BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-07-2021, 11:10 AM   #1
greyt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 & iX3

How happy are you with your iX3

I cannot make my mind up on whether to go for an m40i or IX3.

I test drove an iX3 yesterday expecting not to like it but I was quite impressed. Interested in hearing how people are getting on with their iX3s and if you have any regrets?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2021, 12:08 PM   #2
Thanis34
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F10

If you can choose, I would still go for the m40i. In our country an m40i would have at least twice the running costs of an iX3 so the question is budget related.

On the other hand, I am VERY happy with my iX3 ;-) previous one was an F10 and besides the seats being a bit harder, everything else is at least up to the same standard. Driving is a lot more fun though as handling is extremely good in the iX3.
Appreciate 1
      08-10-2021, 07:23 AM   #3
iX3 rijder
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BWW iX3

Absolutely no regrets here. The car is comfortable on longer distances and once you get the hang of driving in “B-modus” (1 pedal driving) it became my standard.

I choose the car because of the boot (compared to Mercedes EQC, Audi E-tron, JAG i-pace etc) because I do need it for my hobby (scubadiving brings along quite some material).
The range and charge speed are not “top of class” but very, very acceptable. And the silence inside is something we enjoy fully. And one of my secret joys is “out-excellerate” certain ICE’s at the traffic lights.

The biggest compliment the car gets is my wife asking if she can drive every now and then….

Last edited by iX3 rijder; 08-10-2021 at 07:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2021, 07:42 AM   #4
greyt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 & iX3

Quote:
Originally Posted by iX3 rijder View Post
Absolutely no regrets here. The car is comfortable on longer distances and once you get the hang of driving in “B-modus” (1 pedal driving) it became my standard.

I choose the car because of the boot (compared to Mercedes EQC, Audi E-tron, JAG i-pace etc) because I do need it for my hobby (scubadiving brings along quite some material).
The range and charge speed are not “top of class” but very, very acceptable. And the silence inside is something we enjoy fully. And one of my secret joys is “out-excellerate” certain ICE’s at the traffic lights.

The biggest compliment the car gets is my wife asking if she can drive every now and then….
Thanks for the feedback. I am pretty sure I am going to go for the iX3 if I can get delivery my end of the year. I emailed my dealer on Saturday to attempt to place an order, typical BMW - I have yet to hear back.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2021, 07:57 AM   #5
Rikvdb
Private
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3

Same here, I have my car now less than a week but already truly enjoy it. I like it more than my 330e. Part also because it's better equipped, but mainly the comfort, interior quality, road presence and silence is really amazing. Love to drive it, love the instant acceleration (not missing the second to 100kmh less in which the 330e takes off) and the range is really good. Still trying to figure out what the best way of driving is for me but I also do a significant chunk of highway miles and still can touch 400km on a charge.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2021, 12:05 PM   #6
DaveCV
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: iX3 Premier

After 7 years of the i3 and one pedal driving, I have been trying to get used to two pedal driving again. The iX3 is a beast of a car compared to the i3 but it is in every sense of the word a true BMW. No regrets here even with some new model teething problems.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2021, 08:36 AM   #7
DjCoke
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: iX3 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveCV View Post
After 7 years of the i3 and one pedal driving, I have been trying to get used to two pedal driving again. The iX3 is a beast of a car compared to the i3 but it is in every sense of the word a true BMW. No regrets here even with some new model teething problems.
Are you not one pedaling with the iX3? I am loving my iX3. Especially the once pedal drive “B”-Mode
Appreciate 1
      08-14-2021, 09:43 AM   #8
DenverSteve
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW

I would like to be able to drive one. If it were available here I would.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2021, 08:02 PM   #9
eml
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe, F48 X1 xDr25i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveCV View Post
No regrets here even with some new model teething problems.
What "new model teething problems" have you encountered so far?

Anything else you've heard (but not personally encountered)?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2021, 09:16 AM   #10
DaveCV
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: iX3 Premier

Teething problems? Connected Drive has been an issue for me. I have had to delete and reinstall my user profile a couple of times. There is also an ongoing issue using excess solar for charging. The iX3 doesn’t like start/stop charging: it depletes the 12 volt battery. BMW is not alone in having this issue. I have also had a very noisy AirCon fan which, fortunately, appears to have settled down the more the car has been driven.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2021, 10:53 AM   #11
huggy509
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40d

I think only premier editions are available by end of year and I think M Soort models die for delivery around March are much better

My biggest hate on the current premier models is that it’s not all body colour, there is black plastic aroind bumpers, wheel arches and sills and it’s a pet hate of mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyt View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I am pretty sure I am going to go for the iX3 if I can get delivery my end of the year. I emailed my dealer on Saturday to attempt to place an order, typical BMW - I have yet to hear back.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2021, 06:20 PM   #12
the_ape
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 225xe / iX3 Premier Pro

Ordered my premier pro Friday, was lucky that the dealer network had one in the spec (well colours) I wanted in stock, and they have had to do some dealer trading (they are swapping the iX3 for an M4 they have in stoc to get it for me)

The one I've gone for is carbon black with the lighter interior (whic matches my old 330d whic I loved) and has the lazer lights, the only option really available besides tow bar.

So worked out pretty well. If I wanted to dealer order it, they recon March next year delivery.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2021, 06:53 PM   #13
gray1x
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

That's a result!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2021, 09:57 PM   #14
the_ape
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Yeah what I thought too, the 225xe I'm swapping in has just turned 3, so rather than have to deal with warranty etc.

Also, just changing jobs and the new one has a car scheme, where I can take an allowance instead of a car from their approved list (all VAG) so thought what the heck 😊
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 02:10 PM   #15
Sevenland82
Enlisted Member
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyt View Post
I cannot make my mind up on whether to go for an m40i or IX3.

I test drove an iX3 yesterday expecting not to like it but I was quite impressed. Interested in hearing how people are getting on with their iX3s and if you have any regrets?
Very happy!!

I still have it shortly but here are some comments

Some + things:
(It's my first BMW, so some things won't be special for the IX3)

The round button in the center is great! No need to touch the touchscreen.
The gesture control is also really functional once you get the hang of it.
The hud which also displays music info, parts of the navi map and driving assistance info.
The leather sports seats are firm and comfortable.
The adaptive B mode, how it adapts to what is in front of you.
Feeling when the pedal goes all the way in.
Panorama roof that can actually open but is also equipped with a sunshade.
BMW's navigation is good and because spotify is also on the BMW, I no longer use android auto.
The electrically retractable towbar

Some - things:
(luxury problems )
I need new sunglasses for the HUD (no polaroid)
...and no storage space for the sunglasses
In the MyBMW app I can turn on the climate control but not set a temperature.

maybe after a longer time there will be some more annoyances but for now this is it

No regrets!!
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 03:03 PM   #16
iX3 rijder
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenland82 View Post
Very happy!!

I still have it shortly but here are some comments

Some + things:
(It's my first BMW, so some things won't be special for the IX3)

The round button in the center is great! No need to touch the touchscreen.
The gesture control is also really functional once you get the hang of it.
The hud which also displays music info, parts of the navi map and driving assistance info.
The leather sports seats are firm and comfortable.
The adaptive B mode, how it adapts to what is in front of you.
Feeling when the pedal goes all the way in.
Panorama roof that can actually open but is also equipped with a sunshade.
BMW's navigation is good and because spotify is also on the BMW, I no longer use android auto.
The electrically retractable towbar

Some - things:
(luxury problems )
I need new sunglasses for the HUD (no polaroid)
...and no storage space for the sunglasses
In the MyBMW app I can turn on the climate control but not set a temperature.

maybe after a longer time there will be some more annoyances but for now this is it

No regrets!!
Have you discovered the small storage compartment left of the steering column? I managed to store my sunglasses there together with the Charging RFID cards and the keys for the bike rack. It is not huge but it works.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2021, 12:43 AM   #17
gray1x
Private
Rep

I had the same question on the app climate settings. Is it just aiming for a preset temperature?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2021, 02:09 AM   #18
iX3 rijder
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gray1x View Post
I had the same question on the app climate settings. Is it just aiming for a preset temperature?
Actually I never checked, next time I’ll use it (might me some weeks from now) I’ll try to find out. Interesting question. The times I used it, it looks like it runs on max but that is (subjective) personal feeling.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2021, 02:59 AM   #19
Sevenland82
Enlisted Member
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iX3 rijder View Post
Have you discovered the small storage compartment left of the steering column? I managed to store my sunglasses there together with the Charging RFID cards and the keys for the bike rack. It is not huge but it works.
Ohw... i will try this today.

About the climate control in MyBMW.
When activating it in the app its controling the temperature how you left it leaving the car.
I would like to control this in the app because i prefer other temp setpoints in the morning then in the afternoon or evening.
This should not be hard to make it happen?
Or reading the actual car temperature in the status.
Appreciate 1
      09-18-2021, 03:15 AM   #20
gray1x
Private
Rep

That's also where I keep my sunglasses 👍
Appreciate 1
      09-18-2021, 03:45 AM   #21
the_ape
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Was going to say on the 225xe the climate pre condition is targeting the temp you left when you exit the car
Appreciate 1
      09-18-2021, 02:42 PM   #22
RoosDK
Enlisted Member
Denmark
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3, 2021

Not sure about the iX3, and there is no mention of a specific temperature in the manual, but in the i3 I had previously, the precondition target temperature was always 22c, no matter if the car needed to be heated up or cooled down.
Appreciate 0