BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-30-2019, 07:39 AM   #1
Ilyam5
Major
Rep
Drives: 06 M3

Roof leaks

Several cases were reported throughout the year.

Most common is

- Shark Fin leak. it sips water through shark fin into the GPS TCB unit and fries it. It effects GPS antenna and all communications. The tel-tel sign is "Emergency call malfunction message". The only cure is to re-glue the shark fin. Let it cure overnight and water test again. My concern is - the roof is flimsy around the shark fin so it flexes when washing car or at high sped. Is it a design flaw? does it need extra bracing? will it continue to happen?

- Moon roof leak - several were reported from drain clog or bad seal. Question is - how to determine the minor leak there and distinguish between shark fin and moon roof?

Also if the design is so leaky - it will be really worrisome to take the car though car wash station - even touch less or pressure wash or park outside in the driven rain. PITA
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 08:51 AM   #2
AustinV
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40i (2019)

"Several cases were reported throughout the year." "Also if the design is so leaky - it will be really worrisome to take the car though car wash station..."

Let's not judge the whole generation of G05 based on just few bad apples. When Volvo launched new XC90 their forum was exploding from different roof leaking and other issues. Get it through car wash before buying if you have such low faith in the new G05. There will always be some defects especially during the first year of production. Nothing wrong with the car's design.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 08:55 AM   #3
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

I follow this board pretty obsessively and can only recall a few posters with this issue - so I agree, wouldn't classify it as widespread.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 09:10 AM   #4
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTENGR View Post
I follow this board pretty obsessively and can only recall a few posters with this issue - so I agree, wouldn't classify it as widespread.
While forums do concentrate problems, they also don't cover much of the owner base. So a few on a forum does not imply no others or few others. You can't really do stats conclusions without controlled experiments, but that's a fallacy that hits both ways.

The fact that the roof under the shark fin is paper thin (not exaggerating) is a fact. I would advice you to take a look at it yourself, but the light pressure from your stare might bend it. When you observe how ludicrously fragile it is, the fact that that can be a significant seal failure point become pretty clear.
      10-30-2019, 09:17 AM   #5
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
While forums do concentrate problems, they also don't cover much of the owner base. So a few on a forum does not imply no others or few others. You can't really do stats conclusions without controlled experiments, but that's a fallacy that hits both ways.

The fact that the roof under the shark fin is paper thin (not exaggerating) is a fact. I would advice you to take a look at it yourself, but the light pressure from your stare might bend it. When you observe how ludicrously fragile it is, the fact that that can be a significant seal failure point become pretty clear.
All true points, but message boards tend the skew the sample size in the favor of the flaws - no one will come here looking to post a new topic saying how miraculously the car holds up to rain. However, like what we saw with iDrive/Air Play, plenty will come here looking for solutions to their problems.

Since following this board, we have had wrinkle gate, corner light gate, air play gate, 3rd row seat gate. Those were all issues I would consider widespread because there were pages upon pages of people reporting the same issue.

Now whether or not that's widespread among the general population and not "fanatics" like us, that can't be determined. Speaking within just the confines of this message board, I don't think this issue is a prominent one.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 03:41 PM   #6
raindropm4
Private
Rep
Drives: m4

My roof is also leaking im bringing in next week for them to look at
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 05:06 PM   #7
Ilyam5
Major
Rep
Drives: 06 M3

I was not trying to raise panic and say everyone has it. But the problem is hard to notice and diagnose, so it makes sense to keep an eye on it.

Here is the thread with several people with similar issue.

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1598030

it also references the thread with people who replaced the TCB unit - possibly because of moisture but not knowing it.

Some people replaced it 3 times and it still leaks.

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1614030
Appreciate 1
LexxM31700.00
      11-02-2019, 08:29 AM   #8
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTENGR View Post
All true points, but message boards tend the skew the sample size in the favor of the flaws - no one will come here looking to post a new topic saying how miraculously the car holds up to rain. However, like what we saw with iDrive/Air Play, plenty will come here looking for solutions to their problems.

Since following this board, we have had wrinkle gate, corner light gate, air play gate, 3rd row seat gate. Those were all issues I would consider widespread because there were pages upon pages of people reporting the same issue.

Now whether or not that's widespread among the general population and not "fanatics" like us, that can't be determined. Speaking within just the confines of this message board, I don't think this issue is a prominent one.
I have always trusted in the fact that the majority of people prefer to stay in the quiet background and observe, gain knowledge and use that knowledge to resolve issues they are having. When we see issues on this forum, I trust its only the tip of the iceberg and plenty of other "observers' quietly have them too. Especially since we're talking about mass production assembly lines.
Appreciate 1
      11-16-2021, 04:00 PM   #9
bqvalen
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 G05, 2016 F15, 2019 XC60

Having this exact issue now - dealer repair under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2021, 06:54 PM   #10
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
My former x5 had a shark fin leak
Dealer tried to fix it 3 times, with no success
Car was lemond and I got a brand new one with more options
      11-16-2021, 07:23 PM   #11
YuicyYumboYack
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: the speed limit

I straight up blast the shark fin and the moon roof with my pressure washer and haven't had any issues. However, ask me how it is in a year. Might be a different story lol
Appreciate 1
      11-16-2021, 08:15 PM   #12
Wait What?
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by bqvalen View Post
Having this exact issue now - dealer repair under warranty.
Just out of curiosity, what MY is your X5?

Glad you will get the issue fixed under warranty, as it should be!
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2021, 08:18 PM   #13
Wait What?
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuicyYumboYack View Post
I straight up blast the shark fin and the moon roof with my pressure washer and haven't had any issues. However, ask me how it is in a year. Might be a different story lol
I do the same with mine, albeit with a feeble garden hose…
Appreciate 1