BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-20-2020, 08:54 AM   #1
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

M50i "true" exhaust tips - install w/ pics & measurements

I won't take you through the embarrassingly long process this has been, or the FOUR different sets I've ordered..... or the 3 companies that screwed me and took weeks to provide a refund..... or the first set I ordered before I even took possession of the car, that didn't fit right because the measurements were wrong, so one of them fell off while driving. All in all, this has been a 5-month ordeal for me.

Exhaust tips on an M50i are NOT just a matter of "finding the right size".

First things first...... the final product. I'm QUITE pleased with it. The measurements are SPOT-ON, and I love the way it looks. If you want to see what I had to do to get it..... keep reading.
Attached Images

6-Piston X5M Big Brake Kit:https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1779038

Last edited by Ninefourteener; 07-04-2020 at 10:00 AM..
Appreciate 3
Bandit-X111.50
radmjk238.00
      06-20-2020, 08:55 AM   #2
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep

First things first..... the problems.

1) the exhaust hangs too low, and isn't centered between the top and the bottom of the exhaust shroud.

2) what EXACTLY are the right size tips that will fit through the exhaust shroud without rattling?

Let's start with problem #1:

While the OEM exhaust hangers are the right length from post to post..... they stretch. They are 38mm when compressed, but when stretched.... they are nearly 50mm..... which is why the exhaust hangs too low. My car only has 5000 miles on it, so even new, they stretch considerably.
Attached Images

Last edited by Ninefourteener; 06-20-2020 at 10:03 AM..
Appreciate 2
Addbuyer826.50
      06-20-2020, 08:56 AM   #3
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep

So the solution...... was these grimmspeed hardened poly exhaust hangers. Also 38mm from post to post...... with a 12mm post hole. Although, I believe the OEM BMW posts are 10.5mm. 12mm holes worked fine though.

These however..... will not stretch like the OEM rubber hangers.

Notice that they look exactly the same when weighted (not stretched)... and after installed, they center the pipes nicely between the top and bottom of the exhaust shroud.
Attached Images

Last edited by Ninefourteener; 06-20-2020 at 10:05 AM..
Appreciate 2
Addbuyer826.50
      06-20-2020, 09:10 AM   #4
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep

Now...... what size tips to buy?

The OEM exhaust pipe size is 60mm, or 2.36 inches.

I ended up buying a 57mm ID (2.25") tip...... but then stretched it with a pipe expander

The OD of the exit of the tip can be NO MORE than 3.1 inches... MAX. Otherwise, the tips will contact one another.

The overall length.of my tips was 6 inches. Had I purchased 60mm/2.36" inlet tips, I could have squeezed them on a little further..... maybe 1 inch. The length.of the tips.can be NO MORE than 7 inches.
Attached Images

Last edited by Ninefourteener; 06-20-2020 at 09:57 AM..
Appreciate 1
Addbuyer826.50
      06-20-2020, 09:15 AM   #5
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep

Now.... because I was only able to get the tips on the pipe about 3/4 inch...... I welded instead of clamped.

Also..... I noticed that when I safety-wired my exhaust flapper valves open about a month ago, one of them had developed a slight rattle. Might as well weld that permanently too.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      06-20-2020, 09:20 AM   #6
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep

Last post..... So here's what you need:

1) 2x hardened poly exhaust hangers, with a 35-38mm distance between holes, and 10.5mm holes.

2) 4x exhaust tips
Inlet ID 60mm or 2.36 inches (exactly)
Oulet OD 79mm or 3.1 inches (max)
Overall length 5.5 to 7 inches

3) A welder

4) Patience.

Good luck. Thanks for reading.

Last edited by Ninefourteener; 07-04-2020 at 09:48 AM..
Appreciate 6
arciga181726.00
radmjk238.00
Rik762129.00
thezarb14.00
HDEddie1120.00
      06-20-2020, 10:03 AM   #7
UltraDave
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninefourteener View Post
Last post..... So here's what you need:

1) 2x hardened poly exhaust hangers, with a 38mm distance between holes, and 10.5mm holes.

2) 4x exhaust tips
Inlet ID 60mm or 2.36 inches
Oulet OD 79mm or 3.1 inches
Overall length 5.5 to 7 inches

3) A welder

4) Patience.

Good luck. Thanks for reading.
Can you provide the supplier for the tips? Also can you get them in black chrome? Maybe I should have a muffler shop do the welding if the screw claps don’t work?

Also I think it would look sharp if you had the lower bumper wrapped in gloss black or white instead of the dark grey.
Appreciate 1
      06-20-2020, 10:14 AM   #8
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraDave View Post
Can you provide the supplier for the tips? Also can you get them in black chrome? Maybe I should have a muffler shop do the welding if the screw claps don’t work?

Also I think it would look sharp if you had the lower bumper wrapped in gloss black or white instead of the dark grey.
Don't buy the tips I bought. They were 57mm (2.25") ID. Too small. I had to stretch them to 60mm. Incidentally, the first set I bought months ago was a 2.5" ID..... and they fell off because they wouldn't seat correctly. You MUST get the right size ID.

Clamps would work..... but I'm telling you, I had a hard time getting a stick welder in there. Trying to reach clamps with tools would be a nightmare.

Your best bet, is to do an eBay/Amazon search, for 60mm or 2.36 inch exhaust tips. (2.36" seems to be unique to BMW). Then, scroll through and find one with a 3-inch OD..... then make sure it's no more than 7" long.

Most tips with the right ID..... will be a 3.5" exit OD. That is too large. They won't fit through the exhaust shroud. Be careful...... read descriptions closely.

Here is an example of a PERFECTLY sized tip..... but it's not the color you want. They DO exist.... you just have to read the descriptions carefully, and put some effort into searching for exactly the "look" you want. Too many choices, colors, styles, manufacturers to choose from to link a specific one. The measurements are what is important.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chrome-Car-....m46890.l49292

I actually removed the white diffuser panel and installed an OEM black one..... because I didn't like the way the hitch stood out as a "black hole" in the middle of it. That was intentional. I am considering having both the diffuser and the upper bumper panel repainted in gloss black though, to match the shadow line trim.

Last edited by Ninefourteener; 06-20-2020 at 10:33 AM..
Appreciate 2
      06-20-2020, 01:29 PM   #9
Addbuyer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3MC

All that determination has paid off, it looks the dogs. I just don’t understand why BMW have made the standard M50i’s tips look so pathetic Of course the X5 Comp has to look the nuts but why the huge cavern between the M50i and the Comp
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2020, 01:36 PM   #10
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addbuyer View Post
All that determination has paid off, it looks the dogs. I just don’t understand why BMW have made the standard M50i’s tips look so pathetic Of course the X5 Comp has to look the nuts but why the huge cavern between the M50i and the Comp
I believe the X5M "has" to look miles better than anything else. Otherwise, they'd never sell any. Quite frankly, I don't think it's any better of a car...... minus the aggressive looks.

I actually considered removing the exhaust shroud entirely, torching the pipes, separating them, and going with a set of 4" tips..... but that would be irreversible. And, I actually don't think it would look right with that style of bumper anyway.

Figuring a way to get tips to stick "through" the existing shroud..... without rattling on the shroud itself, was my goal. It worked
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 05:08 AM   #11
Addbuyer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraDave View Post

Possibility?

60 x 76 x 160

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32810362529.html

Or

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/153970645...&ul_noapp=true

Last edited by Addbuyer; 06-21-2020 at 05:25 AM..
Appreciate 1
UltraDave127.00
      06-21-2020, 05:51 AM   #12
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep

Quote:
Either one of those would be great choices. Both would fit nicely. I prefer the first..... but, personal preference. Keep in mind, you "may" need to do a little "tapping" with a rubber mallet. I would be weary of tapping on that CF with anything.

That carbon set... also says "3.5" in the title.... but 3-inches in the description. I don't trust the Chinese, so be sure of what you are buying. 3.5 OD exit is too large.

Also...Don't forget though.... you need a 35-38mm set of hard polyurothane exhaust hangers.

If you install those tips with the exhaust hanging low and wobbly like it does from the factory, they are going to wobble, rattle, and possibly break off.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 06:12 AM   #13
Addbuyer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Either one of those would be great choices. Both would fit nicely. I prefer the first..... but, personal preference. Keep in mind, you "may" need to do a little "tapping" with a rubber mallet. I would be weary of tapping on that CF with anything.

That carbon set... also says "3.5" in the title.... but 3-inches in the description. I don't trust the Chinese, so be sure of what you are buying. 3.5 OD exit is too large.

Also...Don't forget though.... you need a 35-38mm set of hard polyurothane exhaust hangers.

If you install those tips with the exhaust hanging low and wobbly like it does from the factory, they are going to wobble, rattle, and possibly break off.
Great advice, instructions and pictures for the installation mate. I am certain it will help many. In my opinion its a mod that improves the look immensely. I am interested in what Supersprint or others will bring to marked by the end of the year, but in the mean time, should I or shouldn’t I

For anyone who hasn’t got access to a welder or is nervous about using one then there’s always liquid metal which gives great results and would allow plenty time to adjust the tips before they sets.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 06:44 AM   #14
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Great advice, instructions and pictures for the installation mate. I am certain it will help many. In my opinion its a mod that improves the look emencly. I am interested in what Supersprint or others will bring to marked by the end of the year, but in the mean time, should I or shouldn't I

For anyone who hasn't got access to a welder or is nervous about using one then there's always liquid metal which gives great results and would allow plenty time to adjust the tips before they sets.
I'm seeing a lot of 2.5" inlet options here in the states. Is it possible to buy a shim/adapter to make up the 1/8" difference? Or do you just keep tightening the clamps until it holds?

Also, does anyone have experience with AliExpress and shipping to US? Nervous dropping $200 bucks on them since I've never used them.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 08:02 AM   #15
atlas
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F10 535i, M2 LCI, G05 X5 40i

Hmmm... I wonder if I could find tips with single inlets and dual outlets for my 40i...
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 08:58 AM   #16
Addbuyer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTENGR View Post
I'm seeing a lot of 2.5" inlet options here in the states. Is it possible to buy a shim/adapter to make up the 1/8" difference? Or do you just keep tightening the clamps until it holds?

Also, does anyone have experience with AliExpress and shipping to US? Nervous dropping $200 bucks on them since I've never used them.
I had a company on AliExpress make some puddle lights to my design (SQ5) and couldn’t fault them or the price. BUT, I guess it depend who you deal with, there are so many sellers of every product you care to mention and you have your good and bad ones. From memory I think there was or is a type of response review or counter that relates to how the company replies to customers
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 09:28 AM   #17
UltraDave
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTENGR View Post

I had a bad experience purchasing on Aliexpress and wouldn’t do it again. The dispute process sucks and you will never get to speak with an actual person. If you want to send something back you will have to pay the ridiculous amounts for shipping even if it was already broken. Only the seller will message you and then there is the problem of them not being good at speaking English. The prices for products look good on their site. However, this is one of those life lessons where you get what you pay for.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 10:09 AM   #18
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep

Quote:
Great advice, instructions and pictures for the installation mate. I am certain it will help many.

For anyone who hasn’t got access to a welder or is nervous about using one then there’s always liquid metal which gives great results and would allow plenty time to adjust the tips before they sets.
Thanks!

I chose to weld, because my fitment was so tight. My tips were 57mm, and I stretched them to 60mm, but I was only able to get them on about 3/4 of an inch.

Technically, I bought the wrong size. But, it was the 4th set I bought, and I wasn't about to go through that again. I made them work.

Had I bought the right size (60mm)...... I would have been able to slide them on considerably further. I would not have needed to weld. A clamp would have been just fine. Admittedly though, tough to reach with tools.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 11:53 AM   #19
Addbuyer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas View Post
Hmmm... I wonder if I could find tips with single inlets and dual outlets for my 40i...
Having spent an hour searching for those that I posted earlier, I am certain there are single 60mm into twin tips out there. I saw loads but obviously skipped through.

Failing that and for anyone who might want some without logo etc, maybe this seller is worth messaging?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AKRAPOVIC...YAAOSwc1BetDql
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 01:15 PM   #20
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep

Quote:
Having spent an hour searching for those that I posted earlier, I am certain there are single 60mm into twin tips out there. I saw loads but obviously skipped through.
I don't know that other models use the same size exhaust tubing. This post was specific to the M50i. 40i cars, 30i cars, and maybe even standard 50i cars may have completely different sizing.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2020, 03:35 AM   #21
Addbuyer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I don't know that other models use the same size exhaust tubing. This post was specific to the M50i. 40i cars, 30i cars, and maybe even standard 50i cars may have completely different sizing.
Having had the resonator and secondary cats removed, I am now looking at improving the looks i.e. this exhaust tip mod. Luckily I measured the existing first and mine are coming in at 64mm
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2020, 07:11 AM   #22
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep

Quote:
Having had the resonator and secondary cats removed, I am now looking at improving the looks i.e. this exhaust tip mod. Luckily I measured the existing first and mine are coming in at 64mm
It's difficult to get a good measurement from outside the car. That was one of the main reasons that the first set I bought was too large.

Remove the panel (it's only 6 or 7 8-mm bolts if I recall, and use a precise measurement tool to measure the actual diameter of each pipe.

Perhaps there were differences in various models? Either way, don't buy anything until you've done an accurate measurement from underneath the car with a digital tool.
Appreciate 0