BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-30-2020, 11:54 PM   #1
kkratochvil
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW, X6, M50i

A/C Stopped Working - X6, M50i (N63/S63 A/C Issues)

I know there are several threads out here, across multiple boards as this is being seen across X5M, X6M, M850i and X5/X6 M50i’s. (I would guess X7, M50i's as well, but I haven't seen a thread with one...)

Here’s are the threads I’ve read (and there are links to others in some of these…):
- A/C randomly “stop cooling” intermittently for a few seconds?
- Nightmare story of my M50 finally showing up. Recommendations?
- Annoying Issue with A/C not cooling consistently

I’ve felt that I've noticed the A/C not working quite right a number of times, but have blamed it on me reading the threads out here where people were reporting the issue and I was "looking" for the problem. However, today was much different!! Here's my quick rundown:
- X6, M50i. Production date was 3/24/20 (squeezed in right before the plant shutdown in Spartanburg). Delivery date was 3/28/20
- I'm at approximately 2,300 miles on the odometer
- Original iDrive SW was 11/2019.55. It was upgraded to 03/2020.58 on 6/19/20 while BMW Tech was troubleshooting an issue I was having with the driver's side SurroundView camera
- As noted above, I'd felt like there were a few times where I might have been seeing some intermittent issues with the A/C, but I blamed it on "knowing too much" from reading this forum! Also, it hasn't been that hot in the Midwest until the past few weeks...
- Today, I went out to grab lunch. A/C worked perfectly. Returned home, vehicle sat for a few hours and I ran out for a couple of errands. First stop was a couple of miles away. A/C worked fine. Stop was 45 minutes and vehicle was turned off. I fired it up to head to my second stop and I had no A/C for the entire trip of about 20 minutes. I played with all of the settings, turned AC on/off, tried ‘Max AC’, etc. Nothing changed it blowing just hot air out of all vents.
- I took it out late this evening after sitting for a few hours, just to check again before shooting an email off to my local dealer SA and still nothing. It just blows hot air…

I’ll update as I know more…I have read the threads across this and the other forums and repeatedly read where there is apparently a TSB/SIB published, but couldn’t find anyone that listed the # or details. Anyone have it?

While it seems like there’s some thinking that for many, the failed compressor has shown up early, mine might be a case where it took awhile. (But, given it was pretty cold here in April and much of May, the A/C just started getting a workout a few hundred miles ago…)

Also, some thought that there are a couple of problems, I’d conjecture that it’s quite possible that continued intermittent problems might lead to the compressor failures. At least, it feels like that might be the case for me. However, I’ve not had it looked at yet. Hopefully, my dealer can get it in quickly…)

Again, I'll update as I get more detail...While I know that forums like this always make it seem like everyone is having the problem, it's usually just a few. However, it does seem like quite a few N63/S63 owners are seeing A/C compressor issues...

Last edited by kkratochvil; 06-30-2020 at 11:59 PM.. Reason: Adding additional link to another forum post.
Appreciate 3
      07-01-2020, 11:24 AM   #2
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Sorry to hear. Sounds like your is gone too. My X5M was built the same week as yours. Once the compressor went out it never came back. It blows nothing but warm air no matter what setting its on.

I really hope that BMW got under this issue and figured out if ithis was a design problem with the compressor or did the vendor they used screwed up. I would be pissed if they replaced my faulty AC compressor just with another one that fails within a few weeks/months.
      07-01-2020, 12:18 PM   #3
kkratochvil
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
Sorry to hear. Sounds like your is gone too. My X5M was built the same week as yours. Once the compressor went out it never came back. It blows nothing but warm air no matter what setting its on.

I really hope that BMW got under this issue and figured out if ithis was a design problem with the compressor or did the vendor they used screwed up. I would be pissed if they replaced my faulty AC compressor just with another one that fails within a few weeks/months.
Thanks. I hope you get yours resolved in your X5M soon as well.

I was thinking the same thing as I read through the threads last night...Why do we think a new compressor is going to resolve the issue if they're still rolling vehicles off the line with failing compressors?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2020, 12:38 PM   #4
doctorttt
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 G06

Out of curiosity, how does the compressor look like and where is it located?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2020, 01:51 PM   #5
Alan l.
Major General
Rep

Looks like this and its usually at the front, bottom part of the engine.

07-01-2020, 05:10 PM   #6
nvsocr7
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

this has been happening to me lately. will be taking it to the dealer soon, they haven't heard of anyone else having problems but it's only just started getting warm here.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2020, 05:18 PM   #7
kkratochvil
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I have an appt. to take in my X6 tomorrow so that they can hopefully make an initial diagnosis. I'll report what I find out.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2020, 09:56 PM   #8
Alan l.
Major General
Rep

Just tell them there should be a service bulletin out from BMW so they can look it up. If not tell them to look up if they can obtain a AC compressor and they should see how many are on back order in the US and Germany then back track to the bulletin.

When i brought my car in the tech took less than 30mins to diagnosis and do all of his checks before giving me back the car.
      07-01-2020, 10:11 PM   #9
Alan l.
Major General
Rep

Also wanted to add the shop foreman said BMW recommended changing the AC compressor as well as some other parts because metal shavings from the failed compressor could have made its way to those parts.
      07-01-2020, 10:20 PM   #10
kkratochvil
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Also wanted to add the shop foreman said BMW recommended changing the AC compressor as well as some other parts because metal shavings from the failed compressor could have made its way to those parts.
Thanks for the added detail! Appreciate it. (I'd actually read that note over in your post in the X5M forum...)

Honestly, I think replacing the compressor and the coil unit and piping is becoming pretty regular with A/C system replacement these days. I had to replace the unit on an old 2006 Honda Pilot recently and they've gone to it even with those units. Essentially, it's become a "closed system" and you replace all of it, due to the exact reasons you posted, where there's metal that can get in the coils and they've become so fine that there is no such thing as flushing them, etc.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2020, 07:25 AM   #11
Buddym850icoupe
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M850i coupe, C43amg sedan

So add me to the list... Built 3/2020... x5 m50i. First time it did it was with 45 miles on. Second time on the way back from Austin in 95 degree weather with about 500 miles. It did not work for about 1 hour and then all of a sudden started working and worked all the way back. Now with 1100 miles on its consistently not working... kinda crazy that this is happening on these cars!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2020, 05:17 PM   #12
kkratochvil
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Sorry to year you had the same problem Buddym850icoupe.

I totally agree this shouldn't be happening for any of us. For BMW, it seems like a significant problem, as it's happening predominantly on $85K+ vehicles, with it happening on the V8's...So, they really should be stepping up.

So, I did get mine in to my dealer on 7/2. Quick synopsis is a failed compressor. Compressor is on backorder. As of Thursday, 7/2, there wasn't a compressor available in the US. Germany parts center was expecting a shipment to arrive today (7/5). My dealer is expecting to have one in 7/10 business days.

I attached a snapshot of the diagnosis below...I'm not sure they actually connected it to the TSB/SIB that @Alan I mentioned. I may push that a little further with the Service Manager this week. Just want to make sure they fix things correctly.

I did have a chance to follow-up with the Service Manager of my dealer's sister store (Mercedes, across the parking lot), who I know quite well, as I asked him: "How do I politely push/confirm that the next compressor isn't going to fail as well?". He checked with the BMW Parts Manager and as it turns out, the new compressor is a new part #.

We can probably debate whether a new part # means that it's a "bad batch" or of it was in-fact a bad design or supplier. My thought is that the new part # means it's a flawed design/supplier, rather than a "bad batch" and they're now replacing with a different compressor.

I'll call BMWNA Customer Relations this week to complain about the quality of the vehicle...trying to push them to do something. (This is actually my 3rd issue with my G06. The first 2 were very small...) Given they know it's a part that is failing repeatedly, they've likely gone to a new supplier/design, they should have had more parts pre-positioned in the US (and elsewhere...). They're obviously going to keep failing...
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      07-13-2020, 11:45 AM   #13
kkratochvil
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Update: I reached out to my dealership this morning and the new compressor arrived this morning. So, it was around 11 calendar days from ordering to get the part in.

Take my X6 in tomorrow to have the compressor replaced...I'm still a little leary that they're going to find they need to replace the compressor too, as that's what others have reported, but will wait and see.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 12:47 PM   #14
Alan l.
Major General
Rep

Mine just went in this morning for the AC compressor work. Trying to get my tech to confirm if the new compressor is indeed a new part number.
      07-13-2020, 01:53 PM   #15
stevem12t2
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 50i

I had this exact same issue with my X5 which was a 2019 MY. It happened to me right away. The same thing i noticed was that it worked ok almost all of the time but if i shut down the car for a short time and then got back in. For example at a gas station it would not work the entire trip from there. Get back in after letting the car sit for 1+ hours and the AC was back. I can not recall if they finally changed a part but with software updates and a few since that. I am currently on 03/2020.58 and haven't had this issue re-appear. I did however have a green oily flid leak under the car twice and finally found a small crack in the lower radiator and that was changed about a month ago.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 09:02 PM   #16
kkratochvil
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Update: I had my X6 in today for the compressor replacement. I attached a picture of the results. They only replaced the compressor and a couple of seals. It's a fairly short drive home, but A/C worked well. Ahhhh...

The part # of the new A/C compressor is: 64-52-6-822-848. In looking at GetBMWParts.com (A/C Compressor), it looks like the old compressor part # was: 64-52-9-380-568.

Time will tell if they should have replaced the condenser as well, as they are doing in some similar situations...

So presumably, if you're one of the many with this situation on your N63/S63 engine, you'd want to be sure that you're getting the new part #.

Also, I called BMW NA Customer Relations yesterday to lodge a formal complaint of their handling of the A/C situation. This was the third time (over a couple of years now...) that I'd called Customer Relations and it was by far the most apologetic and positive call I've had with them...The first person, who typically walks you through the ringer in terms of basically saying (Are you sure you have a legitimate problem?), did little more than take down my information and asked me what sort of reparation I thought would be fair. I threw them a couple of ideas (after thinking about it and stammering for a bit, so if your call BMW NA, be sure to know what you think you'd ask for before calling!) and they noted those and I got a call from a manager about 4 hours later. That person asked me a few more confirming questions, including verifying the reparation ideas I'd suggested and said I'd hear more in 5 days.

As compared to my previous calls, I think I have a decent chance of getting something...
Attached Images

Last edited by kkratochvil; 07-14-2020 at 09:09 PM.. Reason: Added some additional detail.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 09:24 PM   #17
Alan l.
Major General
Rep

Glad you got the car back but that's the same part number that is currently installed on our cars now from what I gathered. The other number you listed is a old one but was replaced several years ago.

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/par...4-52-9-380-568

I hope my car will be done tomorrow and I'll get more info from the tech then.
      07-14-2020, 09:29 PM   #18
X5Guy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5

Are the x5 40i having ac problems also?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 09:35 PM   #19
kkratochvil
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5Guy View Post
Are the x5 40i having ac problems also?
I do not believe so...the bulk of the problems seems to be with the N63/S63 V8 engines found in the M50i's (including vehicles like the M850i, X5/X6 M50i's and then the X5M, X6M, M8 and others...)
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 09:43 PM   #20
kkratochvil
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Glad you got the car back but that's the same part number that is currently installed on our cars now from what I gathered. The other number you listed is a old one but was replaced several years ago.

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/par...4-52-9-380-568

I hope my car will be done tomorrow and I'll get more info from the tech then.
Well, that would be a bummer, as that would mean we're back to the question of: "What makes anyone think this compressor won't fail in the same fashion as the last one?"

I look forward to what you can uncover. I know it's also one of the things that I asked the BMW NA Customer Relations folks to answer...the persons initial answer was: "Well, any further issues would be covered under warranty." My response was that I understand and appreciate that, but I'm looking to understand how they can demonstrate that I'm not waiting to be inconvenienced again.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 11:44 AM   #21
Alan l.
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkratochvil View Post
Well, that would be a bummer, as that would mean we're back to the question of: "What makes anyone think this compressor won't fail in the same fashion as the last one?"

I look forward to what you can uncover. I know it's also one of the things that I asked the BMW NA Customer Relations folks to answer...the persons initial answer was: "Well, any further issues would be covered under warranty." My response was that I understand and appreciate that, but I'm looking to understand how they can demonstrate that I'm not waiting to be inconvenienced again.
Following up on what i found out. Just got off the phone with the tech working on my car and he was concerned when he pulled the compressor off my X5M and it had the same part number as the replacement compressor that BMW sent as a replacement so he reached out the regional rep and this is what he was told. The part number is the same but the "index" number is different confirming that internally something was updated. My tech confirmed that my old compressor had the same part number but at the end there was a dash "01" on it while the new replacement one has "02" on it instead. I should have my car back this Wednesday so I'll know more then.

Alan
      07-20-2020, 12:27 PM   #22
kkratochvil
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Following up on what i found out. Just got off the phone with the tech working on my car and he was concerned when he pulled the compressor off my X5M and it had the same part number as the replacement compressor that BMW sent as a replacement so he reached out the regional rep and this is what he was told. The part number is the same but the "index" number is different confirming that internally something was updated. My tech confirmed that my old compressor had the same part number but at the end there was a dash "01" on it while the new replacement one has "02" on it instead. I should have my car back this Wednesday so I'll know more then.

Alan
That would certainly be good news that they've changed "something" with the compressors. I re-looked at my paperwork and don't see any indication of an Index #. However, given that I had to wait for the compressor to come from Germany and BMW was waiting on the supplier to get them in Germany, it should hopefully mean they're not replacing any with the old version (Index 01).

Look forward to hear anything more you can provide! Thanks!!
Appreciate 0