12-12-2019, 09:11 AM   #1
KrisV
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X5 M Competition

Garage List
Wireless Charging Pointless

The 5W wireless charger i think is super slow, gets too hot, and just flat out pointless unless we can figure out how to put at least a 7.5W fast charger in...
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 09:17 AM   #2
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Stupid question, but can you turn off the wireless tray and still use the digital key card? I did put my previous iPhone Xs in the tray to top off while driving and using CarPlay. I just upgrade, and have not put my new phone in the tray. To me, the jury is still out on wireless charging. It doesn't necessary hurt your battery, but the excessive heat apparently damages your battery...seems like a catch-22. To be honest, now that I have the 11 Pro Max, I don't see a need to charge 99% of the time in the car due to incredible battery.

I do feel like the heat did kill my last battery...for what it's worth, I know the battery health doesn't mean much, but from May 2019 to November 2019...but battery health on the Xs dropped from 97% to 89%. There's a bunch of reasons I'm sure, but the heat definitely contributed.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 09:39 AM   #3
micmitch
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5, 2018 Accord

Yes... the wireless charger in the car is one of my few complaints. My phone was in the charger for about 5 hours yesterday and when I pulled it off it was 93% and hot. The phone was directly on the charger (no case)
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 09:48 AM   #4
dream54ing
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428xi F32- X5 X5 G05 -640i F06

no problem with heat (with or without case), but slow charging is expected.. we have an iphone xr.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 09:52 AM   #5
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Samsung Note 9 usually charges completely over a short trip, and no heat issues. Otterbox Defender case.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 09:58 AM   #6
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
I have a Samsung Galaxy S10+ with no case. When working properly, the wireless charger charges at a reasonable pace and the phone won't get too hot.

On rare occasion, for whatever reason it gets excessively hot and barely charges, but that is quite rare. Most of the time it works flawlessly.

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 10:02 AM   #7
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
I've noticed it makes a difference how you place it in the charger - flush with the short ledge in front, blue light on, top of the phone to the right.
Appreciate 4
jasrboyd123.50
wtwo318011.50
Tejael64.00
      12-12-2019, 10:33 AM   #8
maczrool
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 M50i Carbon Black

iPhone X maintains charge and becomes a hand warmer but does not ever get charged.
Appreciate 1
KrisV209.50
      12-12-2019, 11:32 AM   #9
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep

To the people saying it's warm and doesn't charge above your level, stays the same, or maybe drops...are you streaming music? Are you on the phone for a good bit? I feel like the 5W is good when you turn on airplane mode for the quick charge cheat...other than that, in my experience, the charge didn't go anywhere if I was on the phone or streaming.

Also, I wonder if certain cases may be a problem? It charges, but maybe not as efficiently? Someone with some expertise can probably expound upon that.

See link below, there is some points Apple makes, one regarding removing certain cases to avoid overheating. It says heat does impact battery capacity.
https://www.apple.com/batteries/maximizing-performance/
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 11:47 AM   #10
KrisV
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
i get same result whether streaming or not
Appreciate 1
      12-12-2019, 11:58 AM   #11
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep

Which phone are you using? If it's an iPhone, what's your battery health? I know it's not accurate to the T, but always thought they pooped the bed right around 85% capacity.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 12:00 PM   #12
KrisV
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
iPhone 11 Pro. 96% health
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 12:09 PM   #13
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisV View Post
iPhone 11 Pro. 96% health
It dropped that quick? Side note, do you do the 40-80% range for charging to keep the complete cycles down? I wonder if there's an issue with the Optimized Charging option enabled while using it on a wireless charger and using the phone in the car for calls, music, etc. Reading some of the Apple forums, I know people had issues with charging and batteries due to that option. I think I am just going to turn my tray off and use the wired charging. I hate how small the center console is on the X5 if you want to use the USB-C to charge. I know some people on here mentioned something about that and fast charging not working? My question still remains...if I turn off the wireless tray, can I still use my Digital Key Card?

When did you get the phone? It seems like that's a quick drop being that these phones aren't even 3 months old. Again, the health percentage is not necessarily accurate, but I would keep an eye on that within your 1 year warranty. If it continues to drop, definitely hit up Apple. Which case are you using? I use the regular Apple Silicone case on my 11 Pro Max, which grips well and keeps the heat down. These big, bulky protectors trap the heat, and I swear to god all the phone cases are slippery...it's a conspiracy with Apple to break your phones!
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 12:16 PM   #14
KrisV
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
my phone still keeps great charge because it's so new but i just hate how if i do happen to be low, using the wireless charger does virtually nothing other than let me cook eggs on my phone. i have a pretty low profile case too. Not sure about card working if you disable charger though. i'm just hoping someone comes out with a retrofit for a 7.5W. It's obvious the way technology is going these cars will probably adopt fast charging systems next.
Appreciate 1
      12-12-2019, 12:38 PM   #15
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep

agreed. it's funny that on a vehicle this expensive, the wireless charging technology was outdated once it was released. It's better than nothing though...I keep a regular usb to lightning and usb-c to lightning in the car, but things can get misplaced or disappear. I still have the ability to get a quick charge in a pinch...even if I have to turn the phone off for 20 mins to get a little extra cheat in for the charge.

But wholeheartedly agreed on bumping! It's amazing they have usb-c in the car, but 5W wireless!
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 03:32 PM   #16
Sonny185
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e LCI

Garage List
2024 X5 50e  [0.00]
2024 X5 40i  [0.00]
The power brick that comes with Apple phones is a 5 watt charger, so my guess is that is why BMW uses a 5 watt charger to get Apple's approval. With wireless, many factors prevent a phone from receiving the full 5 watts. My iPhone Xs charges to a full 100% and it is warm, but that's to be expected with this charging method.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 05:27 PM   #17
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny185 View Post
The power brick that comes with Apple phones is a 5 watt charger, so my guess is that is why BMW uses a 5 watt charger to get Apple's approval. With wireless, many factors prevent a phone from receiving the full 5 watts. My iPhone Xs charges to a full 100% and it is warm, but that's to be expected with this charging method.
iPhones support 7.5W wireless charging, Samsung supports up to 15W wireless charging. it's Qi which the standard for wireless charging ie it doesn't matter what apple or Samsung thing
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 05:35 PM   #18
BBock727
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by randybobandy View Post
agreed. it's funny that on a vehicle this expensive, the wireless charging technology was outdated once it was released. It's better than nothing though...I keep a regular usb to lightning and usb-c to lightning in the car, but things can get misplaced or disappear. I still have the ability to get a quick charge in a pinch...even if I have to turn the phone off for 20 mins to get a little extra cheat in for the charge.

But wholeheartedly agreed on bumping! It's amazing they have usb-c in the car, but 5W wireless!
The usb-c in the car is slow. It's not amazing.
Appreciate 1
      12-12-2019, 07:13 PM   #19
X5_CC
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5 40i

My wireless charger is also worthless. My iPhone X gets hot and doesn't charge worth a crap. My charge tray has been replaced too to eliminate the Apple Pay pop-up.

Before anyone says it's my phone... I have wireless charging pads at home on my night stand and living room side table, and my phone charges perfectly normally on those. There is something wrong with the X5 charger. I don't know if it's a bad design, if it's tucked too far in to get proper ventilation, or what. For those who have no problems in your own X5, you're lucky.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 07:22 PM   #20
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by X5_CC View Post
My wireless charger is also worthless. My iPhone X gets hot and doesn't charge worth a crap. My charge tray has been replaced too to eliminate the Apple Pay pop-up.

Before anyone says it's my phone... I have wireless charging pads at home on my night stand and living room side table, and my phone charges perfectly normally on those. There is something wrong with the X5 charger. I don't know if it's a bad design, if it's tucked too far in to get proper ventilation, or what. For those who have no problems in your own X5, you're lucky.
my iPhone would also get very hot, but my Note 10+ and S10+ never do/did normally. I can make my Note 10+ get hot on the tray if I'm using a very high battery designing app like Waze, otherwise it's fine 100% of the time. it could have to do with how the phone implemented the wireless charging coil because my iPhone always would get hot wirelessly charging.

I have nothing wrong with wireless charging, I've used it since 2012 on my phones. There have been issues in the past with other devices, it really depends on a variety of things.
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 07:45 PM   #21
X5_CC
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidRobot View Post
Quote:

my iPhone would also get very hot, but my Note 10+ and S10+ never do/did normally. I can make my Note 10+ get hot on the tray if I'm using a very high battery designing app like Waze, otherwise it's fine 100% of the time. it could have to do with how the phone implemented the wireless charging coil because my iPhone always would get hot wirelessly charging.

I have nothing wrong with wireless charging, I've used it since 2012 on my phones. There have been issues in the past with other devices, it really depends on a variety of things.
If that's the case that the charger doesn't like iPhones, BMW needs to fix that to be more compatible — I mean with the CarPlay crap they expect people to use their iPhones in their X5s. There are charging pad designs that work perfectly normally with my iPhone so I know it's possible.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 08:05 PM   #22
BBock727
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidRobot View Post
Quote:

If that's the case that the charger doesn't like iPhones, BMW needs to fix that to be more compatible — I mean with the CarPlay crap they expect people to use their iPhones in their X5s. There are charging pad designs that work perfectly normally with my iPhone so I know it's possible.
I'd wish they'd remove the wireless charger and just all power delivery from the usb-c. The usb-cs are grossly underpowered.
Appreciate 0