BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-04-2020, 12:09 PM   #1
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Rear BBK upgrade

The rear brakes I would argue, are the most disappointing thing about the new X5, and unfortunately, this has been consistent for the past sevetal years, on several different platforms.

Rear BBK upgrades have been made available, but the complexity associated with the electronic parking brake (EPB) has meant that rear BBKs are not available for the G05 platform.

.... until now. I've found 3 different companies that offer 4 pot BBK upgrades compatible with the rear EPB on the G05 platform. None of them are what I'd refer to as "industry leaders" though (XYZ Racing, Ksport, etc).

But, I imagine that Brembo, Stoptech, Rotora, etc will be soon to follow, once they've done the appropriate R&D that people trust goes along with their products.

With all that said, I'm already planning, but not having done a brake job yet (I have all 4 sets of pads, just waiting on a good sunny day).... I'm unfamiliar with how the rear EPB works.

In short... how does the rear EPB work? Is it mechanical or hydrolic?

What is the difference between the actions associated with depressing the brake pedal, vs activating the parking brake. Is there even a difference?

How would the EPB complicate a typical caliper swap, and the associated bleeding procedures?
6-Piston X5M Big Brake Kit:https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1779038
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 11:08 PM   #2
Ken6096
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M F95 2022

I think the M performance brake kits is available. I see it on getbmwparts.com and also i used to ask for the the price from my dealer. The price on getbmwparts is around 3200$ and the labor for set up the set from my dealer is $660 with red calipers. Not sure if that is what you want.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2020, 02:49 AM   #3
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken6096 View Post
I think the M performance brake kits is available. I see it on getbmwparts.com and also i used to ask for the the price from my dealer. The price on getbmwparts is around 3200$ and the labor for set up the set from my dealer is $660 with red calipers. Not sure if that is what you want.
No... not at all. The $5000+ M performance brake system are the EXACT same calipers, and EXACT same diameter rotors as the blue sport system.

Yea... the rotors are drilled..... so, you get that I guess.

But basically you are paying $5000 for red paint. Besides, I want to upgrade the rear single-piston floating setup to a monobloc 4-pot setup.

This has been the case across many models. I bought the red MPerformance BBK for my '14 328i, and then took it off when I traded the car in. When I bought my '16 340i, it came with the blue sport brakes.... which were the EXACT same dimensions as the red MPerformance brakes.

I know this, because the diameter of my rear parking brake was larger on the 340 that it was on the 328.... so the rear (drilled) rotor wouldn't fit.

So... I installed the RED mperformance brakes... right on my OEM 340i rotors. They weren't drilled, but they were red.

Then I sold the stock blue sport calipers, along with the Mperformance rotors, as a "kit".

With M performance.... you are paying thousands of dollars for them to drill holes in the rotors, and paint the calipers red.... that's it.
6-Piston X5M Big Brake Kit:https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1779038
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2020, 10:19 AM   #4
Ken6096
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M F95 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninefourteener View Post
No... not at all. The $5000+ M performance brake system are the EXACT same calipers, and EXACT same diameter rotors as the blue sport system.

Yea... the rotors are drilled..... so, you get that I guess.

But basically you are paying $5000 for red paint. Besides, I want to upgrade the rear single-piston floating setup to a monobloc 4-pot setup.

This has been the case across many models. I bought the red MPerformance BBK for my '14 328i, and then took it off when I traded the car in. When I bought my '16 340i, it came with the blue sport brakes.... which were the EXACT same dimensions as the red MPerformance brakes.

I know this, because the diameter of my rear parking brake was larger on the 340 that it was on the 328.... so the rear (drilled) rotor wouldn't fit.

So... I installed the RED mperformance brakes... right on my OEM 340i rotors. They weren't drilled, but they were red.

Then I sold the stock blue sport calipers, along with the Mperformance rotors, as a "kit".

With M performance.... you are paying thousands of dollars for them to drill holes in the rotors, and paint the calipers red.... that's it.

So it’s like paying for cosmetic upgrade only.. I see... thank you for the knowledge.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2020, 06:16 PM   #5
dubsesd
#dubspec
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 X5/ 2016 F80 M3 INDVL

My msport brakes work just fine. Very good braking. Only complaint is the look of the rear caliper being cast. I'm so used to the beautiful look of my carbon ceramics on my m3, the X5 does leave a bit to be desired
MPE / M Performance & Carbon package / KW v3 / 20" HRE R101LW / 20" HRE 527s / Michelin PSS / 20% tint / 3d Design / Streckenn splitters / OEM GTS hood / EAS Carbon seatbacks / Carbon RKP sideskirt / Bootmod3 / M Performance Tri color alcantara / AWE S Flow
instagram: @ dubsesd
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2020, 05:58 AM   #6
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubsesd View Post
My msport brakes work just fine. Very good braking. Only complaint is the look of the rear caliper being cast. I'm so used to the beautiful look of my carbon ceramics on my m3, the X5 does leave a bit to be desired
Agreed, there is nothing "wrong" with the msport brakes at all. I really only want a more aesthetically pleasing rear caliper. The oem ones look "cheap" to me.
Appreciate 1
dubsesd6316.50
      03-14-2020, 06:02 AM   #7
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken6096 View Post
So it’s like paying for cosmetic upgrade only.. I see... thank you for the knowledge.
Honestly.... yes. You could argue that the Mperformance brake rotors are vented, but the "need" for vented rotors was eliminated years ago.

They aren't bigger, thicker, or better.... the mperformance brakes are just red, with drilled rotors..... thats it. I like the look of the red, admittedly..... but I could have them powdercoated for a few hundred dollars and accomplish the EXACT same thing.

Mperformance brakes (on a G05 at least) are a complete waste of money.
Appreciate 2