BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-23-2020, 03:39 PM   #1
sfscott
New Member
3
Rep
6
Posts

Drives: 2002 M3 Convertible
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Northern California

iTrader: (0)

M50i options on X5M

I've been waiting for the f95 to become available. Now that it is, I was kind of surprised to see some of the options for the M50i not available on the F95, such as acoustic glass, glass controls, towing hitch, different colors/interiors.

Is it possible to order any of these items on the F95, either via individual program or other means?

The M50i vs. f95 choice is not necessarily an obvious one. As someone who prefers AND rather than OR, i am curious.
Appreciate 1
      03-23-2020, 05:45 PM   #2
GSG5
Private First Class
GSG5's Avatar
99
Rep
191
Posts

Drives: 2020 F95 Incoming (MBB/SS)
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfscott View Post
I've been waiting for the f95 to become available. Now that it is, I was kind of surprised to see some of the options for the M50i not available on the F95, such as acoustic glass, glass controls, towing hitch, different colors/interiors.

Is it possible to order any of these items on the F95, either via individual program or other means?

The M50i vs. f95 choice is not necessarily an obvious one. As someone who prefers AND rather than OR, i am curious.
Along with a number of other members on this forum, I can confirm that you are correct that a number of M50i options are NOT currently offered as option on the F95, such as:

Glass controls (although i wouldn’t give up the new X5M gear shift, i would like the crystal iDrive dial/knob).

Acoustic glass

LED Sky Lounge (not included in the F95 executive package, which is the biggest downer for me)

Shadowline grill surround trim and side vents on the non-Competition version of the F95 (a non-issue for those of us getting the Comp version)

There are a few other options I’m forgetting other than the tow hitch, but its been a while since I played with the M50i configurator. The first three above were the only ones I really cared about.

I’ve seen others add the glass controls post-production (search the G05 threads for lengthy discussions about this) and I’m sure IND will offer high gloss black grill surrounds and side vents for the non-comp model soon if they don’t already (they do for the X3M), but I doubt there are any after-market options for the LED Sky Lounge. Not sure how the acoustic glass works (integral or coated)...if the latter, perhaps there is an aftermarket solution there as well.

I suspect the 2021 model of the F95 will likely offer some of these along with additional individual color options.

Last edited by GSG5; 03-23-2020 at 05:46 PM.. Reason: Correction
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 05:53 PM   #3
sfscott
New Member
3
Rep
6
Posts

Drives: 2002 M3 Convertible
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Northern California

iTrader: (0)

Thanks. I will need to check with my SA to see if things like the hitch can be a port-installed accessory.

The other aspect is, that despite my lust for a M car, should I just racechip a M50i and live without the suspension settings and cross-drilled brakes etc.

When will MY 2021 start showing up? Maybe it's an unknowable given this current environment.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 06:03 PM   #4
GSG5
Private First Class
GSG5's Avatar
99
Rep
191
Posts

Drives: 2020 F95 Incoming (MBB/SS)
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfscott View Post
Thanks. I will need to check with my SA to see if things like the hitch can be a port-installed accessory.

The other aspect is, that despite my lust for a M car, should I just racechip a M50i and live without the suspension settings and cross-drilled brakes etc.

When will MY 2021 start showing up? Maybe it's an unknowable given this current environment.
Good question. Itís one that Iíve only recently started considering myself if it means that I may pick up a few options I really wanted (e.g. LED Sky Lounge). Before the Spartanburg plant was shut down was announced last week, production on my F95 was scheduled to begin week 14 or ~April 6th. Thus, I was expecting delivery in late April.

Obviously, thatís all out the window now. If the revised ETA on my car turns out to more like June/July now, Iíd seriously consider just waiting until August to get a 2021 with a couple more options (not saying 2021s will be available in August). But who knows when weíll really have any clarity on this - I suspect BMW themselves isnít sure yet. Weíre living in the Wild West right now, so Iím keeping all options on the table.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 08:25 PM   #5
BobsM3Coupe
Lieutenant Colonel
BobsM3Coupe's Avatar
United_States
426
Rep
1,913
Posts

Drives: 2019 X3 M40i
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: California

iTrader: (4)

I would imagine the order guides for the 2021 X5M will be out within a few months.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 11:14 PM   #6
MrMoo
Second Lieutenant
Australia
104
Rep
257
Posts

Drives: G05 X5 M50i
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Australia

iTrader: (0)

Also I believe the comfort seats are not available either.

Correct me if I am wrong.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 10:20 AM   #7
mobilejo
Major
mobilejo's Avatar
United Kingdom
480
Rep
1,270
Posts

Drives: G06 X6 40i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: United Kingdom

iTrader: (0)

It's a shame buyers have to choose.

They have approached the M as a 'no compromises speed & handling machine', but being an SUV, its compromised by its nature. There is a reason someone is looking at an X5M and not an M5... Those same people would appreciate some luxury features and are willing to pay for them.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 11:05 AM   #8
GSG5
Private First Class
GSG5's Avatar
99
Rep
191
Posts

Drives: 2020 F95 Incoming (MBB/SS)
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilejo View Post
It's a shame buyers have to choose.

They have approached the M as a 'no compromises speed & handling machine', but being an SUV, its compromised by its nature. There is a reason someone is looking at an X5M and not an M5... Those same people would appreciate some luxury features and are willing to pay for them.
I wholeheartedly agree with your comment. As I mentioned in a different post on this topic, my theory is that BMW knows this but is holding back some options to release for future in MYs to continue to spur demand over the life cycle of the model generation.

But it sure is infuriating to early adopters who want it now and, like you said, are willing to pay for it now. What Iím not will to do, however, is buy a 2020 F95 and then buy a 2022 MY 18 months later because the Executive Package in 2022 MY finally includes the god damn Sky Lounge...like it should have had in 2020.

Instead, given the necessary delays caused by the virus anyway, if the 2021 MY offers some of these other options in the next few months, I may just cancel my 2020 on order and wait 4-6 additional months and get a MY2021 with those options. Hanging on to my cash for an extra few months doesnít sound so bad at the moment for a variety of reasons.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 01:56 PM   #9
sfscott
New Member
3
Rep
6
Posts

Drives: 2002 M3 Convertible
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Northern California

iTrader: (0)

What doesn't make sense to me is the rationale for not allowing shadow line trim or gloss black wheels on one model but on the other. Also seems like glass controls or acoustic glass would/should be standard on a flagship model...or an option not available on lower-ranking trims.

As for a trailer hitch, I get the marketing pitch that it's a performance track car, but not everyone wants to buy a second car for hauling something. A second car for me will have no roof and only two seats, so is it too much to ask to have an OEM hitch?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 02:12 PM   #10
GSG5
Private First Class
GSG5's Avatar
99
Rep
191
Posts

Drives: 2020 F95 Incoming (MBB/SS)
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfscott View Post
What doesn't make sense to me is the rationale for not allowing shadow line trim or gloss black wheels on one model but on the other. Also seems like glass controls or acoustic glass would/should be standard on a flagship model...or an option not available on lower-ranking trims.

As for a trailer hitch, I get the marketing pitch that it's a performance track car, but not everyone wants to buy a second car for hauling something. A second car for me will have no roof and only two seats, so is it too much to ask to have an OEM hitch?
Totally. I noticed all of those option gaps too (although shadow line is not an issue for me as I want the comp version anyway...but I get it). Yea, like I said, itís very frustrating.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 12:17 PM   #11
MystroX5
Colonel
MystroX5's Avatar
2730
Rep
2,697
Posts

Drives: 2019 M2 Comp, X5 50M-Sport
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Central Pa.

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilejo View Post
It's a shame buyers have to choose.

They have approached the M as a 'no compromises speed & handling machine', but being an SUV, its compromised by its nature. There is a reason someone is looking at an X5M and not an M5... Those same people would appreciate some luxury features and are willing to pay for them.
^^X2^^^. These are SUV’s first and everything else second. By nature a SUV is a compromise to do everything well and can’t be treated as extreme as a sports car.
I am sure Lockheed Martin can make a toaster fly but what’s the point if it doesn’t make decent toast? BMW is missing the mark by not fully optioning up the entire X5/X6 M line as in the end it’s a Luxury SUV that goes fast.
Losing the ambient lighting on the back of the driver/passenger seats, Travel comfort modular system, and USBc charging ports are a major fail on the M seats. I can’t believe BMW settles on a black plastic shell instead of engineering these premium items in as the rest of the rear design is done very well.

Last edited by MystroX5; 04-05-2020 at 09:18 PM..
Appreciate 1
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:12 AM.




xbimmers
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST