BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-22-2021, 05:57 PM   #1
Eggs5
Rep
Drives: X5 xdrive 30d xline (G05)

Remote Software Upgrade won’t install - no matter what!

So, I downloaded the 07/2020.54 upgrade but the car would never install it. It said I would be notified when the install could take place. That never happened and the update eventually disappeared from my car. No idea why.

Downloaded again, transferred to the car but got the same message given about being notified when ready to install. But, this time, I was also getting low battery warnings so I thought it must be that. Cold weather, COVID mileage etc all took a toll.

Took the car for a number of 150+ mile trips. No joy.

Decided I’d buy a CTEK battery charger. Battery meant to be fully charged, also not getting any sign from the CTEK that it can’t hold a charge. Was really confident this would sort the issue...no.

I’ve literally no idea what to do next. It’s been driven for hundreds of miles and now had a full battery charge which took all day and the upgrade still won’t install.

Any ideas before I give up and get it booked in? Mine is the 30d engine.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Eggs5; 02-23-2021 at 02:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2021, 05:55 AM   #2
jmilner83
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 3.0 M-Sport

I had the exact same issue and ended up buying a CTEK 5 too.. Did you set the charger to AGM and Recond?

Tried charging to number 4 light ("fully charged") but it wasn't enough. I left mine charging on AGM & Recond settings for 24hrs and it finally gave the option to install once i switched on the ignition.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2021, 08:11 AM   #3
ramparts
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmilner83 View Post
I had the exact same issue and ended up buying a CTEK 5 too.. Did you set the charger to AGM and Recond?

Tried charging to number 4 light ("fully charged") but it wasn't enough. I left mine charging on AGM & Recond settings for 24hrs and it finally gave the option to install once i switched on the ignition.
I can only assume it's ambient temperature related
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2021, 09:10 AM   #4
CMBX23
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' 540i M Sport

Garage List
2020 540i  [0.00]
I'm having the same issue, I contacted BMW "Genius" and the first question he asked me was if it was 14 degrees Fahrenheit or lower(it wasn't), then said the engine must be cooled down, battery fully charged.... I haven't been driving the car much because I have summer wheels on so it sits in the garage and I just start it up daily. I assumed it must be the battery from not driving enough but if you're still having the issue after driving it makes me wonder
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2021, 12:22 PM   #5
Eggs5
Rep

Quote:

It’s finally sorted.

I charged to 7 the first time (yesterday). In desperation, I put it on charge again today and let it do it’s thing. The only difference is that, today, I didn’t disconnect the CTEK, for whatever that’s worth, even after it reached 7.

Started the car, turned off and voila, a notification popped up that it’s ready to install. Install done, finally, after months with it ready in my car. Absolutely no idea why it wouldn’t install before. It had nothing to do with ambient temperature, car level, lights or anything else.

So, my take home from this is that the battery in my car is super super finicky and needs to be at no less than 100% (which appears a bloody faff to get to) before it will even think about considering whether or not it will let me install an upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 01:51 AM   #6
Eggs5
Rep

Quote:

Level 4 isn’t fully charged. That’s 80% and can be there for a day in some cases. Then it only passes level 5 if it determines the battery can hood a charge. Level 6 is recon, then Level 7 is ‘float’ or fully charged. From my limited understanding, recon isn’t necessary or recommended for AGM batteries (even though that’s an option in the charger).

Glad you got it sorted.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 05:03 AM   #7
jmilner83
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 3.0 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggs5 View Post
It’s finally sorted.

I charged to 7 the first time (yesterday). In desperation, I put it on charge again today and let it do it’s thing. The only difference is that, today, I didn’t disconnect the CTEK, for whatever that’s worth, even after it reached 7.

Started the car, turned off and voila, a notification popped up that it’s ready to install. Install done, finally, after months with it ready in my car. Absolutely no idea why it wouldn’t install before. It had nothing to do with ambient temperature, car level, lights or anything else.

So, my take home from this is that the battery in my car is super super finicky and needs to be at no less than 100% (which appears a bloody faff to get to) before it will even think about considering whether or not it will let me install an upgrade.
Excellent, thinking about it i didn't disconnect it either before turning on the ignition, could be on to something there. It's total madness the things we do for a bit of software eh. Hope your enjoying it and lets hope the 11/2020 update isn't as painful....!!
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 05:06 AM   #8
Eggs5
Rep

It is total madness, you’re right.

Stop start still not working though...

You know what, I’ll take the ‘win’ of the software upgrade and forget about everything else for now, otherwise I’ll go mad.
Appreciate 0