BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-09-2020, 03:53 AM   #1
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla MY LR AWD

Highway exit assistant behaviour aka Active Lane Guidance

Is anyone using the new lane change with active route guidance, either via coding or on a MY21 car?

I'm trying to determine if my experience is by design, or due to a misconfiguration. I suspect the former, but want to rule out the latter.

With an active navigation route set, the car will advise when it's time to leave the highway/motorway. it does this by wiggling the steering wheel, presents a message in the HUD to move lanes, AND by slowing the vehicle. It encourages the driver to use the auto-lane change feature by pressing the indicator when prompted.

If it's a 3+ lane highway and you are in the furthest most lane from the exit, then this process kicks in earlier than if in the 2nd lane or 1st lane. It can be up to 2 miles prior to the exit. This is a negative experience as you don't want the car slowing in the fast lane 1.5 miles from your exit!

I suspect they are prepping for a fully autonomous system which will move the vehicle off automatically. I can understand that an early manoeuvre would make sense in that scenario as the car can't tell how difficult it will be to get across the lanes of traffic prior to the exit, so it takes a low risk approach by moving the car across very early.

As it stands IMO the system is worse than useless, but would be interested to hear of other experiences.

Last edited by ifr; 01-06-2021 at 03:47 AM..
Appreciate 1
Almaretto2374.00
      12-09-2020, 08:10 AM   #2
Burnt C6
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3 M40i

I pretty much turned all the nanny controls off on ours.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2020, 09:48 AM   #3
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Signaling to driver (or autonomously starting the maneuver) early the further you are from the exit lane makes perfect sense. Slowing down in this case is idiotic. In fact, slowing down significantly before you are ON the actual off-ramp is dangerous, so what you describe sounds either like a bug or utter incompetence. I can never tell which it ever is with BMW.
      12-09-2020, 09:54 AM   #4
Stoshu
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 M50i

I have not noticed any of these in my MY 21 X5 M50i. I do get the lane change indications in the HUD with a Triangle showing my current lane with arrows showing were I “should” be.

BTW - I love the adaptive cruise control and the lane assist, just takes some getting used to if your new to them. I wouldn’t own a car without them now.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2020, 10:38 AM   #5
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
Signaling to driver (or autonomously starting the maneuver) early the further you are from the exit lane makes perfect sense. Slowing down in this case is idiotic. In fact, slowing down significantly before you are ON the actual off-ramp is dangerous, so what you describe sounds either like a bug or utter incompetence. I can never tell which it ever is with BMW.
I thought it was a bug, but I think it's trying to ensure its travelling at the same speed as the traffic in the lane it intends to move into. Similar to the auto lane change.

Terrible user experience
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2020, 10:40 AM   #6
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoshu View Post
I have not noticed any of these in my MY 21 X5 M50i. I do get the lane change indications in the HUD with a Triangle showing my current lane with arrows showing were I “should” be.

BTW - I love the adaptive cruise control and the lane assist, just takes some getting used to if your new to them. I wouldn’t own a car without them now.
Yeah it's disabled for the USA type cars, which will exclude Canada as well I guess. You're not missing anything in its current iteration.
Appreciate 1
Stoshu494.00
      12-09-2020, 10:41 AM   #7
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifr View Post
Quote:
I thought it was a bug, but I think it's trying to ensure its travelling at the same speed as the traffic in the lane it intends to move into. Similar to the auto lane change.

Terrible user experience
Posted speed or actual speed? If actual speed, I can see what they are thinking (defensive driving theory says accelerate rather than decelerate into all lane changes, however).
      12-09-2020, 11:30 AM   #8
Stoshu
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 M50i

Quote:
Yeah it's disabled for the USA type cars, which will exclude Canada as well I guess. You're not missing anything in its current iteration.
Good to know they’re looking out for us in the good old U.S.A.!
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2020, 11:42 AM   #9
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Posted speed or actual speed? If actual speed, I can see what they are thinking (defensive driving theory says accelerate rather than decelerate into all lane changes, however).
actual speed. so can be quite a deceleration.
Appreciate 1
LexxM31698.50
      12-09-2020, 01:41 PM   #10
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Good to know they're looking out for us in the good old U.S.A.!
Swings and roundabouts.

You guys get extended traffic jam assist and remote start.

We get aSLA, TLA, anti- dazzle, and just for lex - a working reversing camera perspective
Appreciate 1
LexxM31698.50
      01-01-2021, 07:55 PM   #11
garysmith21
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive45e M Sport (ordered)

Quote:
Sorry to hijack this thread but I’ve had my UK G05 for just over a week and this you’ve highlighted is really annoying me and was wondering if anyone has any ideas why my car is doing what it’s doing.

Using navigation I am getting the exact behaviour Stoshu has described - I get a blue triangle showing my current lane and the arrows showing where I “should” be. However I’m in the UK so a motorway (highway) exit is from the left lane which is where my blue triangle is. But the arrows are showing me I “should” be in the right hand lane.

Do I have a setting somewhere I need to change?

I’m glad I don’t actually have Lane Change Assist as the car would be moving me incorrectly to the wrong side of the road!
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 08:12 PM   #12
ChiefOne
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 XDrive 40i

I am experiencing the more than subtle indications by the MY2021 X5 (Texas) when navigation suggested turn approaches. The vehicle slows down considerably, does not initiate a turn by itself, shows all kinds of signs and symbols in the HUD. The same behavior I see when the vehicle is in Cruise Control (No Navigation) and it approaches a sharp bend, or a steep curve.
I have not coded anything, my vehicle came with this feature enabled.
      01-06-2021, 03:42 AM   #13
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysmith21 View Post
Sorry to hijack this thread but I’ve had my UK G05 for just over a week and this you’ve highlighted is really annoying me and was wondering if anyone has any ideas why my car is doing what it’s doing.

Using navigation I am getting the exact behaviour Stoshu has described - I get a blue triangle showing my current lane and the arrows showing where I “should” be. However I’m in the UK so a motorway (highway) exit is from the left lane which is where my blue triangle is. But the arrows are showing me I “should” be in the right hand lane.

Do I have a setting somewhere I need to change?

I’m glad I don’t actually have Lane Change Assist as the car would be moving me incorrectly to the wrong side of the road!
That sounds odd. Mine correctly shows the lane I'm in, and which lane I should be in to take the exit. I'm in the UK too.

If active lane guidance is enabled it shows the first step of a multi-lane change manoeuvre. I doubt you have that feature so yours should just show the target lane. Only works with the BMW navigation enabled.

The auto lane change only works if you press the stalk, so whether the lane guidance is working right or not is irrelevant.

Probably worth taking a pic of it in action to see whats going on.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 03:43 AM   #14
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefOne View Post
I am experiencing the more than subtle indications by the MY2021 X5 (Texas) when navigation suggested turn approaches. The vehicle slows down considerably, does not initiate a turn by itself, shows all kinds of signs and symbols in the HUD. The same behavior I see when the vehicle is in Cruise Control (No Navigation) and it approaches a sharp bend, or a steep curve.
I have not coded anything, my vehicle came with this feature enabled.
That's the normal adapt speed to route option, not the active lane guidance. It's described in this manual (lane change with active route guidance): https://euroncap.blob.core.windows.n...st_section.pdf

You would need to code it, but it's not worth it IMO.
Appreciate 1
      01-06-2021, 04:57 AM   #15
garysmith21
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
That sounds odd. Mine correctly shows the lane I'm in, and which lane I should be in to take the exit. I'm in the UK too.

If active lane guidance is enabled it shows the first step of a multi-lane change manoeuvre. I doubt you have that feature so yours should just show the target lane. Only works with the BMW navigation enabled.

The auto lane change only works if you press the stalk, so whether the lane guidance is working right or not is irrelevant.

Probably worth taking a pic of it in action to see whats going on.
Here’s the only pic I’ve managed to get so far. You can see I’m approaching a junction and I’m in the left lane already (blue triangle) and the guidance at the bottom is showing the right hand lane highlighted.

As I got nearer the junction another arrow appeared showing I should move from where I was to the right hand lane.

This both appeared on the screen and in the HUD.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 05:11 AM   #16
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

That's clearly not right. Does it do that on other motorways? Say the A1M? That junction looks a bit odd with the other road parallel, might be confusing it.

Sometimes the mapping data can be off, but if its consistently 100% suggesting you move off into the right-hand lane to exit on the left then Id take it into the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 09:33 AM   #17
ChiefOne
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That's the normal adapt speed to route option, not the active lane guidance. It's described in this manual (lane change with active route guidance): https://euroncap.blob.core.windows.n...st_section.pdf

You would need to code it, but it's not worth it IMO.
That explains it, thanks!
What threw me off was, even if I am in the rightmost lane approaching an intersection that my navigation is suggesting a right turn from, the vehicle slows down considerably while approaching that intersection. No lane change in the picture, but anticipating a turn as guided by the navigation. If I decide not to turn on the suggested intersection, and keep going straight, the driving assistance disengages briefly and the vehicle speeds up to the set limit while going straight. I have kept it on, for now.
      01-06-2021, 09:55 AM   #18
ChiefOne
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Talking

One more function I discovered yesterday evening while driving on the inner roads. Please forgive me if this has been discussed earlier or at a different post, but as I am discovering these functions, I am getting more and more curious, and want to understand the features before forming an opinion.

When ACC is enabled, if I stop the vehicle by manually pressing the brakes, the ACC disengages, of course. But while the vehicle is standstill, if I reengage ACC by pressing the resume button on the steering wheel, the vehicle continues to stay still if there is no other vehicle in front. At first, I wishfully thought that it is recognizing the red light, but then the same behavior is displayed even when there is no red light and I am stopped at an empty street.
If there is a leading vehicle, then the vehicle starts moving when the leading vehicle moves. Is this a sign of partial availability of TLA by any chance ?
      01-06-2021, 10:41 AM   #19
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
That explains it, thanks!
What threw me off was, even if I am in the rightmost lane approaching an intersection that my navigation is suggesting a right turn from, the vehicle slows down considerably while approaching that intersection. No lane change in the picture, but anticipating a turn as guided by the navigation. If I decide not to turn on the suggested intersection, and keep going straight, the driving assistance disengages briefly and the vehicle speeds up to the set limit while going straight. I have kept it on, for now.
Yes, that's by design unfortunately and cannot be decoupled from the other adaptive route options, like slowing for roundabouts, bends and non-highway junctions, etc.

It's for that reason I rarely use the BMW navigation now. It will still slow if you use the indicators just prior to the target road, but doesn't force you to slow down on motorways for routes you often don't even want to take.

It wouldn't be so bad if the routes it chose were optimal, but most of the time the route selected is bad i.e. not what I know to be the most efficient, and not what tomtom and google maps suggest.
Appreciate 1
      01-06-2021, 10:44 AM   #20
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
One more function I discovered yesterday evening while driving on the inner roads. Please forgive me if this has been discussed earlier or at a different post, but as I am discovering these functions, I am getting more and more curious, and want to understand the features before forming an opinion.

When ACC is enabled, if I stop the vehicle by manually pressing the brakes, the ACC disengages, of course. But while the vehicle is standstill, if I reengage ACC by pressing the resume button on the steering wheel, the vehicle continues to stay still if there is no other vehicle in front. At first, I wishfully thought that it is recognizing the red light, but then the same behavior is displayed even when there is no red light and I am stopped at an empty street.
If there is a leading vehicle, then the vehicle starts moving when the leading vehicle moves. Is this a sign of partial availability of TLA by any chance ?
No it's just the normal assisted driving.

Even 'full' TLA doesn't resume the car driving when the light changes to green, if you are the lead stationary vehicle. That's too high risk. It just beeps and shows a green traffic light to get your attention to manually resume assisted driving.
Appreciate 1
      01-06-2021, 11:06 AM   #21
garysmith21
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
That's clearly not right. Does it do that on other motorways? Say the A1M? That junction looks a bit odd with the other road parallel, might be confusing it.

Sometimes the mapping data can be off, but if its consistently 100% suggesting you move off into the right-hand lane to exit on the left then Id take it into the dealer.
Thanks for responding. Attached pic is same motorway but different junction. You can see the instructions at the bottom of the screen (repeated on the main screen and in HUD) - first telling me I should be in right lane but then the next instruction coming in behind it correctly shows exit lane on left. Very bizarre...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 03:18 PM   #22
ChiefOne
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No it's just the normal assisted driving.

Even 'full' TLA doesn't resume the car driving when the light changes to green, if you are the lead stationary vehicle. That's too high risk. It just beeps and shows a green traffic light to get your attention to manually resume assisted driving.

Thanks, IFR, excellent insights!
I would have loved to have an alert on approaching traffic signals in the HUD. But the way it looks, it is blocked in the US and I have never coded before and I don't think I can take up that big of a task.