BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-14-2019, 10:46 PM   #1
lights
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 40i

This is what my X5 sounds like!?

I’m embarrassed whenever I drive.

There are two distinct, loud ‘squeaks’ - a constant high pitched squeal and an occasional lower creaking that sounds like riding a rusty bike.

I’ve taken it to service twice and they’ve ‘fixed’ it, only for both sounds to come back. They’ve asked if I drive on a gravel road and blame rocks in the brakes, but I live in the suburbs and drive to work a short commute to Seattle, so, no I don’t often drive on anything but pavement. Note that this sound happens when I’m not braking.

Any thoughts? I’ve had Porsche, Audi, VW, Nissan, even Hyundai and never had anything like this.... I have neighbors with older BMWs that don’t have this problem. The loaner X3s I’ve driven don’t have this problem. Only my virtually new X5. HELP!
2019 BMW x5 40i . premium tier . offroad package . integral active steering . parking assistance package . remote start . trailer hitch . heated seats/wheel/armrests . trailer hitch . 20" wheels . arctic gray
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2019, 11:16 PM   #2
Gtz1wickedest
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lights View Post

There are two distinct, loud ‘squeaks’ - a constant high pitched squeal and an occasional lower creaking that sounds like riding a rusty bike.

I’ve taken it to service twice and they’ve ‘fixed’ it, only for both sounds to come back. They’ve asked if I drive on a gravel road and blame rocks in the brakes, but I live in the suburbs and drive to work a short commute to Seattle, so, no I don’t often drive on anything but pavement. Note that this sound happens when I’m not braking.

Any thoughts? I’ve had Porsche, Audi, VW, Nissan, even Hyundai and never had anything like this.... I have neighbors with older BMWs that don’t have this problem. The loaner X3s I’ve driven don’t have this problem. Only my virtually new X5. HELP!
Had the same noise at one point with my F15 it was actually something getting stuck in the rotors/pads I drove it kind rough on the highway parked it next day it was gone. Whatever it was grinded away while doing a little rough driving. Take it back to them and show them the video. If they don't do anything try a different dealership imo. Good luck keep us updated!
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2019, 11:54 PM   #3
lights
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 40i

Oh, the dealership does get rid of the squeaks, but within a few weeks one or both of them come back. I’ve never had a vehicle that is so susceptible to this problem. Driving the same roads as I did with at least 3 other SUVs and this is the only one that has ever done this.

Is this unique to the BMW braking system? (Isn’t it the same as every other German SUV?)

This has been fixed twice and is back a 3rd time after being fixed twice before and I have only had my X5 for 6 months.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2019, 05:25 AM   #4
bjcarls
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 Tahoe, 22 R1S, 23 Z07

yeah, something on the brake pad. Go on the freeway or open road, get up to 80 or higher, apply the brakes, very, very firm, almost all the way to the floor, until you get to 10-20mph. Whatever is causing it should burn up and go away.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2019, 09:49 AM   #5
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

A guess other than them telling you about rocks would be Seattle weather just rusting up the rotors for a bit. It actually sounds like when I finish washing mine and yes you have to apply brakes for it to disappear. But I'm guessing that is not you issue.

Take it in have them show you the problem or simply have them identify what they have done to resolve it twice now........ It doesn't sound like anything serious or really out of the ordinary. It could be that your pads and rotors are not wore in enough yet.
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2019, 10:35 AM   #6
Pete7_li
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lights View Post

I have a somewhat similar squeaking sound to yours (Audio clip attached).

Similarly, I wasn't braking when I heard the sound either, the clip is when I was going about 40-50mph (sometimes parking lot speed, too), driver window open, and nowhere near a gravel road/construction area. It doesn't do it all the time, but rather randomly.

I started a thread here a few weeks ago (https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1658233)

My car is at the dealership right now (for the second time on this issue) and they are trying to figure it out. My guess they will come back again with another "unable to duplicate", but hoping for a solution.

Good luck and I will post back if they find the cause.
Appreciate 0