Mmmh!
Attached Images

02-09-2020, 01:53 PM   #2
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

Here we go again...why people do that? Its not even M sport...i hate to see that.
Appreciate 1
      02-09-2020, 02:26 PM   #3
CMBX23
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 19' X5 50 M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deda View Post
Here we go again...why people do that? Its not even M sport...i hate to see that.
I don’t understand why people do it. Any BMW “enthusiast” or person familiar with BMW know it’s definitely not an M
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2020, 02:31 PM   #4
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Tastes, colors and budgets are personal. I am glad we don't all like the same thing. Would be boring.

Edit. Thought you were referring to the 19 inch wheels. Haha just saw the M now.

Sorry yeah that is ...

He must be laughing with us. Had his M pack for 5 dollars
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2020, 04:06 PM   #5
PhilH930
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

Haha that looks idiotic. Coming from a true M now and excited to receive a poor mans M (M50i) very soon, but under no circumstances should fake badges me added to the car (unless they make it faster, which I've heard they can)!

To be honest M division are almost as bad. I think I counted over 48 references to M on my M3 comp, which comes in handy when I occasionally forget which car I have.
      02-09-2020, 05:03 PM   #6
sjak92
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 30d MY24 + G20 M340i MY24

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilH930 View Post
Haha that looks idiotic. Coming from a true M now and excited to receive a poor mans M (M50i) very soon, but under no circumstances should fake badges me added to the car (unless they make it faster, which I've heard they can)!

To be honest M division are almost as bad. I think I counted over 48 references to M on my M3 comp, which comes in handy when I occasionally forget which car I have.
48?!?

I mean M badges are dotted around in General even on M Sport trim but even with an M3 I can think of 4 each on wheels, door sills and headrests. The one badge on boot, grill, side vents (x2) steering wheel, cluster and I guess a few dotted around I drive but where is the extra 30 odd? Haha
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2020, 05:08 PM   #7
robby818
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Awful. The 19" wheels are probably the worst looking standard wheels on any BMW. The M badge on top makes it laughable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post
Tastes, colors and budgets are personal. I am glad we don't all like the same thing. Would be boring.

Edit. Thought you were referring to the 19 inch wheels. Haha just saw the M now.

Sorry yeah that is ...

He must be laughing with us. Had his M pack for 5 dollars
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2020, 05:09 PM   #8
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
...Its not even M sport...
Which still shouldn't have an M on the back...

This is a futile a argument though. People will do what they do. At least it's a BMW not a Saturn, I guess. Anyone remember those old Fiero Ferrari kits?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2020, 07:09 PM   #9
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
I have something similar. Why? Partially to tell BMW to screw themselves: for some reason in the Canadian market versus other markets like EU, the little side ///Ms were not included on Canadian M Sport trim (which includes the exhaust, suspension, and brakes upgrades, not just cosmetics). When I questioned BMW about that, they gave me some stupid lip and so I just said, screw it, I'll do my own badging if they're going to be idiots about it. M branding is long almost meaningless now, or at least super confusing — BMW messed it up themselves, so I am just going to do what makes me happy now.
      02-09-2020, 07:12 PM   #10
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
I heard the fake "M" badge adds 17 horsepower

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 1
perikifi165.50
      02-09-2020, 07:49 PM   #11
PhilH930
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjak92 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilH930 View Post

48?!?

I mean M badges are dotted around in General even on M Sport trim but even with an M3 I can think of 4 each on wheels, door sills and headrests. The one badge on boot, grill, side vents (x2) steering wheel, cluster and I guess a few dotted around I drive but where is the extra 30 odd? Haha
Haha I'll recount! But each wheel has two (center cap and valve stem). Door projector lights. Grill. Air skits on side. Trunk decal. Seat lights. Door skid plates. Dashboard x2. Idrive boot screen. Shifter. Steering wheel. Footrest. Engine cover. (Seatsbelts although only colors it doesn't say M).

That's 33 without even looking for the Easter eggs!
      02-09-2020, 07:56 PM   #12
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
I have something similar. Why? Partially to tell BMW to screw themselves: for some reason in the Canadian market versus other markets like EU, the little side ///Ms were not included on Canadian M Sport trim (which includes the exhaust, suspension, and brakes upgrades, not just cosmetics). When I questioned BMW about that, they gave me some stupid lip and so I just said, screw it, I'll do my own badging if they're going to be idiots about it. M branding is long almost meaningless now, or at least super confusing — BMW messed it up themselves, so I am just going to do what makes me happy now.
They shouldn't be on the M sport either and I for one am happy the US automatically deletes the side badge. M sport is not ///M..

At least Audi's S-Line says just that, not the normal S symbol the actual S cars have, let alone any sort of RS (the real ///M equivalent). I never liked the S-Line before BMW even started doing M sport. But they all do it now, and at least Audi does separate them, even if just slightly. And there is no RS Line, so when you see that RS, it still means more. Only people like us that really pay attention know what it means when the ///M is on the side of the car vs the left side of the model designation vs the right side....
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2020, 10:52 PM   #13
spike5150
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

I saw an extremely rare X3 M30i today...
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2020, 11:22 PM   #14
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisny View Post
Quote:
They shouldn't be on the M sport either and I for one am happy the US automatically deletes the side badge. M sport is not ///M..

At least Audi's S-Line says just that, not the normal S symbol the actual S cars have, let alone any sort of RS (the real ///M equivalent). I never liked the S-Line before BMW even started doing M sport. But they all do it now, and at least Audi does separate them, even if just slightly. And there is no RS Line, so when you see that RS, it still means more. Only people like us that really pay attention know what it means when the ///M is on the side of the car vs the left side of the model designation vs the right side....
I had 2 M3s prior to the X5, and had dreamed of those M3s for 10 years prior, so I know that that brand used to mean something unique and special. I think the dilution of the brand started when someone at BMW decided that M3 branding didn't matter and gave it 4 doors, while starting to call what should have remained an M3 an M4 — that was the start, but not the end.

So what's the real ///M now, say using the X5 line: 50i M Sport cosmetics only, M Sport cosmetics with M Sport exhaust, brakes, and suspension, M50i, M50d, with M Performance exhaust, X5M, X5M Competition, a future X5M LCI? How many permutations of ///M are we supposed to keep track off?

Don't get me wrong, the technology in each is special and unique, but with so much overload, the brand itself has become almost entirely meaningless.

I personally think BMW is ripe for an order of magnitude or two of model permutation reduction.
      02-10-2020, 12:03 AM   #15
Ken6096
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M F95 2022

I think they inspire in most target market to keep in mind how cool M cars is and even low budget people want to have M car but cant afford they still want an M car. One day those people could have more money to buy real M car which i guess for those who put the fake badge, eventhough it is not suppose to, they could buy it. Just like people who dream of 911 but just not ready, once they ready they will get it. Even this X5 is expensive but not real M, who knows they might want to try Real M car in the future. BMW just know how to grow people want in long term. I was once bought used toyota prius then used mercs C230, then 2017 x1with fake M badge ( put it my self) and now 2019 x5 50i and my next another car this year could be M8 or used 991.2 turbo . I was poor and still poor but For me my life is getting better step by step but those cool cars i dream of i will get em all eventually
Attached Images

BMW X5M comp F95 2022
Mini clubman JCW F54 2019
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 12:11 AM   #16
TJ_BMW
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05 30d/BMW M5 F90 Comp

Garage List
I saw a BMW MX5 a couple of years ago
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 12:47 AM   #17
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

This is a futile a argument though. People will do what they do. At least it's a BMW not a Saturn, I guess. Anyone remember those old Fiero Ferrari kits?
Well...there is a big difference between M sport and X line models if we talk about X5 G05(overall look of interior and exterior,suspension,brakes,handling..)...also there is s huge difference between any BMW with or without M sport package...so I wouldn't say its futile.
Also that small badges on M sport are put by factory.
M50d or M50i are based on M sport and modify by M performance..and there are also huge differences and M badge on the back..for the good reason.

But puting fake M badge by himself on not even M sport model is making me puke...but dont get me wrong,putting fake M badge on M sport model make me scream...WHY?? Thats even worse...
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 01:19 AM   #18
tvasica
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW G05 M50D

What is the front spoiler made?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 10:03 AM   #19
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Well...there is a big difference between M sport and X line models if we talk about X5 G05(overall look of interior and exterior,suspension,brakes,handling..)...also there is s huge difference between any BMW with or without M sport package...so I wouldn't say its futile.
Also that small badges on M sport are put by factory.
M50d or M50i are based on M sport and modify by M performance..and there are also huge differences and M badge on the back..for the good reason.

But puting fake M badge by himself on not even M sport model is making me puke...but dont get me wrong,putting fake M badge on M sport model make me scream...WHY?? Thats even worse...
My point about it being futile is that people will still do it...

And no, M Sport is a not a huge difference on EVERY model. Visually maybe, but despite the G05 actually getting a suspension upgrade, that isn't always true (wasn't on the F15). Further, you don't get upgraded brakes with M Sport on the G05 without adding that option separately and the interior difference is just the sportier steering wheel and some more badging, hardly an entirely different look.

More importantly, M Sport is not an ///M. It is a cosmetic package that itself, you could argue, is posing as the real thing, even with the partial suspension upgrade (the x line already has the m suspension, the m sport just gives you the adaptive, which is a great upgrade, but still isn't DHP, which still isn't as good as what the X5 ///M will have).

Full disclosure, I've had 3 M Sports. I am not against them at this point (if you can't beat them, join them). They simply make the car look better. But I am glad the US doesn't slap the ///M logo on the sheet metal and wouldn't be at all upset if they took the ones off the wheels and door sills. Nor would I be if they put an actual "M Sport" logo of some kind on the sheet metal like Audi does with the S-Line. I have never been one to pretend my M Sports were ///M cars, not even the 550 that I had that was damn near as powerful of the actual M5 at the time.

My point, I agree the ///M badge, especially on the trunk, of an x-line is ridiculous, especially placed after the X5 badge the way it is on a real X5M (albeit on the other side of the tailgate). But it's almost as ridiculous for an M SPORT owner to take offense. Not quite pot calling the kettle black, but close. It's like saying, "you can't pretend to be what my car is pretending to be" or "your car doesn't even LOOK like an ///M, so you can't pretend to be one." I'm kidding here, but think about it...
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 10:26 AM   #20
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I had 2 M3s prior to the X5, and had dreamed of those M3s for 10 years prior, so I know that that brand used to mean something unique and special. I think the dilution of the brand started when someone at BMW decided that M3 branding didn't matter and gave it 4 doors, while starting to call what should have remained an M3 an M4 — that was the start, but not the end.

So what's the real ///M now, say using the X5 line: 50i M Sport cosmetics only, M Sport cosmetics with M Sport exhaust, brakes, and suspension, M50i, M50d, with M Performance exhaust, X5M, X5M Competition, a future X5M LCI? How many permutations of ///M are we supposed to keep track off?

Don't get me wrong, the technology in each is special and unique, but with so much overload, the brand itself has become almost entirely meaningless.

I personally think BMW is ripe for an order of magnitude or two of model permutation reduction.
Agreed. The one thing I think they've done right is kept the ///M off the trunk unless there is an actual performance/power upgrade involved. But it's still too confusing. How many people know M on the left means M performance and M on the right means it's a real M? Just call all the m performance models iS like it used to be and put ///M Performance on the door instead of the stupid X-Drive if you want to capitalize on the ///M name.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 02:04 PM   #21
mcsa
Captain
Rep
Drives: G05 M50d 2020

Garage List
I'm in a totally different camp: badgeless 😀
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 02:14 PM   #22
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep

When i was a boy,almost 40 years ago...when i saw bmw e21...bmw series 3...it was enough to see that shark face and roundel on hood to realize its a beast...now its not enough badging,all over the car.. so they started to illuminate BIG front grill...disaster!
Appreciate 0