BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-10-2020, 10:55 PM   #1
mavjay
Enlisted Member
11
Rep
41
Posts

Drives: 2020 BMW X5
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Ceramic coating

Hi,

What are your opinions on ceramic coatings? Worth it? Or should I just do maintenance and waxing say 2 times a year?

Anyone used Revivify Coatings?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 12:52 PM   #2
CMBX23
Private First Class
CMBX23's Avatar
33
Rep
113
Posts

Drives: 19' X5 50 M-Sport
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: CT/NY

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I have a ceramic coating on my truck and it's awesome. I got ceramic pro, 2 coats of 9h and 2 coats of 9h lite. The water just beads right off, never have to wax it, my washes have been much easier since. It can become a bit pricey but if you can afford it I definitely recommend it.
Appreciate 1
      05-11-2020, 05:32 PM   #3
130FeetDeep
Lieutenant
184
Rep
413
Posts

Drives: BMW X5 M50i
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Northwest North Korea

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavjay View Post
Hi,

What are your opinions on ceramic coatings? Worth it? Or should I just do maintenance and waxing say 2 times a year?

Anyone used Revivify Coatings?
After doing a lot of research I ended up with CQuartz UK 3.0. Definitely worth the time. Depth is on par with carnuba with durability. The water utterly sheets off the car.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 06:08 PM   #4
mavjay
Enlisted Member
11
Rep
41
Posts

Drives: 2020 BMW X5
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 130FeetDeep View Post
After doing a lot of research I ended up with CQuartz UK 3.0. Definitely worth the time. Depth is on par with carnuba with durability. The water utterly sheets off the car.
Yes, I looked at that and Gtechniq if I was doing it myself. Revivify is a professional coating and only a certified dealer can do it.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 06:39 PM   #5
130FeetDeep
Lieutenant
184
Rep
413
Posts

Drives: BMW X5 M50i
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Northwest North Korea

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavjay View Post
Yes, I looked at that and Gtechniq if I was doing it myself. Revivify is a professional coating and only a certified dealer can do it.
I have been detailing show cars for a couple of decades. All I can say is that the "only professionals can do it" is generally a sales pitch. I remember when the dealer was trying to sell "teflon" coatings to new car buyers. The funny thing is that teflon doesn't adhere to paint unless the car is baked at a ridiculous temp.

All I am saying is be careful of the "only professional coating" stuff.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 08:05 PM   #6
mavjay
Enlisted Member
11
Rep
41
Posts

Drives: 2020 BMW X5
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 130FeetDeep View Post
I have been detailing show cars for a couple of decades. All I can say is that the "only professionals can do it" is generally a sales pitch. I remember when the dealer was trying to sell "teflon" coatings to new car buyers. The funny thing is that teflon doesn't adhere to paint unless the car is baked at a ridiculous temp.

All I am saying is be careful of the "only professional coating" stuff.

Fair enough. I wouldn't consider it if the price wasn't so close. If I bought gtechniq its going to be around $160-$180 plus my time. My guy is willing to do the professional one for $300 and I don't have to do anything.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 08:56 PM   #7
130FeetDeep
Lieutenant
184
Rep
413
Posts

Drives: BMW X5 M50i
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Northwest North Korea

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavjay View Post
Fair enough. I wouldn't consider it if the price wasn't so close. If I bought gtechniq its going to be around $160-$180 plus my time. My guy is willing to do the professional one for $300 and I don't have to do anything.
Jump on that price! Is he doing any paint correction prior? How many coats? I always recommend paint correction first because the ceramic is just displaying the prep work underneath.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 09:48 PM   #8
mavjay
Enlisted Member
11
Rep
41
Posts

Drives: 2020 BMW X5
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 130FeetDeep View Post
Jump on that price! Is he doing any paint correction prior? How many coats? I always recommend paint correction first because the ceramic is just displaying the prep work underneath.

Kind of thought so. It's only one coat. However, the products one coat is about 3-5 microns which is more than ceramic pros 3 layer supposedly. Appealing part is the self having too. He's already done a paint correction on it.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 10:18 PM   #9
130FeetDeep
Lieutenant
184
Rep
413
Posts

Drives: BMW X5 M50i
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Northwest North Korea

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavjay View Post
Kind of thought so. It's only one coat. However, the products one coat is about 3-5 microns which is more than ceramic pros 3 layer supposedly. Appealing part is the self having too. He's already done a paint correction on it.
That is a no brainer then to get it done. 3 - 5 microns is solid. Most of the OTC stuff is about 1 - 1.5 microns because it makes it easier to work with during flash.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 12:30 AM   #10
mavjay
Enlisted Member
11
Rep
41
Posts

Drives: 2020 BMW X5
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 130FeetDeep View Post
That is a no brainer then to get it done. 3 - 5 microns is solid. Most of the OTC stuff is about 1 - 1.5 microns because it makes it easier to work with during flash.
Thanks for your input.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 08:14 AM   #11
SCardamon
Private
SCardamon's Avatar
United_States
20
Rep
94
Posts

Drives: 2019 330i
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Austin

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 130FeetDeep View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavjay View Post
Hi,

What are your opinions on ceramic coatings? Worth it? Or should I just do maintenance and waxing say 2 times a year?

Anyone used Revivify Coatings?
After doing a lot of research I ended up with CQuartz UK 3.0. Definitely worth the time. Depth is on par with carnuba with durability. The water utterly sheets off the car.
Just purchased the same (CQuartz UK) and about to coat both my G05 and G20 - any experience on whether the gloss black trim prices handle the coating well or should I avoid?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 08:25 AM   #12
zjaiz
Private First Class
zjaiz's Avatar
United_States
132
Rep
127
Posts

Drives: F95 X5MComp
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: queens nyc

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavjay View Post
Hi,

What are your opinions on ceramic coatings? Worth it? Or should I just do maintenance and waxing say 2 times a year?

Anyone used Revivify Coatings?
following this thread as well.. pros and cons.. can you get just the ceramic coating without the paint protection wrap (ppf).. thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 08:36 AM   #13
mavjay
Enlisted Member
11
Rep
41
Posts

Drives: 2020 BMW X5
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCardamon View Post
Just purchased the same (CQuartz UK) and about to coat both my G05 and G20 - any experience on whether the gloss black trim prices handle the coating well or should I avoid?
To my knowledge you should be fine. If you’re concerned you could use CQuartz Dlux on trim pieces and wheels.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 08:38 AM   #14
mavjay
Enlisted Member
11
Rep
41
Posts

Drives: 2020 BMW X5
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjaiz View Post
following this thread as well.. pros and cons.. can you get just the ceramic coating without the paint protection wrap (ppf).. thanks in advance
You definitely can apply the coating without paint protection wrap. I only have my front end wrapped
Appreciate 1
zjaiz132.00

      05-17-2020, 03:26 PM   #15
130FeetDeep
Lieutenant
184
Rep
413
Posts

Drives: BMW X5 M50i
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Northwest North Korea

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCardamon View Post
Just purchased the same (CQuartz UK) and about to coat both my G05 and G20 - any experience on whether the gloss black trim prices handle the coating well or should I avoid?
Yes on the gloss trim or just use reload on them. I did the roof rails as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 05:43 PM   #16
zjaiz
Private First Class
zjaiz's Avatar
United_States
132
Rep
127
Posts

Drives: F95 X5MComp
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: queens nyc

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavjay View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by zjaiz View Post
following this thread as well.. pros and cons.. can you get just the ceramic coating without the paint protection wrap (ppf).. thanks in advance
You definitely can apply the coating without paint protection wrap. I only have my front end wrapped
wish i can do it but myself.. but have no knowledge and gadgets and time to do it lol to save me $$$
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 10:10 AM   #17
randybobandy
Rick James
randybobandy's Avatar
282
Rep
770
Posts

Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

I have it, and it seems great, but it doesn't really protect in my opinion. What's nice is the ease of washing. I get a butt load of pollen up here...if I keep up with the coating....it all comes off when I drive down the road or with a simple wash.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 12:12 AM   #18
jlspeed29
Major
jlspeed29's Avatar
350
Rep
1,355
Posts

Drives: F80 SO ZCP CCB
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Somewhere along PCH...

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 335 coupe  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by randybobandy View Post
I have it, and it seems great, but it doesn't really protect in my opinion. What's nice is the ease of washing. I get a butt load of pollen up here...if I keep up with the coating....it all comes off when I drive down the road or with a simple wash.

correct it doesnt protect against chips and road hazards. I'd say it protects mainly against routine washes and swirl marks and makes routine maintenance easier
__________________
A fisherman always sees another fisherman from afar
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 11:30 AM   #19
randybobandy
Rick James
randybobandy's Avatar
282
Rep
770
Posts

Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

jlspeed29 agreed. It definitely makes washing easier and much more satisfying with the cascading effect!
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 01:14 PM   #20
BMW_Cyprus
Private
Cyprus
43
Rep
91
Posts

Drives: Looking forward to G05 X5
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Nicosia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjaiz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavjay View Post
Hi,

What are your opinions on ceramic coatings? Worth it? Or should I just do maintenance and waxing say 2 times a year?

Anyone used Revivify Coatings?
following this thread as well.. pros and cons.. can you get just the ceramic coating without the paint protection wrap (ppf).. thanks in advance
Ceramic coating and PPF are two totally different things meant to address different needs. You can get one or the other or both. Entirely a price and need subject.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 07:22 PM   #21
Mo2002
Private First Class
Mo2002's Avatar
62
Rep
130
Posts

Drives: 2021 X5M
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: FL

iTrader: (0)

I've had CQuartz Professional on the M3 for 3 years now and I love it. I've seen ceramic coatings on other cars and no where near durable as CQuartz. Def worth it in my opinion. On my other cars, I used to break my back every month with waxing. No need to do that here. Def going with CQuartz Professional or Finest Reserve on my next car.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:27 AM.




xbimmers
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST