened yet. By all accounts, the weather is fine in Spartanburg, trains are running on time and early morning traffic is normal. Foot tapping commences....

Last edited by Paladin1; 08-27-2019 at 08:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 08:03 AM   #2
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
Were you given build weeks when you placed the orders? From my understanding, your car should go into production about 1-2 weeks prior to your "build week". So if you have a build week of 40, that should mean the car goes into production around week 38 or 39.

That being said, 8 weeks does seem like a long time. My first dealer was playing games so that wasted 2 weeks of my time, but the 2nd dealer I placed the order with this last Friday 8/23 and they gave me a build week of 41, which would be right around 6-7 weeks from time of order to time of completion. And that's with individual options on it.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 08:45 AM   #3
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
Were you given build weeks when you placed the orders? From my understanding, your car should go into production about 1-2 weeks prior to your "build week". So if you have a build week of 40, that should mean the car goes into production around week 38 or 39.

That being said, 8 weeks does seem like a long time. My first dealer was playing games so that wasted 2 weeks of my time, but the 2nd dealer I placed the order with this last Friday 8/23 and they gave me a build week of 41, which would be right around 6-7 weeks from time of order to time of completion. And that's with individual options on it.
Week 34, which was, let's see, last week....
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 09:34 AM   #4
wtwo3
Major General
Rep

Garage List
yikes.. yeah i'm not sure what causes such large variance in their production schedules. Not like we're dealing with Tesla here. Seems like some people get it turned around in a couple weeks and some are left waiting for an eternity. Did you have individual options in your builds at all?

Maybe they're relaxing since the main competitor, the GLE, has been an absolute shit show. On the other hand, I bet it's the Zumba classes.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 09:51 AM   #5
dan321
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

The main assembly line builds your car. "Assembly Started" means your car has started down that main assembly line. It takes a day or two to make its way down to the end of it. When my car when through it took a little over a day to move through "Assembly Started."

There are sub-assembly lines that make pieces the main assembly line puts together. Sub-assembly lines make things like dashboards, metal stampings, axel assemblies and such. Some of those assembly lines are not even in Spartanburg; for example, the engines come from Austria or Germany. All these sub-assembly lines are coordinated so what they make ends up in the main assembly line exactly when it is needed.

"In Production" means that those sub-assembly lines are making the parts your car will need. That's why once you are "In Production," you can't make changes to options. It's hard to tell how long a car will be "In Production." It may be that one part your car needs, like the individual Leopard spot upholstery you ordered, might be out of stock. Your car can't enter "Assembly Started" until all the parts for your car are ready for assembly.

In the end, the schedule on "MyBMW" is doesn't seem to be all that closely linked to what is going on in the factory. I know my dealer called me up to tell my car was already sitting on a truck at the factory and would be delivered to the dealership the next day, but MyBMW showed it was still in quality check. Also, the phone number you call for status didn't always give the same status as MyBMW.

In any case, your dealer may be able to give you a better idea of the actual status of your car.
Appreciate 3
      08-27-2019, 10:09 AM   #6
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan321 View Post
The main assembly line builds your car. "Assembly Started" means your car has started down that main assembly line. It takes a day or two to make its way down to the end of it. When my car when through it took a little over a day to move through "Assembly Started."

There are sub-assembly lines that make pieces the main assembly line puts together. Sub-assembly lines make things like dashboards, metal stampings, axel assemblies and such. Some of those assembly lines are not even in Spartanburg; for example, the engines come from Austria or Germany. All these sub-assembly lines are coordinated so what they make ends up in the main assembly line exactly when it is needed.

"In Production" means that those sub-assembly lines are making the parts your car will need. That's why once you are "In Production," you can't make changes to options. It's hard to tell how long a car will be "In Production." It may be that one part your car needs, like the individual Leopard spot upholstery you ordered, might be out of stock. Your car can't enter "Assembly Started" until all the parts for your car are ready for assembly.

In the end, the schedule on "MyBMW" is doesn't seem to be all that closely linked to what is going on in the factory. I know my dealer called me up to tell my car was already sitting on a truck at the factory and would be delivered to the dealership the next day, but MyBMW showed it was still in quality check. Also, the phone number you call for status didn't always give the same status as MyBMW.

In any case, your dealer may be able to give you a better idea of the actual status of your car.
Understand all. Yep, dealer is next. My assessment now is that the Online Tracking Tool is to keep the buyer distracted until the car actually shows up, which could be anywhere from two weeks to 90 days from initial order....
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 08:28 AM   #7
mephisto2k2
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 xDrive 40i

In my case the 800 number gave a 8/12 production date. On 8/12 the tracker showed start of production and finished with completed assembly, next day I believe it finished QA and on 8/15 it arrived at the dealer (east coast)
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 08:59 AM   #8
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Maybe, as above, because of options. Full leather, B&W, acoustic glass, M Sport, Extended Shadowline, every other option checked but Offroad. Partly in jest, but it takes a looooooong time to put together a fully loaded X5 here in the Land of the Free. Our Qs were assembled in the Old Country, where presumably the parts were ready to hand. Just In Time Inventory. It's not for the impatient....
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 09:53 AM   #9
wtwo3
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Totally understand your impatience because I'm driving myself crazy as well awaiting delivery. This forum seems to be the only thing holding me over and preventing me from going insane.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2019, 02:04 AM   #10
karlx5m50i
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

M50i ordered today

I ordered my M50i today. Initially there was some issue about the Anthracite Alcantara Headliner, Acoustic Glass and Piano Black trim being unavailable, but BMW corrected the order and it is confirmed.

Production should begin in week 38 (September) and pickup should be in October!

Appreciate 0
      08-31-2019, 07:26 AM   #11
Stav
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin1 View Post
Maybe, as above, because of options. Full leather, B&W, acoustic glass, M Sport, Extended Shadowline, every other option checked but Offroad. Partly in jest, but it takes a looooooong time to put together a fully loaded X5 here in the Land of the Free. Our Qs were assembled in the Old Country, where presumably the parts were ready to hand. Just In Time Inventory. It's not for the impatient....
FYI - ordered ours early Aug. - per 800 number production was to finish Aug. 17 (which it did) and within a day the online tool moved to released to carrier. Arrived at dealer Aug. 21st and picked it up Aug. 24th. Of course it helps we are only 3 hours away from plant. MSRP of about $75k and no B&W, full leather, acoustic glass and m sport.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2019, 09:16 AM   #12
The J-Man
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

It is the full leather delaying your build. Same thing is happening with mine.
Appreciate 1
Paladin15457.50
      08-31-2019, 10:00 AM   #13
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by The J-Man View Post
It is the full leather delaying your build. Same thing is happening with mine.
Thanks! Knew it was some part of the build - suspected Extended Shadowline Trim might have something to do with it as well....
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2019, 10:28 AM   #14
The J-Man
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

The full leather is classified as an individual option. I didn't know this. I tried to change my build the other day and the system prevented it despite still being in status 111. It was due to the leather. My production week has also been pushed back by 3 weeks likely from the leather. I don't know why the full leather is so difficult. Dealer says they pull the car from the normal production line and send it elsewhere in the factory to receive the full leather treatment. I hope it's worth it.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2019, 11:28 AM   #15
mwoc
Rep
Drives: 2019 Audi eTron, 2022 X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlx5m50i View Post
I ordered my M50i today. Initially there was some issue about the Anthracite Alcantara Headliner, Acoustic Glass and Piano Black trim being unavailable, but BMW corrected the order and it is confirmed.

Production should begin in week 38 (September) and pickup should be in October!

Care to share what kind of discount you got on your ordered M50i? Trying to work a deal currently to get one ordered. Thanks.
Appreciate 0