BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-10-2020, 09:41 PM   #1
CDM_415
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2024 F97 X3MC

Removing rear trailer hitch with new bumper/diffuser

Recently purchased a 2018 M40i...Loving it so far. It came with the factory installed tow hitch which I will never use and much prefer the standard rear bumper/diffuser.

Does anyone have any experience removing the tow hitch and putting on a new bumper/rear diffuser? How difficult would this be and any recommendations on an after market option? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 06:30 AM   #2
Dilbert2402
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 30e

Probably the best way to go is to check the fitting instructions for the towbar and see what's been removed. It's normal practice to replace the bumper support beam with the towbar and you would have to replace this and any other cut parts.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 08:54 AM   #3
Soulstar
Private
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 328i xDrive Touring -13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDM_415 View Post
Recently purchased a 2018 M40i...Loving it so far. It came with the factory installed tow hitch which I will never use and much prefer the standard rear bumper/diffuser.

Does anyone have any experience removing the tow hitch and putting on a new bumper/rear diffuser? How difficult would this be and any recommendations on an after market option? Thanks!
Hi! Is the bumper different if you have a tow hitch? I thought it was exactly the same as with no tow hitch. Doesn´t the tow hitch comes out automaticly under the bumper and up? Maybe I´m missing something here as my English is not perfect....

Pls check this video at 04.40 min showing the process. Or do you want to install a non M-sport bumper?

Regards

//J

Now: 328i xDrive Touring -13 l Havanna l Beige Leather l Fineline Antracit l Luxury Line l Advantage l Steptronic l PDC l Hi-Fi l 18" l Custom Decals
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 09:22 AM   #4
Orient330iNYC
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulstar View Post
Hi! Is the bumper different if you have a tow hitch? I thought it was exactly the same as with no tow hitch. Doesn´t the tow hitch comes out automaticly under the bumper and up? Maybe I´m missing something here as my English is not perfect....

Pls check this video at 04.40 min showing the process. Or do you want to install a non M-sport bumper?

Regards

//J
NA trailer hitch is not the same as the euro version, ours is permanently exposed.
Past: 2019 G01 M40i ZDA/2VF/ZPP/ZPX/688/3AC
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 11:06 AM   #5
Dilbert2402
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 30e

These instructions should give you a better idea
https://www.towingproducts.net/Appli...ons/N75768.pdf
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 03:57 PM   #6
Soulstar
Private
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 328i xDrive Touring -13

[QUOTE=Orient330iNYC;25794658]NA trailer hitch is not the same as the euro version, ours is permanently exposed.
[/QUOTE

OK, i get it. Even though I think it´s a bit strange that they differ. The Euro version solution is of course much nicer. I can understand why you want to replace it.

Regards

//J

Now: 328i xDrive Touring -13 l Havanna l Beige Leather l Fineline Antracit l Luxury Line l Advantage l Steptronic l PDC l Hi-Fi l 18" l Custom Decals
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 12:58 AM   #7
AcidLotus
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i, 2014 640i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orient330iNYC View Post
NA trailer hitch is not the same as the euro version, ours is permanently exposed.
It looks like both you and the OP are in North America, and you posted a picture of a NA X3. From what I understand, the OP should be able to remove the hitch and replace pieces of the bumper. For instance, I was looking at this thread and purchase list to retrofit a hitch on my X3. OP should be able to just get the necessary pieces that don't have hitch cutouts.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 04:54 PM   #8
CDM_415
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks guys. I will take a closer look into this and see if its possible, and if so how much it would cost for the parts.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 11:31 PM   #9
Tronner
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Wish I'd seen this thread sooner - I would have traded you parts to swap over. I just bought all the stuff to install a tow hitch. I do have the old gray panel cover, kick to open panel and sensors, and bumper support that I'd do for like 40% off the dealer price if you haven't done the project yet and still want to.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 08:48 AM   #10
CDM_415
Enlisted Member
Rep

I will PM you!
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 05:46 PM   #11
Toodalu
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 18 & 19 X3

I looked into removing my OEM trailer hitch and I've seen the trailer hitch instructions. You will need the oem rear reinforcement bar with the (2x) weather seal gasket. Also attached to the reinforcement bar, is a plastic diffuser trim that the tail gate kick sensor wiring sits on. You will need the OEM rear bumper diffuser and this varies based on the base bumper or M-sport bumper. You will need to reprogram the vehicle for the tail gate kick senor and remove the trailer hitch options on the idrive screen. There is a splash shield that they cut into for the trailer hitch, its behind the rear bumper diffuser. You will need a new one. The uninstall is fairly simple, easier with the M-sport bumper which you wouldn't need to remove the entire bumper. With the base bumper, you will need to remove it. There is a wiring harness that routes to the right side going into the vehicle and connecting to a few things under the rear trunk liner.

Junk yard is your best option for the parts in order to cut the costs. Your best option is to find someone that is willing to swap parts. Both will need to be reprogrammed, if that's the option you pick. I called the dealership who I bought the vehicle from to ask if they still had the OEM parts.. No luck. I asked my local dealership if they wanted to swap it on a loaner, they wanted me to pay double labor.. I decided to live with it.
2022 M3 Competition XDrive
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 07:20 AM   #12
Tronner
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwhineX3 View Post
I looked into removing my OEM trailer hitch and I've seen the trailer hitch instructions. You will need the oem rear reinforcement bar with the (2x) weather seal gasket. Also attached to the reinforcement bar, is a plastic diffuser trim that the tail gate kick sensor wiring sits on. You will need the OEM rear bumper diffuser and this varies based on the base bumper or M-sport bumper. You will need to reprogram the vehicle for the tail gate kick senor and remove the trailer hitch options on the idrive screen. There is a splash shield that they cut into for the trailer hitch, its behind the rear bumper diffuser. You will need a new one. The uninstall is fairly simple, easier with the M-sport bumper which you wouldn't need to remove the entire bumper. With the base bumper, you will need to remove it. There is a wiring harness that routes to the right side going into the vehicle and connecting to a few things under the rear trunk liner.

Junk yard is your best option for the parts in order to cut the costs. Your best option is to find someone that is willing to swap parts. Both will need to be reprogrammed, if that's the option you pick. I called the dealership who I bought the vehicle from to ask if they still had the OEM parts.. No luck. I asked my local dealership if they wanted to swap it on a loaner, they wanted me to pay double labor.. I decided to live with it.
Couple things. When I removed my bumper support to put the tow hitch in there were no weather seal gaskets in there (they came with the tow hitch kit) so he won't need those. They literally are two very light pieces of styrofoam. And if you just get the reinforcement panel without the kick to open sensors you wouldn't need to code them in. If you don't care about that feature, which I don't personally want, you can save a couple hundred bucks not installing those. I put together some numbers for the OP in figuring up how much it would cost from getbmwparts.com to do the gray diffuser, reinforcement panel, new bumper support, and the felt splash guard for the bottom and it was just over $600. If you add in the kick to open sensors and module $900ish. Might be one or two fasteners or something you'll need for another $10-$15.

You might not need to code off the trailer functions either if it doesnt' throw a code when you unhook the two connectors back at the trailer hitch harness and tie them up inside the bumper. Although I have a feeling the vehicle will throw up some type of malfunction just like mine is since I just hooked one up that it doesn't think is supposed to be there LOL.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 11:27 AM   #13
CDM_415
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronner View Post
Couple things. When I removed my bumper support to put the tow hitch in there were no weather seal gaskets in there (they came with the tow hitch kit) so he won't need those. They literally are two very light pieces of styrofoam. And if you just get the reinforcement panel without the kick to open sensors you wouldn't need to code them in. If you don't care about that feature, which I don't personally want, you can save a couple hundred bucks not installing those. I put together some numbers for the OP in figuring up how much it would cost from getbmwparts.com to do the gray diffuser, reinforcement panel, new bumper support, and the felt splash guard for the bottom and it was just over $600. If you add in the kick to open sensors and module $900ish. Might be one or two fasteners or something you'll need for another $10-$15.

You might not need to code off the trailer functions either if it doesnt' throw a code when you unhook the two connectors back at the trailer hitch harness and tie them up inside the bumper. Although I have a feeling the vehicle will throw up some type of malfunction just like mine is since I just hooked one up that it doesn't think is supposed to be there LOL.
Copy with what Tronner outlined above. I personally do not care for the tailgate kick sensor so I am not going to worry about those parts.

The parts I will need are below
So the key must haves for you if you DON'T want to have the Smart Open (kick to open) feature are:
51128094860 - the gray lower piece
51127400674 - bumper reinforcement (this also holds the kick to open module and sensor below)
51127400008 - main bumper reinforcement (the big piece that replaces the tow hit - crash protection)
5175740424 - splash guard for the under side of the car

Would the error come up because the wiring would be removed when removing the tow hitch? How difficult would it be to code the trailer error malfunction off if it does come up?

Thanks for the help guys
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 02:53 PM   #14
Bilbofraggins
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6M, 2019 X3 M40I

[QUOTE=Soulstar;25796505]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orient330iNYC View Post
[/QUOTE

OK, i get it. Even though I think it´s a bit strange that they differ. The Euro version solution is of course much nicer. I can understand why you want to replace it.

Regards

//J
The NA hitch, in this case a 2” class IV receiver is way more useful than a rotating euro ball....😉🍺👍

I’d jam one on my X6M if I could be arsed which I can’t....
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2020, 11:31 AM   #15
CDM_415
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Copy with what Tronner outlined above. I personally do not care for the tailgate kick sensor so I am not going to worry about those parts.

So the key must haves for you if you DON'T want to have the Smart Open (kick to open) feature are:
51127400674 - bumper reinforcement (this also holds the kick to open module and sensor below)
51127400008 - main bumper reinforcement (the big piece that replaces the tow hit - crash protection)

Would the error come up because the wiring would be removed when removing the tow hitch? How difficult would it be to code the trailer error malfunction off if it does come up?

Thanks for the help guys

Just to follow up on this, I was successfully able to replace the factory tow hitch with the OEM bumper/diffuser. Big thanks to Tronner for the help here and exchanging parts. The process overall was relatively simple -- just removing the gray trim around the exhaust, taking a couple pieces of plastic trim off, and then removing the trailer hitch and reinstalling the correct parts (part numbers are above).
Below are some before/after pictures.

If anyone wants to buy the tow hitch and all necessary parts off of me for a discount, let me know!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Tronner75.50
      04-18-2020, 07:46 AM   #16
rem40i
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3MC Comp

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for the help guys

Just to follow up on this, I was successfully able to replace the factory tow hitch with the OEM bumper/diffuser. Big thanks to Tronner for the help here and exchanging parts. The process overall was relatively simple -- just removing the gray trim around the exhaust, taking a couple pieces of plastic trim off, and then removing the trailer hitch and reinstalling the correct parts (part numbers are above).

If anyone wants to buy the tow hitch and all necessary parts off of me for a discount, let me know!
Any error codes come up after the install?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2020, 08:42 PM   #17
madnah378
Rep
Drives: 19 X3 M40i

Quote:

Might be interested in your hitch. New member, so can't PM you yet. Please PM me if still available.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 12:27 AM   #18
CDM_415
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rem40i View Post
Any error codes come up after the install?
No error codes. All looks exactly as it did before taking apart the hitch!
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2020, 08:29 AM   #19
madnah378
Rep
Drives: 19 X3 M40i

Piggybacking on this thread. I purchased the the factory hitch parts from CDM_415. If you want to remove your M40i factory hitch, I have my factory non-hitch take off parts available for sale.

51-12-7-400-008 - Bumper Impact Bar, Carrier Bumper Rear
51-12-8-094-860 - Valance Panel, Trim Panel Bumper Rear

I also have the kick to open parts I removed, which include the support bracket, two sensors and module they connect to. I couldn't find the part numbers for some of these.

If this post is here, it's still available. PM me if you are interested.

Last edited by madnah378; 04-27-2020 at 08:32 AM.. Reason: images
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2021, 02:33 PM   #20
zukmeister
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by madnah378 View Post
Piggybacking on this thread. I purchased the the factory hitch parts from CDM_415. If you want to remove your M40i factory hitch, I have my factory non-hitch take off parts available for sale.

51-12-7-400-008 - Bumper Impact Bar, Carrier Bumper Rear
51-12-8-094-860 - Valance Panel, Trim Panel Bumper Rear

I also have the kick to open parts I removed, which include the support bracket, two sensors and module they connect to. I couldn't find the part numbers for some of these.

If this post is here, it's still available. PM me if you are interested.

Do you still have these parts by chance? I have original tow hitch and do not need it

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2021, 04:20 PM   #21
Drexel_Lake
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i 330cic

Garage List
2020 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
2005 BMW 330ci  [5.00]
How did you remove the two round piece on each side top? Do they pop off when you start to remove the tabs, or are there caps that need to be pried off? Thanks
      05-28-2021, 06:54 PM   #22
DoubleZeroNineOneEight
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by zukmeister View Post
Do you still have these parts by chance? I have original tow hitch and do not need it

Thank you
If he doesn’t I have mine. I added the hitch at the dealer.
Appreciate 0